Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Dream Cruise in Ferndale. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nine Mile at Woodward. Two blocks east and west closed off. Both sides featured live music, with local favorite Barbara Payton belting out bluesy rock tunes on a stage east of Woodward. Behind the stage was a mechanical horse next to which a street performer in cowboy outfit showed off gun twirling skills. After the cowboy finished showing off crowd members hopped on the horse. A Charlie Chaplin impersonator twisted balloons into animal shapes for children.

West of Woodward was a long line of vintage police vehicles, with visiting Canadian Mounties,and cops from surrounding cities. Street performers entertained on the West side as well. Food booths featured Polish-Barbecue-and Carnival favorites Sausage and corndogs. Step into a cab of a delivery truck to view how vehicles are made at the Ford Rouge plant. Check out the vintage RV's. With the exception of a few smart ass kids the crowd was diverse-tolerant family friendly. Ajs cafe was passing out free Peach smoothie samples. There was one of those inflatable things that kids bounce on.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there strolling my son. We watched the Reefermen, always good! Checked out the mechanical horse riders (with the operator's gun slinging and lassoing) and we saw the Charlie Chaplain and the mime, who gave my son candy. Also the man who juggled 'machetes.' The Canadian Mountie's uniform was awesome, the firemen were out of the cute fireman hats by the time we got there, we had Dudek's potato pancakes, a snow cone, and called it a good day :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were there too! Enjoyed the vintage fire engines and police cars, the new Mustangs, the Fender bass tent, ... Stopped by the Strawberry Moon Bakery for a yummy sandwich and salad before watching the Sirens and Lights Cruise from the median across from the Magic Bag. Caught a bit of The Reeferman too. A fun time!!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby East is an awesome guitarist!
I wish I knew who to look for (from DYes) while I was out!

Terryh

Post Number: 902
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the guy on the vintage bike brown shirt-shorts hat and brown suede Italian loafers. Let me know in advance Ill introduce myself. I ran into a sales rep aquaintance real cool guy gave me a good job lead.He was working one of the food booths.

Waltbaby01
Username: Waltbaby01

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been at that intersection for the Dream Cruise for the past 4 years. Love it there. Able to pop in, enjoy myself and pop out, without dealing with much traffic. I'll be out there again, Saturday for sure.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 980
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agree...My wife and i were out with our daughter...It was a good ole time.

Is it just me or is Ferndale loaded with children?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the old cop cars. Saw the Coronados at the New Way bar, great show.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You did? Were you the guy I met? I played with Coronados around 5 p.m. at the New Way. My singer introduced me to someone from DetroitYes, but I don't get his name.

There were people around, but the traffic seemed normal to me. I pretty much just played my show and got out, but it was fun. Lots of cops, lots of kids. Seemed like a good time, but not really my thing.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, that was me. Took your singer and his girl to a party after your show. I made us some Brazilian Caipirnhas which we drank late into the night, hope they got home ok.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha, they'll be fine. Rick's made of rubber anyway. Nice to meet you! :-)

Terryh

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a 'chalk car' for celebrants to autograph and mark up with chalk. The kids loved it!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8241
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We really liked the Model-T area on east 9 mile. Plus at the Roush display I got to show my wife one of the Mustang Cobra-R's I got to take a ride in during their development. Only now it actually has an interior, and a lot less computers. Only 300 made.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.