Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Great stories about the old time Red Wings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For any of you other hockey nuts out there, let me plug a book I've read over and over. It's a stretch to say this is appropriate for this board, but I've seen dozens or hundreds of less appropriate posts and threads, and anyhow Lowell can always whack it if he thinks it's out of line, and I won't get offended.

Brian McFarlane, who was a long time commentator on Hockey Night in Canada (one of the best programs in the history of television, if you ask the Prof) has written a book about the great old days of hockey, called Best of the Original Six. There's a chapter for each of the teams, which includes of course the Red Wings, which is why I would post it here.

Of course, McFarlane has a very slight Maple Leafs bias which he doesn't completely try to hide. But the stories are great, the love of the game and the teams comes through, and it brings back a lot of memories. The Prof, being of Noo Yawk heritage, enjoyed the Rangers chapter more than perhaps a lot of his fellow DYers will, but the whole thing is a lot of fun.

No, I'm not posting the ISBN; on-line my ass. Get yourself down to John King and buy it or have him get it for you. If we don't shop locally we have no right to complain when suddenly there aren't any local shops.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.