Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » How does Traffic Court Work in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ask because when I got a ticket in Wayne, I went to fight it. I was sat in a room with the cop that pulled me over and he eventually dropped it. When my friend got a ticket in Canton, he had to go to the Plymouth court and he didn't speak to a cop at all. He went straight in front of a judge. In Detroit traffic court, are you sent into the room with the cop or go in front of a judge? If you have to talk to the cop, what are the chances of the ticket getting dropped or the cop not showing up at all?

What happened was I drove my friend to Wayne State University and parked out front on Warren. It was 3:45. There were like eight other cars parked there as well. I went to put change in the meter and it still had 15 minutes left on it. I thought that someone left and just didn't use 15 minutes up on the meter. So we went inside. At 4, I came back out when the meter was set to expire and tried to put change in. It wouldn't let me and gave me the message something like, "No standing. Check coin cup." Since my coins weren't going in, I thought I was just lucky and the meter was full so I didn't have to put in any change.

I went back inside. A few minutes later, I saw a lady officer putting tickets under people's windshield wipers. I went outside and she said no parking there 4-6 due to rush hour traffic. I really didn't know and it was an honest mistake.

The fine isn't that big so I was thinking of just paying it. But if I could save my money, and the chances of beating the ticket are good, should I fight it?

Thanks.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3045
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just pay it. You have a very slim chance of winning this. The meter even gave you a warning that you were breaking the law. The "No standing" message was the warning. It did what it was programmed to do. If you had looked at the red signs on the poles around you they would have also said No Standing 4-6PM.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a moving violation so it won't have an impact on your insurance. It's probably cheaper to pay it and pay better attention next time.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much is your time and effort worth to drive down to court (paying for parking again) and wait for your case to be heard compared to the cost of the ticket?

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose you all are right. I'll just go ahead and pay it.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI... No standing means, no standing, parking, waiting etc. Basically don't even move your car in that spot. People are really clueless to what no standing means.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a parking meter (not a standing meter), so why does it say 'No Standing'? Wouldn't 'No Parking' make more sense? I guess the confusion is understandable to me.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

'No Standing'? Wouldn't 'No Parking' make more sense?

Nope, No standing is more encompassing, It by definition includes no parking. No standing means you cannot stop your car in that spot. If you can't stop your car there, you have no way of parking it there. No parking means you cannot leave your car unattended there, but you can happily wait in it.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a time when there were NO STOPPING, NO STANDING, and NO PARKING zones. "PARKING" meant leaving the car there with no driver. "STANDING" meant a licensed driver behind the wheel who could legally move the vehicle. "STOPPING" meant exactly as the word describes. You could STAND or STOP in a NO PARKING ZONE. STOPPING was permitted in a NO STANDING zone. I think "Ray1936" could chime in here, he probably remembers all of the details of parking violations in the Motor City.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 899
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just pay it. Why risk another parking ticket while you are in court.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the ticket is from a meter maid, and not a police officer, the meter maid's don't usually go to court. There are not enough them working.

So I would at least fight it.

The court is on West Lafayette.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus..whatta buncha virgins.
:-)
For a lame-assed parking ticket, just pay the damned thing. It's less grief than wasting a day in court.

For speeding or other moving violations involving penalty points, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS GO TO COURT! Don't hire a lawyer unless you actually did something of the felony flavor..mouthpieces are a waste of money in Michigan traffic court in my experience.

Anyway..for a "real" ticket, go to the court (it'll actually be an informal hearing before a magistrate, they don't bother REAL courts with traffic BS until you either kill someone or plead not guilty (DUMB!) at the informal hearing) see the nice city attorney, tell him your tale of woe,and nine times out of ten the charge will be reduced to something carrying a comparable fine and less or no points. You go do your thing with the mouthpiece representing the city, plead guilty to the lesser charge he offers, and continue your life as a licensed driver. Don't ever plead not guilty unless the sum of your fine & insurance increases will surpass the price of a lawyer..

Key to my own survival as a habitual speeder is KNOWING THE ENEMY. If what I've stated above confuses you, make it a point to go to court as an observer BEFORE your case is due. Watch how the folks who get off light manage to do so, and make like them..
:-)

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Detroit's city code:

Sec. 55-6-1. Compliance with signs.
b) Where signs prohibiting standing are installed, no operators shall stand or park a vehicle in any such designated place.

You would have a tough time winning your case.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year I received a meter ticket in front of the WSU Welcome Center,north side of Warren, parked in painted spot in front of the then-new paystation meter, except the meter had been removed for some reason. Ran in, paid thousands of dollars for tuition, returned to a ticket on my windshield. Walked a block down to the meter maid writing tickets, tried to politely ask about the situation, she refused to discuss. Took a dozen photos of the missing meter/other posted signs. Went to court, judge only/no metercops, waited about an hour (1st come, 1st served) with at least 100 other parking criminals, showed him the photos, ticket dismissed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.