Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Pervis Jackson dies of cancer today at 70 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080818/E NT04/808180394/1409/METRO
I can't tell you how much I love "Rubber Band Man," ever since I was little
RIP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__bvmRIA8bU

(Message edited by alley on August 18, 2008)

(Message edited by alley on August 18, 2008)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A year or so ago, McDonalds had a big event for black franchise owners at the Downtown Marriott. I was working in the hotel as that event was going on and there was a concert. I thought it was some cover band until I asked someone who the entertainment was. As it turns out, it was The Spinners! Quite an exciting moment.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good, very excellent news coverage on this by Fox2 I was surprised to see. You'd initially think "not such a big deal". But then you think about it, and what people said about him, and the band. Tellin' ya kids, embrace your heritage. Oh, he died quietly in the middle of the night, in his sleep. Rock! \m/

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7654
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew his mother and his son Pervis Jackson the III who is Autistic. His son attended Burger School for the Autistic in Garden City, MI. His mother and father was so proud that the school took care of him.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6695
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-( RIP. Another of the greats lost.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to 102.7 this morning playing a tribute of Pervis and the Spinners. So many classic songs.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8595
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Spinners- what a great group. Sad loss.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never realized "It's a Shame" was written by Stevie Wonder. I always liked that song.

How many entertainment stars in recent weeks does this make?

RIP Pervis.

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences to all family members.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad; Pervis Jackson and The Spinners were a Class Act - everything they touched, turned to solid gold.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The song where you can really hear him is "Games People Play". They all take turns singing and his part starts out "12:45". I loved that version of the Spinners lineup with Philippé Wynne. When my friend Tyrone came to visit I couldn't play "Sadie" because it would make him cry.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.