Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Great "Urban Frontier" Story on NPR on Sprawl « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This piece does not reference Detroit, but it's a very interesting spot on why suburban sprawl is continuing, although hampered, regardless of the economy. A 70 mile one-way commute blows my mind. If you have time, it would do you well to listen to the whole piece (7min).

Interesting quotes: "My friends who are very-pro urban see high gas prices as a terrific boost to urban living. I'm not so sure. As a culture we've really bought into the notion of spreading out, and we're gonna do our darndest to make it work."

It talks about how Phoenix is creeping to Tucson, and other "mega regions" that are being developed.

They're talking about a different kind of suburb - one that is already under construction - "New Urbanism" - that loft developments are being built and urban style living with stores on the ground floor and apartments on top - and that location is what it's all about.

When asked about building a development "in a far-out suburb" the answer was:
"We are the bullseye of commerce."

The reporter afterward said, "There are 30,000 people within walking distance, and hundreds of thousands of people live within a short drive. What used to be the edge, is now the center, and that's what O'Neil is counting on to get him through a changing world."

http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=9381513 0
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoyed the piece. Thanks for posting it.

Sounds like someone could do the same thing with 100 acres in Detroit. Turn the Urban Prairie into a "bullseye of commerce"?

Oh, to dream...........

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.