Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The Best Detroit VIDEO I've ever made! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9WVxwuw_n_s

It promotes Oakland County also!

The first song is from played by my middle school in Rochester Hills!

Enjoy!

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a slide show.. and quite boring with no audio. :|

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8323
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a better intro than the last movie French. And I think it improves the movie greatly. Even though you still snuck a little bit of city vs. suburb in there, at least it isn't as blatant as the last one.

French777

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No audio?

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 470
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That pic of The Ren-Cen at 3:37 is off the hook, best pic I've seen so far. Take me away was a little too loud, but great video. Keep them coming.

French777

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I love that Picture!

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda sad, you need to put the suburbs down in order to make Detroit look good?
\
Its the feeling I got. I dont mean to belittle you, its just that you started with a sterile strip shopping mall and even emphasized the shopping experience,with literally no people in the mall or in that resturant, Its a comparison video

Also, that shot of the empty parking lot with the white stripes was a statement.(Yuk, blank, boring)
Very few people if any from the start, but you changed that to include many people in the Detroit photos as well as changing that bland solemn music from Oakland Cty to an upbeat tempo for Detroit......Its not impressive. Drop that beginning, the one where you single out Oakland Cty and start with Detroit..Maybe people will enjoy it after all

Thanks for listening,, don't mean to sound harsh Jane

(Message edited by janesback on August 21, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3444
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777, do you have a license & own a car?

French777

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes!

But my Parents don't allow me to drive to Detroit!

Only within Oakland County Borders!

ugh!

why you ask?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3445
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok, I was just curious to know.

That was a pretty cool video. I personally don't care for the suburbs myself. :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8334
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's only 16, Lnfant. Try offering constructive criticism to help him improve

Detroiterbybirth
Username: Detroiterbybirth

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But my Parents don't allow me to drive to Detroit! "

Hate to sound like a party poop French but your parents have a reason for this and believe me when I tell you that you would not understand .

Because you are young, happy, vibrant,eager and full of life and want to try to give people a chance and you want to see the world positively.
Even though those eyes have been tainted by people misinforming others as to thr real state of affairs within this city.

But you will understand eventually. Cut them a little slack.

As for all these people that would convince you otherwise, please ignore them because when you do get hurt they will not be the ones by your bedside.

Of course I will be attacked for this post but I expect it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8335
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Craigd, oops I mean Detroiterbybirth, this thread is about his video.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frenchy: Good luck (w/godspeed) with your videos. Your heading in the right direction. :-)

Detroiterbybirth

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey Craigd, oops I mean Detroiterbybirth, this thread is about his video.'

First off. I am not this Craig guy. Get that out of your head.

Second, he said his parents do not want him coming into the city. I only offered a subtle explanation as to why.

I hope you understand now.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post Detroiterbybirth. :-)

French777

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't drive there because I am a "New Driver" Once Thanksgiving comes along they said I can go!

They spread the good word about Detroit also at their work places in Troy and Bloomfield Hills!

Detroiterbybirth

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok French, just be careful of your surroundings and don't be too trusting.

Thank you Rise.

Detroiterbybirth

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and awesome video by the way.

Screw the critics.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They spread the good word about Detroit also at their work places in Troy and Bloomfield Hills!

Sounds like you have cool parents, French! I can see where you get your positive attitude from.

Lnfant

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love creative sixteen yr olds. My niece is one but isn't posting anything like this yet.

My advice is to you French, is to just keep doing it and always follow your vision. It will create itself eventually.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job French! If you really are only 16, I think you did a fine job.

French777

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice and such

Hey Lnfant

Does that mean L 'nfant which in FRENCH I think means Children?

(Message edited by French777 on August 21, 2008)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6700
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no way he's CraigD.

CraigD only posted on Non-Detroit. He would never venture to this side of the board...

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6701
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French777 - L'enfant = Child.

Les enfants = children.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8338
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters know some French because as kids they'd accidentally watch the Canadian Sesame Street.

Lnfant

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French: Detroit feels so raw to me–raw in a good way. But it can be quite dangerous and I would have to agree with your parents about using caution. My grandma lived on the east side of the City and I didn't live in the City or frequent going there (outside of going to high school) until I was in college. It was in college when my roots were really planted. I now live in the DC area and a long while ago (yr 1791) there was a city planner here with the last name L'Enfant. His designs were used in the District of Columbia and Detroit, both areas. That connection between these two areas is why I chose that screen name. I also use the "L'Enfant Plaza" Metro Stop to get to the Smithsonian museums, further drilling that name into noggin. According to internet sources, you are correct about the children reference, although I'm not particularly interested in them. Here's a blinkie for you:

Pierre Charles L'Enfant on Wikipedia
L'Enfant Plaza Metro Stop in DC

edited to mention my boring high school

(Message edited by Lnfant on August 22, 2008)

Lnfant

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you French-American, French?
My real last name is of French origin although it's NOT L'Enfant!

