Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Obama and union hypocracy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a call a few weeks ago from a production company looking for crew for a political spot for Barack Obama. One of the key things they were looking for in crew members was that they had to be NON UNION.

I am sure McCain does the same thing. The point is the dems are by there own claims, the party of the union worker. And it must be true since so many unions blindly support the democratic party. IATSE the union that represents camera and lighting crews even urges their membership to vote for Obama.

I am not a Republican. I simply believe we need to stop for a moment and ask the democrats "what have you done for us lately?" "Why do yo continue to overlook detroit as a location for your convention?" "You claim to be pro union yet why do use non union camera and grip crews" The list goes on and on.

Wake up sheeple. If you continue to vote for people because of what they say they are, we will all suffer with the reality of what they really are.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see of I got you right. Detroit city commercial footage, Democratic President hopeful wants Michigan and requests non union staff?

With all the money he has raised and has been given by the unions he wants non union. This has to be a crank call. I'm a republican and cannot believe it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6153
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I got a call a few weeks ago from a production company covert Republican operative claiming to be a production company looking for crew for a political spot for Barack Obama. One of the key things they were looking for in crew members was that they had to be NON UNION.

You can detect their tactics before they approach if you just sniff a bit. It's a musky skunklike scent.

They also tend to be very proud of being deceptive and untrustworthy.

(Message edited by Jimaz on August 20, 2008)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt that the Obama campaign asked for non-union crews.

Detrola

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe me the call was legit. They were having a hard time getting camera assistants because everyone was booked. I was a union camera assistant. A side of myself I've only hinted at in previous posts. A cinematographer I used to assist for gave them my name. I've moved up so I turned it down and gave them the names of some younger guys who assist for me on occasion. That is when I was told it was a non union shoot.

Trust me it was no crank call. I was given the name of the Ad agency, DP, contact person from the agency, and details about the Camera system as they wanted a qualified person familiar with the camera. An Arri SRIII super 16 FILM camera for all you film is dead folks.

This is more common than most people would think. Not only are a good number of political spots non union, but most guys I know insist on cash up front or at end of day. They will hold onto film and or tapes until the crew gets paid. Political spots are notorious for slow or no pay.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6155
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread would benefit from some corroborating evidence.

Foosie
Username: Foosie

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seriously doubt that the Obama campaign asked for non-union crews.

Not the messiah! Give me some kool-aid.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh... I wonder why employers are not interested in hiring union members?

Novine

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the Obama campaign would be interested in hearing details on these claims. Non-union work on Dem campaigns is a big no-no. I would bet that the contract with the Obama campaign requires union work and that this ad agency isn't living up to that.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is Obama a hypocrite because ONE GUY who works for a production company asked for non-union labor? Did you personally speak to Obama? Did Obama himself order the production company to seek non-union labor? No...and no.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6220
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is "hypocracy"? Is that like a democracy organized by hippos?

Jimaz

Post Number: 6157
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is now beginning to fail due to a lack of corroborating evidence.

Foosie

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the messiah! Never! the world will love us once He's president.
I don't need corroborating evidence to know that the republicans stole every election in history!
Keep drinking the kool-aid.lol

Foosie

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops, sorry. I almost forgot.
It's John Engler's fault!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

....covert Republican operative claiming to be a production company....

Yeah, that statement would certainly benefit from some corroborating evidence!

Detrola

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can choose to believe me or not. My last post was a specific as I care to be. For those demanding corroborating evidence, do you really think I would make up something as mundane yet specific as "Obama campaign uses non union crews" ? Are you that blindly devoted to one party that you would think that this kind of thing is beyond the scope of possibility? You my friends are the sheeple of which I speak.

Novine

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe that the Obama campaign asked specifically for non-union workers. I can believe that an ad agency that is doing work for them did ask for non-union workers. I would bet that such a request violates their contract with the campaign. But you're more interested in having us play a guessing game than determining whether or not that's actually what happened.

Detrola

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No guessing game involved Novine. I spoke with a contact at the agency that insisted on a non union camera crew. I have little doubt that the Obama campaign has no knowledge of the actions of the agency. I never stated or implied that Obama himself requested non union crews. Like it or not Obama is responsible for the agencies hired to produce his spots. It should be spelled out in contracts that only union crews be hired. After all is that not what a true union supporting member of the Democratic should do. This goes to the larger issue that an agency working on behalf of the DEMOCRATIC candidate for President of the United States would insist on non union crews. They are ignoring politics and integrity in favor of the bottom line. As do so many "Buy American" Union loving American sheeple every time they shop at Walmart

Am I the only one that takes issue with unions that continue to blindly support candidates without holding them accountable. IATSE (the union that represents camera and electric crews) knows of this incident yet just this weekend their leaders urged their membership to support Obama.

As a fiscally conservative democrat I want my candidates to do something more that pay lip service issues be it unionism or any other number of issues. I want unions to stop blindly supporting a party that has done no more that their opposition to help the plight of union worker.

Last post as I am afraid most will continue to ignore the issues I raise choosing to question the truthfulness of my experience instead.

Novine

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see, you admit that as far as you know, the campaign knows nothing about it. But you continue to protect the party that appears to be guilty (the ad agency that is probably violating their contract) while attacking the campaign for not doing anything about it. What are you trying to pull here?

Maxdetroit
Username: Maxdetroit

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is "hypocracy"? Is that like a democracy organized by hippos?

LOL!

Be_in_va
Username: Be_in_va

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

even the teamsters have been forced to save money and use a non union contractor to build a union hall:

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies /doom/10/3.html

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teamsters using NON-union labor to build their union hall, because UNION labor costs too much! HHHmmmm. "Do as I say, not as I do". Just confirms my long held opinion of unions. lol

Superdave
Username: Superdave

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm a teamster and i'm voting for mccain. HEY OBAMA FANS. DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

Novine

Post Number: 699
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Kool-Aid? How does a McCain administration promise to be a good thing for a Teamsters' member?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cant say who i,ll vote for but as always i got a story. I worked in a non union print shop, small one at that. every month a certain public safety "charity" comes in has us print 1000,s of flyers,envelopes etc. Well on them were barely ledgeable union labels. I asked "why is this on here?"
The answer was get back to work don,t ask questions. never did again. 20 yrs later and now a union member i,ve seen both sides of the fence.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7346
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I never stated or implied that Obama himself requested non union crews"

sorry, but when you say "I got a call a few weeks ago from a production company looking for crew for a political spot for Barack Obama. One of the key things they were looking for in crew members was that they had to be NON UNION." and follow with "I am sure McCain does the same thing." that is MOST CERTAINLY implying that Obama is behind it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.