Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Economic Development Corporation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8265
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have been watching the Olympics, you have seen a bunch of commercials featuring Jeff Daniels from the MEDC. They are very well done I think. I like that they bring in actual companies who do business here in various fields and have them give testimonials, like ePrize and the solar panel company.

What I'm wondering is if these commercials are only in this market, or are they playing out of state?

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine that they are playing around the country. These commercials are by no means new - they have been on the air for months. I know that I have seen them while watching TV in Atlanta, Chicago, and Dallas this year. Usually, they air on CNN or Headline News though.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8272
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dannaroo. That answers my question pretty conclusively.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see them all the time in TX.

They should know what they're doing, but it's difficult for me to see a company moving from TX to MI.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see them all the time in TX too. I'm actually embarrassed by their pandering, and cringe when these commercials come on and I'm in the presence of others.

It would be extremely unlikely for a company to leave TX for MI.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see them all the time in TX too. I'm actually embarrassed by their pandering, and cringe when these commercials come on and I'm in the presence of others.

It would be extremely unlikely for a company to leave TX for MI.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JohnLodge, I'm wondering when you're seeing the ads running. A primetime NBC network Olympic ad would cost a fortune. You can usually tell if the ad is in the Network slots at the beginning of the commercial break or during the local segments. They may be running during local segments but also several targeted markets during local timeslots. I have watched quite a bit of the Olympics but have not seen any ads on Buffalo NBC network coverage. I have however heard the Tim Allen spots promoting Michigan tourism on the radio here in the Toronto area this summer.

Detroit1
Username: Detroit1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detx and 3rdworldcity......

Direct sales cookware company "Demarle at Home"
recently moved its HQ from Houston to
Highland, Mich.
Source-Detnews.com, Business archives-Aug 5, 2008.

fyi........

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8291
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, I will have to pay better attention. I do not know when in the commercial break I have seen them, but I have seen them often on the local NBC Network during Olympic coverage.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never understood the bashing on these promotional ads. If you don't think government should be doing promotional campaigns, that's one thing. But if you're going to do these kinds of ads, the "Pure Michigan" ones that highlight the state's natural resources and tourist destinations do a pretty good job of selling the state to people from outside Michigan. If I was living in Texas, views of the Great Lakes would look pretty appealing right now.

The same with the "Upper Hand" campaign that's geared towards economic development. They focus on high-tech and unique industries that aren't what people normally think of when they think of Michigan businesses. Detx calls it "pandering" but I doubt any organization running such a campaign is going to present anything but their best spin on a state's economic situation. The people running companies can read the papers but if any of this gets people to think of Michigan as a place to visit or do business, it seems like a good investment.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4442
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Story on the MEDC on the news today:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=913f4c46-8834 -4aad-8005-863be6024119

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 526
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats great news!

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MEDC places ads in WIRED magazine too.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8293
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the comments on that story. Every one about Kilpatrick, but this story has nothing to do with him or the city. Evidence we can't move forward in the current mess?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i see them in CLT daily!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.