Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The Trading Post « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Famous_jonny_mambo
Username: Famous_jonny_mambo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a memory of going to a hippie-hangout called the "Trading Post" on Woodward Avenue in Royal Oak as a kid. It was near the zoo as I recall. Does anybody remember the "Trading Post", where it was located, what kind of stores it had, and when it existed? I recall the smell of lots of incense and lots of day-glo posters.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 634
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Yes....I remember it well; would walk there from humble home in Oak Park - the place was hugely popular with young folks and the biker crowd.

My guess is that the bikers were selling drugs to the young folks - as was the case on Plum Street.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3337
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the one on Woodward, but there was also a Trading Post on Gratiot across from the Macomb Mall.
They sold a lot of hippie type stuff: posters, papers, other head shop items, records, etc.
I think there was a Tubby's sub in there as well as a pinball arcade. I'm pretty sure there was some drug trafficking going on most of the time, but probably out in the parking lot

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Trading Post across from Macomb Mall was owned by Denny McLain.

Jcole

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, where were you a few months ago when I was trying to remember the name of the place and other details??
Thanks for the info. Do you remember anything else about it, like years it was open, stores or where I can find that info?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the one on Gratiot had a head shop, a leather goods store, and a stage. Frijid Pink played there for about two years in a row in 1970 or so.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the one on Woodward, vaguely. I was very young when I lived in the area...but it was at the intersection of 10 Mile and Woodward, right across Woodward from the Zoo. Huge totem pole out front, I think. I don't remember going in there, although I probably did back in the early 60's before we moved out of the area.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 639
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig This:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ clt/799359591.html

Jcole

Post Number: 3348
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Bongman, now that you said it, I remember the leathergoods store, and I knew about the headshop. I was 14 in 1970, so I didn't get to see Frijid Pink, but that's cool to know. I was around there more in 72-73

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hedges Wigwam was the restaurant at the triangle formed by 10 Mile, Woodward and Main Streest in Royal Oak
Hedges Wigwam before it became Trading Post

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole,
Didn't hang out there much, so I don't remember the shops. A friend was commissioned to do some art for the Trading Post. That's how I knew about the Denny McLain connection.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6172
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We visited the Trading Post on Woodward several times around 1972. The most memorable thing about it was how crowded it was. Any straight retailer would have been green with envy.

It was a large residence converted into a collection of independent boutiques. One vendor made large custom colorful scented candles right in front of the customers. They were individual works of fantasy art. That shop was set up in a large hallway. I believe the candleshop was the cause of the fire that ended the place.

I also remember a stairway leading up to a private office. I always wondered what went on behind that door.

With that many freaks all in one place I would have expected open drug transactions although I never witnessed any.

That place had an atmosphere all its own. You felt it the moment you entered.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked there on and off when I was 16 and seventeen. I had worked for a couple that owned an indian import business. Mostly I worked at the downtown location but sometimes when they were short handed I would work at the Trading Post or their store in downtown Birmingham. I liked the Trading Post. It was full of very hip young entrepreneurs. No open drug use that I saw but I assumed by the volume of sales of hookas, papers, pipes etc pretty much every one from sellers to customers were using weed. I don't care for it myself but have plenty of friends who still indulge. I wish they would just legalize it.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were various smaller "head shop" emporiums that existed during that time period such as the Plum Pit on Gratiot. The Trading Post was the equivalent of a hippie shopping mall.

...and yes the place was owned by 31 game winner Denny McLain. A friend of my was busted there for shop lifting and was taken up stairs and was interrogated by Mr. McLain. My buddy said he would never smoke dope again and listen to the "Denny McLain Plays the Organ" album ever again.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What fond memories of a mis-spent youth. I grew up in RO and was a frequent visitor while in junior high. Can still remember the incense smells. And yes, there were, uh, independent businessmen around, but they were discreet.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the Roseville location, I was D.J.-For-A-Day in the big arcade. I have no memory of how I ended up with this tryout. Possibly, my friend Marie Wyszomierski, who worked somewhere in there, talked somebody into it.
This would have been in the early 70's, back when acts like Led Zeppelin and Cat Stevens were all the rage. So, here I come with my copies of Mountain Climbing!, Disraeli Gears, some Quicksilver Messenger Service, Moody Blues, maybe some Pink Floyd, Yes, Frost, Procol Harum, and probably some Al Kooper (for a crowd who, probably, barely even knew who ALICE Cooper was.)
When I say that I got a cool reception, I don't mean "cool" like "groovy."
I don't recall hearing any comments, from anybody, and I was not enlisted for a return engagement.
Rubes...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7223
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the name of the head shop in the Roseville Trading Post called Tobacco Road?

Jcole

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Tobacco Road was south down Gratiot.

Jcole

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a head shop thread over in HOF
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/123704.html?1215485 172
Gives a lot of info that brings back memories, or lack of it

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7225
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure about the Trading Post location, but Tobacco Road was located in what is today the Marshall Mall at 12 Mile & Gratiot, on the 2nd level.

Jcole

Post Number: 3369
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trading Post was across from Macomb Mall which is 13 1/2 Mile and Gratiot

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2589
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I "wanna say" that was the name, but I don't really remember.
Probably too much time spent on that "other" tobacco road, you might say.

(Message edited by ravine on August 23, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.