Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit College Promise (news article) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Group plans DPS college aid
Jennifer Mrozowski / The Detroit News

A budding nonprofit organization hopes to provide full college scholarships to every Detroit Public Schools graduate, starting with a pilot program for the class of 2009 at one school to be announced this fall.

Organizers of the Detroit College Promise, modeled after the Kalamazoo Promise scholarship program, are seeking pledges from individuals and corporations to help fund the program and create an endowment, according to executive director Nat Pernick.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080819/M ETRO/808190372

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is awesome news! I have a friend who lives in Kalamazoo and also happens to be involved in the banking industry, and has indicated that the Kalamazoo Promise has definitely impacted business and residential interest and growth. If done right, this could be a phenomenal boost, and it could only help the dismal graduation rate from DPS.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This, if successful and well-managed, could be transformative to the city and region.

I am all for this, and if they pass smell when they start taking donations, people even if it's $10 should chip in. They should have a website that allows online contributions, so both big and small can easily contribute.

For instance, what a great campaign it could be to reach out to all the Detroit ex-pats and donate toward the future of the city in a very tangible way. So on top of using Lowell's bandwidth there can be some kids given real hope and people can really feel like a positive part of the future.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was working with the Claytown Neighborhood Revitalization Working Group, I suggested that this something that was worth researching and trying to apply to the Claytown area. I think that the benefits, both short term and long term would be astounding. It bring in a newer class of people who want good education for their kids. In turn these people will demand high standards for the schools and hold them accountable for their actions. When I was thinking about it, I had in mind students in the public school system and not private or charter schools. Another benefit would be the demand for an improved standard of living and in increase in the economy of the area providing this. I think there is very little that could go wrong with something like this. If I remember correctly the scholarships were only for in state colleges. I really hope this works out for the city. It could very well mean the turning point for our city.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitcollegepromi se.com/

website up and running - let's donate.

for me, i'd like to find one cause that I give to every year. it streamlines and focuses my efforts of giving.

this might be the one!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.