Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » For everyone complaining about DPS and Detroit kids « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 12095
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008808190323

Here is your opportunity to help a great kid. I suggest as opposed to complaining abuot how horribel Detroit has become you put your money were your mouth is and offer help.

I recommend that you contact the author and ask where to send donations as opposed to complaining and criticizing.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for this. I warrant you will get very few responses, Jt1. I made similar appeals 4-5 years ago on this site when I was a DPS teacher.

(A few forumers did actually step up, but they weren't the ones doing the most slandering.)

I am currently mentoring through my church, but next year plan to "kick it up a notch". As a former Girl Scout (and GSUSA Silver Award recipient) I'd love to be a troop leader sometime soon. I just need to do the training...

Jt1

Post Number: 12096
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

(A few forumers did actually step up, but they weren't the ones doing the most slandering.)

That was my poorly worded point. The people that care are already doing great things. It is the people that complain and condemn that should help the parents supply such a great, potentially life changing opportunity to this child.

It sounds like the parents are willing to take out a loan on their home which just is another indicator that they are involved in her education and are definitely doing their part as parents.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just emailed the contact on the bottom of the article to find out how to donate and if I get a response will post it here.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't blame kids, I blame parents and the school system and teachers union.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why should we put our "money where our mouth is?" We already do that by giving quite a lot in per-pupil allotment to a school district that wastes it, misallocates it, hires incompetent teachers and does a piss-poor job of teaching kids.

We're not supposed to complain about this?

Jt1

Post Number: 12104
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why should we put our "money where our mouth is?" We already do that by giving quite a lot in per-pupil allotment to a school district that wastes it, misallocates it, hires incompetent teachers and does a piss-poor job of teaching kids.

We're not supposed to complain about this?

Missed the point entirely. Fel free to complain, citizens of the city should be angry about much of what is done in DPS. But, if the system is that flawed and this girl can overachieve to this extent I would certainly expect that she would be worth a few of your dollars. Its always easier to bitch.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for helping the girl, but many of us in the city see every single day the living results of DPS, and find that too few people complain about it to the degree that they should.

Jt1

Post Number: 12106
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm all for helping the girl, but many of us in the city see every single day the living results of DPS, and find that too few people complain about it to the degree that they should.

I agree which is why I think that the kids that excel should have every opportunity.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The difference between the Detroit Public Schools and suburban districts is parental and community involvement, period. I was unaware of the extra burden placed on urban teachers until I began teaching in a richer, more privileged district. Things that were major projects (i.e., obtaining supplementary texts, field trips, basic supplies) magically appeared in my new school and department. In fact, administrators, parents, and community stakeholders anticipated the needs of students without even being asked.

I will never forget proctoring the high school proficiency examination at my new high school after working very hard at Cass Tech for years. The morning of the exam, the LSCO provided a FULL breakfast for all students and staff. Not continental, folks -- FULL BREAKFAST. In addition to the extra instruction, these students were competing with my Cass Tech students on a full stomach.

It's the little things that count. I just wish that we as a nation would be honest for once and admit that some kids "count" more than others. Honesty -- which means coming out of our collective denial -- is the first step towards change.

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the info I got from the writer:
Send donations to
Detroit Free Press, ATTN: Nichole Christian
615 Lafayette Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226

Check made out to Mrs. Tanya Greir
in the memo put People to People Donation for Micah

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English: the scenario you describe is an example of what a RESOURCED school looks like.... DPS is an UNDERRESOURCED school district...not because they don't have the money...but the monies are being MISDIRECTED, IMHO. I also concur with your point about the impact/power of parental and community involvement.

I will add that access and application to information matters as well. Students in RESOURCED (but also read: White/suburban) districts get exposed to standardized testing (SAT, ACT, etc.) in ELEMENTARY schools, in some cases. Me, in particular, a product of DPS, didn't get exposed to the ACT until I HAD TO TAKE IT THE FIRST TIME! So before we even get to talking about test performance (and test anxiety), let's talk about TEST EXPOSURE. Exposure to the test will reduce test anxiety by leaps and bounds.

And to the point about this DPS child performing well DESPITE certain conditions within DPS: what a case to make for the PROPER APPLICATION for affirmative action. Here's a little girl from an urban (read: underresourced) school district who performs in such conditions and yet compete with other students who have the access to learning within "other" (RESOURCED, SAFE, LEAD/ABESTOS-FREE, CARPETED, AIR-CONDITIONED, if you will) conditions.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much did you donate, Jt?

Jt1

Post Number: 12112
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The difference between the Detroit Public Schools and suburban districts is parental and community involvement,

Absolutely which is why the concept of merit pay is so laughable.

quote:

It's the little things that count. I just wish that we as a nation would be honest for once and admit that some kids "count" more than others.

I love it when you clearly say what I would stumble through.

quote:

.... DPS is an UNDERRESOURCED school district

I think that DPS wastes a ton of money but they have needs in numbers that most district don't face. Just compare free and reduced lunch numbers if you want to see the different challenges. DPS cuold go a million times better with money but they still face difficulties most districts don't, or at least in much higher numbers.

Jt1

Post Number: 12113
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

how much did you donate, Jt?

I am dropping a check for $50 in the mail.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a response but it seems someone beat me to the punch of posting the info on where to donate. I dip in to my pocket daily to help other peoples' kids (my students) and never have a problem dipping even more to help a kid who really deserves it.

DPS might be mismanaging funds left and right but it isn't this kid's fault that she attends a district that doesn't give a rat's tush about her and probably won't spend the 2 grand she needs (but will continue to provide catered meals for Board committee meetings at 1 grand a pop). If I were Board members, I would vote to forego the catered meetings (just one uncatered meeting per committee would do the trick) and donate the money to this kid!

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4956
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a similar topic, I saw this in this weeks Crain's DB http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080818/SUB/808180323

"Business leaders are watching with interest a grassroots effort to fund college tuition for Detroit youths who graduate from the state's largest school district."

It has worked wonders for Kalamazoo.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I am dropping a check for $50 in the mail."

what address did they give you?

Jt1

Post Number: 12117
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Send donations to
Detroit Free Press, ATTN: Nichole Christian
615 Lafayette Blvd
Detroit, MI 48226

Check made out to Mrs. Tanya Greir
in the memo put People to People Donation for Micah

I would hope that you would send a little to her as well.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 867
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to the Garden and read or mentor a kid.

It costs you nothing but your time and will produce instant, positive results.

I am tiring of people who bitch and don't do anything, and this site seems to have its fair share of those who like to point out the errs of the school systems and parents yet do nothing to fill in the gap.

Stop bitching because it has does nothing ans start doing. We already know where the problems are, but even when viable solutions exist, it is like pulling teeth to get people to participate.

We are seeking donations for the kids school supplies. Contact Cub to make a donation.

And by the way, Jt1 is making a difference, by helping with donated books and his support at the Garden. Give him a break, as he has done more than most.

Lowell-

They have the same college promise program in Inkster, too. It works.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better news. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080825/NEW S06/80825029

The graduation rate in Detroit Public Schools was 58% in the 2007 school year, according to a new state calculation, making it far better than some previous measures which estimated it as low as 33%.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.