Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Sportsman's Warehouse closes it's doors « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11837
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hadn't been down to the shopping complex in Allen Park for a few weeks. I was shocked to see that Sportsman's Warehouse closed it's doors and already sits vacant. Their last day seems to have been July 20th, according to the net. I don't think they'd even been open a year!

I gave them my fair share of business while they were open, though apparently there weren't enough others doing the same. Their products were among the best in the region, though obviously not on the same level as Cabela's, which really nobody is. Just hard to believe that in such a huge hunting and fishing state that a place like Sportsman's Warehouse couldn't make it.

So as it is, yet another brand new shopping complex, one still building and trying to lease vacant spaces, has it's second major anchor leave. The other being a place called World Market, or something like that. It now is replaced with one of those temp Halloween stores...coming soon!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 628
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you.

There is a new super-gigantic Big-Box sporting goods store in northern Ohio - just east of the I-75.

Looks to be about the size of the Louisiana Superdome!

Maryellen22471
Username: Maryellen22471

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

World Market closed all of its stores in Michigan.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-----World Market closed all of its stores in Michigan.

They closed all their stores in Metro Detroit. The Ann Arbor, Lansing, and a couple of other outstate stores are still open. Just shopped in Ann Arbor two weeks ago....

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sportsman's Warehouse at least out here in Tucson is way more expensive than our local gun/outdoor stores. Even their sales prices seem steep. I wonder if they shut down all of their stores or if they are just getting out of Metro Detroit. By the way whenever any of you visit Arizona, make sure to take the time to check out a couple of our gun stores. It doesn't matter if it is a big city or small town, you won't believe what you see.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smooka1....I agree; Big-Box sporting goods stores - possible exception of Dick's - have sucky prices on firearms. I've always done well at Wal-Mart (through their special order catalog).

Locally, there are a couple of low-price independent firearms dealers in Vandalia, Ohio.

2nd Amendment Rocks!

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a pretty cool gun shop in Taylor somewhere near Monroe & Ecorse. I bet it is still there. It put the big stores to shame. I only bought accessories there though, because I could never make myself go through the whole fingerprinting, permitting, asking the police if it was OK if I bought a gun routine.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4926
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabela's in Dundee should be closer than stores in Ohio.

(Message edited by lilpup on August 22, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.