Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » The job outlook just got a little bit more dim « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With ads like these - http://detroit.craigslist.org/ ofc/804578328.html

Who can compete with that? Now these places are advertising on Craig's List, going mainstream, so the ordinary small business owner who might have just needed an office clerk, is able to get in on the offshoring action too and there goes another job.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats a fake

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you think it's fake? To those people working in India & the Philippines, any fraction of $5 per hour they make is probably a decent wage in that part of their world.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you follow the link to the website? It looks like a legit business but of course, it could be fake. It's so "in your face", and in Craig's List jobs section, of all places. Actually, it doesn't belong there since its not a job offer - I'm gonna flag it!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Read and weep - seriously, cry for the future of our country, as this is the trend nowadays:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.co m/blog/outsourcing-life/

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 675
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it's fake. But I doubt many small businesses are going to find it efficient to offshore that kind of work to someone on a phone in India. It's been done before and there are numerous accounts of people outsourcing their office functions even within the US. But cost isn't the only factor for most businesses.

Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that article is both amusing and depressing. If this is the future, we're all screwed.

Funaho
Username: Funaho

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's sad is that at least on the outsourced programming side of things, from my experience the quality of the work is absolute crap. I've had to clean up outsourced work on more than one occasion, because those guys know the programming language but they don't know how to actually PROGRAM.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE MISTAKES IN THEIR AD.

The first two bullet points under "Sales" are obviously wrong. I think it should read:

-Inbound/Outbound
-Lead Generation

or
-Inbound/Outbound Lead Generation

or
should it be "document generation?"

I'm not impressed.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhm. Like other work that is 'outsourced', I can imagine the quality will be quite horrible. I've yet to see anything of quality come from the use of outsourcing. They have no idea how to think outside of the box.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 8826
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything the trend in outsourcing IT has cooled. Exchange rates, increasing wages abroad, lack of good people and shitty quality is causing many companies to look here.

I have my own IT consulting company and I have as much work as I can handle yet I get emails every day from recruiters even though I don't even have my resume active online.

I think we have a skewed outlook being in this area because all we here is bad news around here.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing wrong with outsourcing... in fact, the new Mayor of Detroit was outsourced from Bangalore:

New Mayor of Detroit

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and I hear they're also planning to outsource the entire Detroit City Council...

a) it'll cost 1/100th the price of the present city council

b) they'll be effective

c) the new bangalore-Detroit City Council already owns tiaras and regal gowns for emulating Barbara Rose Collins (if need be)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't fake. We're being attacked and our government is allowing it.

We get offers by phone and mail all the time from Asian companies offering their services. Not happening.

Parkguy, all those pleas look like that. The person typing that is just relaying what some english speaking creep from here is telling him.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i troll craigslist every day and usually the post that say (Detroit Metro) are fake or spam. I do know we are screwed though. I have worked for guys in the CBD who think it is funny not to pay their employees for work

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got this one a few minutes ago.

I get these all the time.

""Dear Madam/Sirs,

We are the one of most competent plastic molding and final plastic products manufacturer. We can make any plastic products use die casting and injecting moulding as your need, including auto and motorcycle part, air conditioner parts, wash machine parts, chairs, and other daily applications.

Our customers including Panasonic, REKO, TOYATA, HONDA, HITACHI, KARCHER , we have more than 500 customers oversea. We also can be your OEM.

Click this LINK is our website for your reference. The following pictures only are part of our products. Please remember we can do ANY plastic products you see in your hause and office.

If you have interesting in our offer, please contact us and send us your demand including designs, we well quote you very competitive price.

Best regards

Linda.

YiZhong Plastic and Moulding

AUG 18th, 2008""

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It isn't fake. We're being attacked and our government is allowing it.

there is nothing they can do about it.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanna bet?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, why do you think the US government has any oversight on the internet especially users in other countries.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.