(Message edited by Lnfant on August 21, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh French, being that age in Detroit is so fun.

The bad things...

Just wait until you take your first wrong turn or exit and up on the urban prairies in Highland Park, or get your first parking ticket because your read the wrong sign, or end up running a red light because the one before it just turned green, or the best mistake... when the street turns one way, and you suddenly face oncoming traffic.

All worth dealing with though, as the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. It's all in your own perception, I guess.

I like this video, but I liked your first one the best. Apparently people still got the city vs. suburb feel. Maybe tout them as the "Detroit Tri Counties", or something like that first? Then maybe go into them in more detail? What do the rest of you guys think?

hmmm...

(Message edited by Sean_of_Detroit on August 22, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant, your gum thing reminded me of the blueberry on the old Willy Wonka Movie... Not sure why.

LOL!

French777

Post Number: 534
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My last name is...

Bevier ( Bev E A )

Its said like Bev then E then A Bev E A Bevier

My Dad was born in Detroit in 1954 as my mom was born in Cincinatti in 1954. Then moved to Bloomfield Hills in the early 60's

Silverbeauty
Username: Silverbeauty

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job on the video French.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to love driving around Detroit when i was a youngster. We would just keep going down Gratiot instead of turning around at the Wired Frog. Good times....any east siders remember Jane Street for fun high school times?

Lnfant

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I think about it, my high school was in Detroit too (sheesh, see how relevant that time was to me?)

The first time I got lost, I was with other teenagers driving on the expressway (I-94) in Detroit. It was the end-of-the-year band party, complete with pizza and pop to celebrate the end of the year. Two acquaintances I didn't know very well were to drive me home and we all discovered after a few miles that we were heading in the wrong direction! Now that would be no big deal. But that first time was SO ALIVE with excitement!! I had only been in cars with parents who always knew where they were going up to that point. It was my first full tablespoon of spontaneous life. Here's the part of the story that you may like, French, we discovered this when we saw the exit for French Rd!

French777

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the area by French Rd a Dump and by CAY

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey French, pretty good video, kid. I guess you would have to do a video with only scenes from Detroit to not hear stuff like "You're putting down the suburbs to make Detroit look good." Personally, I don't see that in your videos. Being pro-Detroit doesn't make you anti-suburbia. Keep on creating.

French777

Post Number: 537
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester Hills is pretty tough battleground for promoting Detroit but it seems as a lot of the High Schoolers are changing more to Pro-Detroit!

Lnfant

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't the area by French Rd a Dump and by CAY

On this mishap, we were on the eway and saw the French Rd exit sign that told us we were definitely going in the wrong direction. Fortunately Detroit has a very straightforward system for exiting and entering the eway in the correct direction.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3115
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not sure why a comparison is being drawn between an entire county, and a city.

Detroit is in Wayne County - why not try contrasting Wayne with Oakland ? How about showing downtown Northville (Wayne) with all its upscale wealth and ambiance, contrasted with some clapboard shacks in Hazel Park (Oakland) ?

Strange endeavor, at best.

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couldn't you have chosen GOOD music? I don't get it. What does this music have to do with the city?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3464
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm sure the purpose of the video wans't to showcase the sound, however French777, the videos would be better it they had some homegrown music in them (IMO).

Bloaf
Username: Bloaf

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Detoit has a ton of amazing bands and music. Why did you pick that stuff?

I also don't get the whole "Oakland County" bit.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French. Keep doing what your doing. I personally love it. I wish that at 16 I was doing this kind of stuff (of course all I had was an Atari 2600).
You stick with something you love and no matter what anyone says, your gonna be okay. If you ever want to shoot some grit from the D, page me and Ill show you what I can if you can make it down here.

I didnt like the switch up on the music during the slides. I didnt mind the music so much but the fact that it kept changing bugged me. As soon as I started tapping my foot the music changed. I would suggest finding a local band that would let you use their music so you dont have to worry about copyright infringement. Find a good band and stick with them. Make a mark and you'll find more music.

Just keep doing what your doing. Fuck the critics. The fact that they look at your work is reason enough to keep plugging. The real beauty comes when you get to meet one of your critics in person, down the line, when your doing good and their still writing on blogs or for Real Detroit.

French777

Post Number: 541
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the comments

I really don't want to go into Video Production

I want to an Urban Planner! But Video Production is like a hobby

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.