Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Dead Trees, Trash and Tall Grass & Weeds « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone else as bothered by the condition of our highway roadsides as I have been the last month? I'm beyond embarrassment - I actually got quite angry at the sight of it during a trip from Livonia to St. Clair Shores this morning (via I-96 and I-94). What must people from out of town think? I should mention that it's not just an issue in Metro Detroit. You'll see it all along I-96, from Detroit to Muskegon, for example. Things were a little better once I reached the "Grosse Pointe Communities" threshold on I-94, oddly enough...

It's not just the tall grass and garbage. It's the blown tire fragments, dead trees (still remaining from the Ash tree die-off years ago), weeds twice the height of the grass and piles of dirt/gravel on the shoulder. It's the areas where the grass is in such poor shape that large dirt craters have formed. The fencing is in terrible shape, too. For example, a portion of the fence 100 - 200' long at the east-bound exit ramp at Farmington on I-96 is curled up, half laying on the ground, half laying on the posts. It's been this way since January or so. Frankly, it looks like absolute shit.

I understand that the state is in trouble financially. I also understand that the winter last year eroded a lot of MDOT's budget, and has lead to part of the problem. But, in the grand scheme of the budget, how much can it cost to run some lawnmowers, pick up some garbage and fix some fences? The benefit to the regional image vs. the cost has to be overwhelmingly strong. Again, I don't know if I'm alone, but it puts me in a really foul mood when I see it. It takes major roadways that hundreds of thousands of people see on a daily basis and says: "Welcome to Metro Detroit. Throw your fast food waste out window. We don't care."

Is there anything we can do? I understand that the Adopt-a-Highway program exists, but I also don't believe it's something an individual can readily get involved in, nor should the region rely on volunteers for such a basic service (in my opinion). Get the community service "volunteers" out there on a weekly basis to pick up the trash and repair the fences. Maybe MDOT could resist dumping salt everytime a snowflake falls. Oftentimes by the time the salt kicks in, the sunshine or daytime heat melt the snow anyhow.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazoo - you're not the only one that has noticed. I've often thought that if someone came along the highways and just picked up the car parts along the way, they probably would have enough of everything to build their own vehicle. I've seen all sorts of stuff lying about in our travels. It is a disgrace. The other day we were taking the detour through the Gateway Project to come back across the bridge. The condition of that service drive and all the tall weeds and garbage strewn about; it all looked so nasty while we were backed up in traffic. I wonder what our out-of-towners thought. I've not seen any other approach to an International Crossing that looks so disgusting.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really fed up with the dead animals, especially dead deer, along the highways statewide. That's a health issue, and disgusting, too!

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a dead deer on westbound I-94 around exit 183 that's been there for months. It's now nothing but some skin and bones, literally. Before that there were a couple on the eastbound side near Haggerty; one I could actually smell it rotting in the sun when I drove by every day.

As to fences, be thankful that the fence is still there. Around here almost all the freeway fencing has been stolen.

(Message edited by Funaho on August 23, 2008)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on Michigan today in Inkster. I was amazed at how well kept the median was. At least one community is trying to put its best face forward.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray for Inkster. One stretch I used to notice when I worked out that way was Telegraph Road in Southfield. Their grounds crew kept up things very nicely.

That is just terrible about that deer Funaho. You can't tell me that someone in charge out that way didn't drive past that this whole summer. What a shame! Gives a real nice view of our surroundings to any vacationers.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2777
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the freeways look unkempt.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mich Ave in Inkster has good sod tween the roads, but what just hit me was the way DETROIT LOOKED in 1937, not a whole lot of change to me in my eyes.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed the high grass along the freeway as well. I think it hides the garbage better. The State has made budget cuts and nicely groomed freeways is probably something we can survive without.

Detroit1
Username: Detroit1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman,
I composed nearly an identical letter on the MDOT
website. I too was playing tour guide to friends from Arizona and was disgusted by the condition of the freeways this summer. Among others, the worst was I-696 from I-75 to I-94. Weeds several feet high filled with trash.

I received a form letter back from MDOT Communications Assistant Devon Pannecouk
explaining the budget shortfall. Unfortunately
he offered no remedies. His e-mail address is
PannecoukD@michigan.gov

Its not enough that Michigan has the worst roads
in the country. Now we also have the most unsightly embankments! Depressing....

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just jotted off an email to Devon. Probably won't do any good - but at least he's aware that we're noticing the lack of care.

