Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Geneologists free on-line Source « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In looking for something else, I stumbled on a book titled "The Book of Detroiters" 1914 edition by Albert Marquis. Google has scanned the entire contents of the book. It contains biographical information of a whole bunch of Detroiters.

http://books.google.com/books? id=SRoVAAAAYAAJ&printsec=front cover&dq=%22The+Book+of+detroi ters%22&lr=

It runs over 500 pages, so it contains a lot of information about regular folks.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8345
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at that cover. Back then you brought things "Down to date" instead of "Up to date" apparently.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's an interesting book. I've been wasting time searching for dignitaries in SW Detroit, and it's amazing the number of addresses that no longer exist--swallowed up by the I-75 monster, I guess? Or have street numbers changed over the years?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1908 edition is also on the net:

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi /county/tuscola/det/

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mel - not sure of the exact date, but I believe the city changed its address numbering in 1921

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How were the addresses changed? Was it for the entire city? Would love to know if the address of my 3rd-g-grandparents was changed and if the house is still standing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.