Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Pizza Bar to open in Downtown Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rode the People Mover today, just for kicks, and noticed a new sign on Times Square St. near Clifford that said "Taste Pizza Bar" or something to that effect. It's noticeable from the PM at the Times Square stop but the street gets hardly any foot traffic because there's nothing else on the block, so I doubt many people have noticed it. The windows are covered up. Anyone have any idea what's going on there or how long the sign has been up? I think the building used to house Icon, a nightclub that I saw open a few sporadic nights last summer.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, have to check it out.

No foot traffic now... but maybe when the Rosa Park Transit Center is open, things will be diffrent. Plus, will they be doing deliveries? It's a good location for that. Right in the middle of all the big apartments on the West side of the CBD. Not to mention, it's almost directly centered in between of four large CBD hotels (hotel guests are BIG customers if you are prominently listed in the in room directories). You have The Leeland, MGM Grand Hotel, Holiday Inn, Book-Cadillac, Fort Shelby, and Sheraton. Then you have the occasional office party orders, and possibly a "treat" for students at Cass Tech. Washington Boulevard also has a whopping four senior living high rises, where healthy seniors live, and love to walk to nearby amenities within the few short blocks of their apartments, or who will have grand kids visiting often (sometimes it's just easier to get a pizza and some 2-liters). You also have night life. Not a ton of night life in that area, but the you people living in the Washington Square, Kales, Park Apartments, Claridge House, Town Apartments, and many others will go to clubs... and have people over before (on occasion). Pizza is a great option for those guests too.

The location is great! It even has easy parking. You'll notice that there are actually several pizza places opening in this area recently, or soon. Including on in the Kales, another on Woodward, and (of course) the Pizza Factories strategic move to Capitol Park.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a little Washington Boulevard market analysis and related opinions in my own notes that would fit in very nicely here... but it's going off topic, and I don't want to put my haters through being forced to read another long Sean_Of_Detroit analyses post (since apparently someone is twist their arm, and making them read every post and comment).

I'll just say, for local retailers serving the needs of CBD residents, Washington Boulevard is the place to be (not the only location, but a really good one).

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I hope you're right. I'll be down in that area this fall. I look forward to it.

YPD

Amgasper01

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite the in depth analysis of the pizza situation downtown, Sean, but all I want is to be able to get a slice of pizza at 2 in the morning on a Saturday night to soak up the Oberon. This sounds like more of a pizza buffet type of place, judging by the sign.

Where is this alleged pizza place opening on Woodward? I know Papa Romano's opened up a place on Cadillac Square, but that's another typical 9-5 lunchtime place for the CBD. Also, I've made a lot more pizza in my own apartment since Shields "opened" inside the Kales in the "Spring of 2007."

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pizza and beer, two of the most beautiful words.
Is it nice or a counter dive?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a new pizza place in the storefront where Flat Planet Pizza used to be in Eastern Market, but granted that's not downtown...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new place in Eastern Market is called Supino, I do believe. Here's some links;

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/roundup15608.aspx

and...

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/supino14408.aspx

Very nice!

I'm looking for the article about the one taking over Como's attempted location...

Detroitmaybe
Username: Detroitmaybe

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are not open yet! It is owned by the same people that owned the club there before and they have now decided to open a pizzabar. It will be opened on Sept 15. and they are currently hiring.

If you are on Facebook they have a page there. Just check out Taste Pizzabar

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign says "Taste - a pizzabar experience" - and a guy I spoke with outside the door today said the pizza bar, on the second floor, is set to open in about a month. The main floor club looked pretty rough. They completely gutted the building - and quite a bit of work is needed on the first floor.

Amgasper01

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the same confirmation from the guy today. They need to do some serious advertising, because there is hardly any vehicle or foot traffic on that street. Also, I hope they hold more regular hours than their former club, Icon. That place was only open when there could find a promoter, which was very seldom.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11836
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, pizza bar on the 2nd floor, club on the 1st? If I recall the layout, you'll have to use the same entrance as the club, right? Using my tried and tested common sense analysis, combined with my own mental notes, this venture will be short lived. I give it a year tops before the pizza bar goes the way of Asian Village.

Powerball
Username: Powerball

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Taste Pizzabar and club run as two separate entities. The club is called Premium. The restaurant is actually owned by a group of investors that are bringing this concept to Detroit. Other cities such as Chicago and Atlanta has been home to Pizzabar's for a very long time. They just updated their Facebook page with pictures of their equipment being delivered. You can access their page by going to http://www.new.facebook.com/ho me.php#/pages/Detroit-MI/Taste -Pizzabar/20444455637?ref=ts

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.