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't bother me. It's a freeway, and you use it to get places. Unless the tall grass is making for a longer ride, I couldn't care less.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 700
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that this kind of maintenance is the first thing to go when the money gets tight. Even if the local community wants to clean things up, where MDOT owns the right-of-way, local governments can't do any work without first getting permission from MDOT. I believe that Southfield has an agreement with MDOT to maintain Telegraph which is why it still looks good. Same with Woodward in Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funding for roads has been strained as of late. Roads and transit are funded through a gasoline tax that is assessed by the gallon, not the cost. Hence with people driving less, the reciepts are down considerably. Costs for replacement materials such as asphalt and steel have gone through the roof as these are commodities (hence the scrappers have gone crazy). Last winter was also very expensive for road agencies as the snow seemed to always need to be plowed, the roads salted, and the pavements suffered big time.

The pie is only so big, and its getting smaller. This is also hurting transit, as both federal and state funds for transit are entirely paid for through gas tax receipts. At the same time, transit is being asked to run more buses and use more diesel which got as high as $5 a gallon (transit about 35 cents less as govt does not pay the gas tax).

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub and I both noticed that this year the city has been mowing the vacant lots around our houses (different neighborhoods, both East side) I know they've been in my hood at LEAST three times this summer. One time running over a bunch of full garbage garbage bags spreading trash everywhere. The next day there were a bunch of dudes working off community service picking it up. I found that pretty sad but funny.

My landlord was getting bills from the city for the mow jobs they would do on various props. he owned. He called and called about what addresses were mowed and what he owed. He called and called asking that same thing. After a while the garage he was calling that did the mowing and was supposed to have the records and was sending out these bills was sick of him calling. The garage just kept saying they would get back to him. Garage man finally broke and said "listen man, we just mow lawns and send out bills to the property owners, hope for the best and take what ppl send us, so dont worry about it, and quit buggin me" That there may be a reason why their mowing so many vacant lots.

Id rather have the freeways lookin good than the lots surrounding a burned out house. Correct me if Im wrong in this thinking. The weeds next to my house dont bother me, I grew up in the stix though (somewhat anyway).

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Django, I guess it don't hurt to live in Kwame's mommy's district. We don't get any of that stuff on the west side!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea Dp. I was assuming it was just a cheap way of bringing in some money. They do a horrible job of mowing btw. This is the first time theyve been out more than once a year as far as Ive seen.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got my email back as undeliverable. So that was a false email address - no surprise there!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4949
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least in the metro area the interstates and most of the state highways are bid out to contractors. Some years the request was for two cuts, others years for three cuts. Ideally the contractors are supposed to coordinate with the state to get the highway adoption program volunteers out for trash pickup about a week before the contractor gets to the section.

So, yeah, the interstates only get picked up a couple of times a year provided there are sufficient volunteers. Things that are traffic hazards the police or passing MDOT crews might move to the side. Add in all the in-state and out-of-state trash dragged via highway to Michigan landfills and there's crap everywhere.

Personally I like the ideas of deposits on ALL beverage containers and the banning of plastic grocery bags.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has always been a pet peeve of mine, and a major reason our roads don't last. We don't get basic maintenance around here. Those little bits of dust turn into pebbles, which chip away concrete and become stones, which become rocks... And so on and so forth until we have to replace the whole frickin thing. Instead of simply street sweeping once a week, we have to spend a billion to completely redo it.

SO FUSTRATING!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 658
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to be a smart-ass (yeah, right).

But....

The title of this thread sounds like the first line from a Dusty Springfield tune.

Quonset_hut
Username: Quonset_hut

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even in the 1937 Safety Patrol movie, at least one corner has weeds and a falling apart curb!!

Novine

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with two to three cuts per year, you'll be seeing tall weeds most of the time.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 955
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Houston last week and covered many miles of highways and freeways. Their Freeways in Texas looked like the emerald city compared to ours. My wife noticed that she saw no road kill at all even. Their grass is cut and the roads all still look brand new! Saturday I drove from Chesterfield to Canton and the amount of trash and debris was sickening not to mention all of the FOR LEASE signs! The condition of our roads is an embarrassment. Sure it may not be necessary for safety but if we let our roads get like that it is a window in to the condition of our state and city.

Novine

Post Number: 707
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does grass even grow in the summer in Texas? And what wildlife do they have in Houston besides armadillos? I'm not trying to be a wiseacre but comparing roads in places where it doesn't snow and the grass never grows doesn't seem to be an apt comparison.

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a news story several weeks ago that said MDOT was adding plantings to the embankments that need less maintainance, cutting, etc as a cost-saving measure. Of course, not cutting the grass is a less expensive alternative.
Michigan has always had crap strewn roads and "tumbleweeds" growing out of the cracks in the concrete median. It's our forte'.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.