Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Spitting Nickels Guitarist Passed Away « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My apologies if someone already posted this; I looked through the threads and did not see anything.

Anyone who attended the free Blue Oyster Cult show on Friday already heard something about this, but to fill you in: on Friday night local band Spitting Nickels opened for Blue Oyster Cult for the Rockin' on the Riverfront free show. During their set, guitarist Thomas Furtaw collapsed onstage--heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital. He passed away that night.

There is a nice article in the Freep here: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080816/NEW S01/808160394

I guess I'll speak for everyone when I say that our thoughts are with his loved ones as they grieve this kind, dedicated, fun-loving man.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband worked with Tom, he was a truly wonderful person. Our prayers go to his wife and his children.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there. Here's my early report. And here's a a later one. My thoughts go out to his family and band mates. I hope they are comforted knowing Tom died doing something he loved. It was a great crowd, a beautiful night and the band sounded sweet.

Cincinnati_kid
Username: Cincinnati_kid

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard he was AG Mike Cox's right-hand man. Srry to hear.

Becca65
Username: Becca65

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats sad.. RIP! Prayers to the family

Jlongton
Username: Jlongton

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my band is scheduled to play with the Spitting Nickels on Sept. 26th at Jacoby's. I've been looking forward to that. I'm sad that I won't have the chance to meet Tom. I had no idea what a successful, involved person he was...on top of making great music.

9936sussex

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did not have a heart attack, it was an aneurysm.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Info on benefit show for Tom Furtaw's children...

9936sussex

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Melody....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.