Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What Is The 5th Building On The Penobscot Block? (Small) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is all in the title (and restated at the end), for those that do not like to read through my posts.

I love the Financial District. It is a dense area that really has a New York density type feel. However, I don't walk around it that much. I mean, when I am there, I often am in a hurry, and don't pay attention much to my surroundings (a sort of sensory overload... it's denseness means there is a lot you don't notice by a quick walk to a meeting). I never have really just strolled through it, and really enjoyed it, I guess, you know?

The fact that a large amount of the businesses there, close in the afternoon, also means I don't have much reason to walk through there for non work issues... maybe just to visit Secretary Of State, which isn't often, and also in the morning.

Anyway, there are a lot of buildings (usually the smaller ones) that I don't know much about. One is on the Penobscot Block. It's notable on Live or Google Maps because of how much of the block it takes up. It's the long, old, flat building on the Penobscot Block, and takes up the entire West side of the block, facing Shelby Street.

What is that building? Is it part of the Penobscot Complex? Thanks to anyone who can help. As much as I know, there is always more I don't know (yeah go ahead with the smart comments, LOL).

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A building of great unbridled awesomeness. It is the former People's Savings Bank, a McKim Mead and White special from circa 1900 with an addition on the backside about a decade later to perfectly match the arcade of wonderment along Shelby.

The structure's uses have been many, but unfortunately none fitting of late. We are very lucky to have such a prominent building by MMW, builders of the late, great Penn Station in NYC. Hopefully one day it will be used again in a way befitting its most splendid design. Maybe a good secondary facility for auto show partying?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3013
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

151 W. Fort, known as the Savoyard Center. Designed by Mead McKim & (Stanford) White in 1900. Not part of the Penobscot complex. Was a bank for many years. More recently, has been a retail office supply store (Silver's) and a clothing retailer (Julian Scott).

http://www.michmarkers.com/Pag es/S0536.htm

http://www.loopnet.com/propert y/14619759/151-W-Fort-Street/

http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/topten.aspx

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, as usual, is entirely correct in her history of this building. I can only add that to call Silver's "a retail office supply store" does not begin to convey the elegance and coolness of Silver's. Nothing at Somerset Mall (Collection, my mistake) comes close to equalling the experience of walking into Silver's. While it did carry all the regular office supplies, it also sold crystal, furniture, and high-end decorative pieces. Also Sarah had a restaurant in the lower floor of the building. Silver's was a destination store. You would come downtown and pay to park in order to shop at Silver's because there were no stores comparable to it in the suburbs.

Alas, in time, not enough people came downtown anymore and paid to park in order to shop at Silver's even though there were no stores comparable to it in the suburbs.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 981
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stand in the shadow of the Buhl on any given afternoon and odds are almost even that a bum will offer to take your burdensome pocket change off of your hands. My personal favorite was the guy who looked like he lived in an alley but could sell you "herb." Then there are the LaRouche leafleteers...

Kathleen

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Neilr, for your beautiful description of Silver's. You're right, of course! It was always a treat to go into Silver's. And I loved both Sarah's at Silver's (I can still taste the egg, cream cheese & green olive sandwich! and Britt's (terrific scones and great soups and sandwiches).

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me that building always feels like it should be the base for a bigger building.

It's definitely a great building.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most recently it was "The Vault" nightclub which was around for a VERY short period of time. It's nothing now.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a superbowl party there. The interior was very nice.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure "the vault" was only open for the specific purpose of hosting superbowl parties.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is the only extant building in Detroit that was designed by Stanford White.

Stanford White... now, he's a whole other story, in himself. Harry Thaw, Evelyn Nesbit, the murder at Madison Square Garden... fascinating.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't there two statues on either side behind the columns in the entry way? I think that's the building I saw them at. At least they're somewhat protected with a Lexan shield around them.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had forgotten about Sarah at Silver's. I loved the carrot cake and ate a piece every day.

Sarah lives with her husband Tim currently on 6th Street in a building undergoing historic renovation.

I ran into her a year ago or so and she said she was a chef - either corporate or personal (I can't remember which)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7217
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Kathleen!

Neilr I too remember the upscale nature of Silver's back in the day. Wonderful richly appointed marble main former banking room upstairs.

Jasoncw, at some point in the 1990's I believe that there was a study done to put a hotel (or was it office?) tower of about 15-20 stories above the existing Silvers Building. Structurally it supposedly was able to bear the load, but nothing went beyond the engineering stages.

Fury13, IIRC, there was one other Stanford White commission in Detroit, and that was a Stanford White designed mausoleum in one of Detroit's older cemetaries (Woodlawn?). And yes the 1906 murder (shooting) of Stanford White by the husband of the woman he was having an affair with made national headlines back then.

IIRC, when the extremely heavy massive 2 main marble columns were brought to Detroit (via boat) for installation on either side of the entranceway, there was a sewer line that collapsed under the roadway along the route from the river by horse drawn carriages.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5494
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to my current job, I am able to see rare construction photos and other rare items associated with this structure. Go to the Library of Congress photo search and type "State Savings Bank Detroit" into the field. You will see a number of interior shots.

White also had a hand in the gate of the Yondotega Club. He was good friends with Freer...I do know Charles Platt worked on the garden of the YC.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gistok, was that ...nesbit? (can't remember her first name). also part of the story in ragtime? good book...

Kathleen

Post Number: 3016
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa: That would be Evelyn Nesbit.

Here's an interesting website: http://evelynnesbit.com/

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" The Girl on the Red Velvet Swing " Movie in 1955 with Ray Milland and Joan Collins.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks kathleen!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.