Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Wayne State University Farmers Market on August 27! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gaiadetroit
Username: Gaiadetroit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State is starting a Farmers Market on campus! The markets, to occur the 4th Wednesday of August and September, will feature all local produce. Some of the vendors that will be present are: Vang Family Farm, Earthworks, Grown in Detroit, Avalon Bread Company, Replenish the Earth, L Nantais Farms, Vandalia Gardens and more. So stop by, purchase some local foods and enjoy the vibrant market setting!

The market will happen at 5201 Cass, right in front of Prentis Hall and across from Detroit Public Library. It will be open from 11 AM - 6 PM.

The market is a project of SEED Wayne, a new program at Wayne State University dedicated to collaboratively building sustainable food systems at WSU and throughout Detroit.
http://www.clas.wayne.edu/seed wayne/

Hope to see you there!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13925
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Gaia, good to hear.

But, I've got to add...talk about your duplication of efforts...what is Wayne State, about two miles from Eastern Market?

Seems weird that they couldn't just work together...there is such momentum in the Market for this exact stuff.

Always good to hear more on this sorta thing...one day we'll all get along and work with each other, heh!

Cheers

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I do not believe that they is a duplication of what is going on at Eastern Market, Grown In Detroit or locally grown food can get drowned out in a marketplace as huge as the Eastern Market. Most students and families would like to get fresh veggies within in the neighborhood. (walking distance at least) Look for the Grown In Detroit Sign at Farmer's Market across the city: Corktown, Bushnell, Highland Park, Eastern Market, Warren Ave and now WSO, they are all supported by locally grown food right here in Detroit.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in Corktown?

Stromberg2

Topflight

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right in front of the old train station

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive seen some grown in detroit stands in eastern market, and I try to buy from them. Its mostly for the gorgeous girl that works the stand though. ha ha.

Ill definitely be checking out the WSU events.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on my calendar to walk up the street to it. I know of lots of others at WSU who plan to do the same. I hope it's a success so it'll be offered regularly!

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea. We're going.

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon writes:

"But, I've got to add...talk about your duplication of efforts...what is Wayne State, about two miles from Eastern Market?"

How is this a duplication? It seems to me that in order to be in competition they would have to be on the same day. What are your thoughts?

Gaiadetroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern Market Corporation is actually a partner on the project and has been very helpful in getting the market started. It is not a duplicate because it will be on a different day and at later hours. Also, it is hoped that many of the people in the Wayne State area that can't make it to Eastern Market on Saturdays will be able to make it to this market. Those are good concerns to bring up though, Gannon, and SEED Wayne also feels it is important to collaborate with other organizations and to avoid duplication.

In addition, vendors at the Wayne State '4th Wednesday' Market will be selling locally grown produce. Most of the vendors will be selling produce grown in Michigan, with one from Ontario. A few of the vendors will be selling produce grown in Detroit.

Wallins
Username: Wallins

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When in Corktown and the hours please.

Topflight

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOOK FOR GROWN IN DETROIT
Corktown Farmers' Market, September 13th
from 10-2, Michigan Ave & 14th Street in front of the Old Train Station. Bring recycling and take home produce.
Highland Park Farmers' Market, August 30th, Northeast corner of Woodward and Manchester from 10-2
Northwest Detroit Farmers'Market, Sept 4th, Sept 11th and October 2nd from 4-8PM, Bushnell Church Southfield Freeway Service Dr., South of Grand River Ave.
Eastern Market, Every Sat 6:30-3:30PM, Shed 2
thru October 25th

English
Username: English

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How wonderful is this???

This is one of the reasons why I love Detroit so much. It has such potential for future greatness in the midst of tragedy and loss. Something like this could be a prototype for inner cities across the nation... when I talk to my fellow doctoral students here @ MIchigan about some of the cutting edge sustainable/organic stuff happening in the city they are floored!

I really hope that this blossoms. Especially in the neighborhoods there are elderly people with no private transport and/or limited mobility who'd LOVE something like this.

Gaiadetroit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a great point English and I think it would be great if we could make it even easier for local elderly residents, possibly hooking them up with volunteers that will buy their food and deliver it at no extra cost... any ideas?

Topflight

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Lindsay Turpin Coordinator of the Garden Resource Program at the Greening of Detroit. She may be able to connect you with the gardens selling at market on these days. 313.365-1568

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.