Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Anyone Know a Battered Woman's Shelter? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter collected about 40 old cell phones at her Chicago area college with the intent to donate them to a Shelter. She didn't get a chance to drop them off before leaving the country, so she gave them to me to do it for her.

The phones have been floating around my trunk since June and I want to get rid of them. Anyone know of a Shelter that re-habs cell phones?

Thanx

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if they do or not, but Alternatives for Girls is kind of a women's shelter. Not necessarily battered women only, but women. And they might want them...

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one in Pontiac.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8245
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked Haven's wish list, but phones were not on there.

These guys will take them though:
http://www.recyclingforchariti es.com/

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8246
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, they recycle the phones, then make a donation for you to the charity of your choice.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7303
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the one in pontiac is called, i think, the Haven

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3585
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to double-check, but I think that Lighthouse in Macomb County offers those services.

I know that there is a program in the area collecting old phones for seniors, even the analog ones, to distribute to them in case of an emergency.

Right now, that name escapes me.

I can see if I can find it if you're interested?

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Victim's Assistance Program with Common Ground collects old cell phones, rehabs, and distributes as emergency phones for victims of domestic abuse. They would be extremely happy to accept your phones. The contact number for Common Ground is 248.456.8150. just ask for the VAP program.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Resue Mission Ministries has a house for woman. They are located at 131 Stimson if you want to check it out.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To protect battered women, shelters are not publicly listed. The Detroit Rescue Mission will probably distribute them after delivery.

Otherwise, The YWCA is always a good place for donations.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also Turning Point in Mt. Clemens. But I think all donations go through the Lighthouse office which is on Gratiot in Roseville.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A warm Ravine welcome to Crosswordgirl.

I like crosswords, and I like girls.

Still young enough to conquer crosswords.

Crosswordgirl
Username: Crosswordgirl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you for the welcome Ravine.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.