Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Down trodden Detroit fights for its very soul « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6692
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Out of America: How much worse can it get for a city, when a house is sold for $1, the mayor faces corruption charges, and even the T-shirts warn you off?

Sunday, 17 August 2008

What more indignity can a great American city take? Its main industry is falling apart; the mayor hailed just seven years ago as its saviour has turned into a national joke, facing a dozen felony charges. Now a house there has just sold for exactly $1, as much as a McDonald's cheeseburger, but only after a three-week wait for a buyer.

Readers will probably have already guessed the city is Detroit, whose very name is shorthand for the collapsing US car industry. Today, one in three of its inhabitants lives below the poverty line, while its population has fallen since 1950 by half, to barely 900,000. These days, even the dead are fleeing. The Detroit News reported last week that, for every 30 live people who leave, one corpse does too, as relatives scared of visiting cemeteries in crime-infested neighbourhoods have their loved ones moved to the safer, predominantly white, suburbs.

From across the ocean... another take:

http://www.independent.co.uk/o pinion/commentators/rupert-cor nwell/rupert-cornwell-down-tro dden-detroit-fights-for-its-ve ry-soul-899611.html

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3418
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, by next year, a McDonald's Cheeseburger will be worth more than a home in Detroit.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8281
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent. Then I can pursue my villainous plans of buying entire neighborhoods and turning them into gated communities.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....All this from a gentleman from Great Britan...gee I think their problems with dental decay surpasses the ruins of Detroit's industry.
Want to get a kid to brush his teeth? Show him a few pictures of a British smile!

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That just goes to show you how far our reputation is reaching and it's not that good.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the pre Super Bowl attitudes. :-(

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow the British teeth joke, we haven't heard that one before, how original.

Aiw

Post Number: 6693
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee sorry Sludgedaddy for posting that. I guess it doesn't matter that the sorry state of affairs is news on the other side of the world.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, thank you for posting the article. I found it interesting.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, The United States is not held in very high regard in the eyes of most countries overseas. Pointing out the plight of the City of Detroit by foreign media is akin to a swift kick to the groin to the U.S. Most foreign journalists are reporting what they happen to see from their perspective and not that of a Detroiter,however.

That view perhaps will change when and if new inspired leadership appears not in a pimp suit but with rolled up sleeves. Not in a tricked out Escalade, but with a photo op on a tractor or an earth mover. When it's children are willing to learn in a educational system willing to teach. When the grass is mowed, reforestation is started and the move into the 21st century begins....then watch how world opinion will change.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I miss the pre Super Bowl attitudes.

I miss the pre-1970 attitudes. :-(

Aiw

Post Number: 6694
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy, that may be so, but Detroit because of its musical past is held in very high regard across Europe.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "When it's children are willing to learn in a educational system willing to teach. When the grass is mowed, reforestation is started and the move into the 21st century begins....then watch how world opinion will change."

Thats a great outlook, but nothing to back it up. What has changed or is going to change that is going cause this to happen?

I was just downtown a few hours ago. It's really sad. So much history rotting into the ground. People make a city, and the people I see there don't seem to care. I'm sitting at a light and some kid comes flying down the parking lane on a motorcycle and blows right thru the red light. You think that person cares about the quality of community in Detroit? Escalades out in front of houses that haven't seen paint or a new roof in 70 years at least.

I'm sorry, but until the people of the Detroit suburbs change, the city will continue on it's path. One cannot keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Actually, by next year, a McDonald's Cheeseburger will be worth more than a home in Detroit."

By this rationale, the BiG Mac, Quarter Pounder, etc are ALREADY worth more than a house in Detroit.

Quote: "I'm sorry, but until the people of the Detroit suburbs change, the city will continue on it's path"

Why? What's wrong with the suburbs (I think I know what you're getting at though).

What Metro Detroit needs - what the whole city needs for that matter - is a completely open no-holds-barred forum on Detroit, the suburbs, race, politics, economics - the whole nine yards; Kind of like the summit Karmanos called last week regarding Kwame-gate.

Has anything like this ever been tried? At least since the 67 riots??

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The science fiction genre extrapolated on two views of the future:

1) A Technological Utopia
2)A return to the Primordial

It seems the Metro area and Detroit is on a road to the later. Depressing... I'm driving a 16 year old hooptie and not the promised Lev-a-Car.

Sad, very sad, Stashman, the scene you described.I't also very sad when the children of Surburbia are zombied out on Ritalin and plugged in to Star Wars vid games and probably never have seen a real night sky.

.....well, it's cooler outside now. I guess I'll go outside, pick up the blowing chip bags and mow my Detroit lawn.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.