Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Suggestions on Detroit Apartments? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yooperindetroit
Username: Yooperindetroit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone,

I am starting a new job in Dearborn and would love to move from my current location in Troy to Detroit. I am wondering if anyone has some quality apartment's to recommend in the downtown, midtown, corktown areas. I have tried searching and cannot seem to find anything except the large expansive apartment complexes outside Detroit. I do not want to buy at the moment, just rent for a while. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Price range would be helpful. Try http://detroitmidtown.com/05/m idtown.php

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8181
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.amurcorp.com/commun ities/orleanseast/index.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5263
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fyfe and Kales buildings downtown, in addition to the one riverfront tower that is still for-rent. There are a ton of smaller-scale options in midtown, and some are so cheap. Check out the cool apartment buildings on Ferry and Palmer between Woodward and Cass. There are some really good rents there, and you can take 94 or Warren to Dearborn in 10-15 minutes.

Mdoyle's link will help you a ton. Just look through it all--- the nomenclature is kind of funky (i.e. what they put under Cass Corridor and what they put under Wayne State).

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, a price range would be very helpful.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This subject has already been discussed to death here, so much there is a megathread about it in the HOF section. Enjoy...

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/88170.html?11991518 49

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 974
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belcrest:
http://www.belcrestapt.net/
don't let the shitty website fool you, the building is an AMAZING 1920s apartment building on Cass - complete with outdoor pool.

Hope, INC. - where i live, very inexpensive, studios are $400, singles $500-550, doubles $550-750, all have free heat & water...
ROBERT MABERACK (owner) 313-881-4052

If you would like a house, try Renaissance Investment Co.
http://www.margaretpalmer.com/ home.asp

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Margaret Palmer. She'll put you in a place that's great for you, for a good price and do right by you. She also does apartments, too.

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Margaret Palmer - she's the one! Wonderful person to deal with. Lives in the area, too!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1978
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Belcrest:
http://www.belcrestapt.net/
don't let the shitty website fool you, the building is an AMAZING 1920s apartment building on Cass - complete with outdoor pool.

Jesus, the picture advertising the pool shows the pool empty and filthy, lol.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Studio One Apartments in Midtown.

Yooperindetroit
Username: Yooperindetroit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for leaving out the price...my mistake.

From $400 to about $700, depending on what is included. I am looking for a one bedroom or studio.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5266
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/m idtown.php?offset=0&type=&cat_ id=19&msub=

Rents even go below 400 in some spots on Ferry. You can't beat the character of that area, the nearness to the DIA, DFT, etc., and the quick freeway access for going to Dearborn.

Good luck.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At that price I could not give enough praise to The Pavillion here in Lafayette Park. I live there now and it is absolutely spectacular. Great price, good amenities, and the perfect location. It's just a10 minute walk to all downtown/riverfront attractions, and about 10-15 minute drive to Dearborn.

The staff is great and the neighborhood is the most affordable good neighborhood in the city.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

star -

what is the price range for the Pavillion?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am paying $535 a month ($35 of which is parking). I dont recall if that was a special rate or not though. Here is a link to their site...

http://habitat.com/residences. asp?m=intro&id=45&state=MI

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry but I'll have to respectfully disagree with the Belcrest. Other than for the pool, I find it is ridiculously over-priced.

In general, places near Wayne State are relatively more expensive, and I find, shittier than many other places in the city. The location is convenient, especially if you're a student(and the landlords know this), but apparently you're not. Much of it is essentially student housing- apartments and flats chopped up ad infinitum and beat to hell over the years.
Those websites list the most expensive places and I find Margaret Palmer's places also to be way too expensive. I don't mean to sound so disagreeable, but this is all from my experience. I lived in the Corridor for years.

Corktown and downtown seem like good bets for you. Southwest and Warrendale are nice but less "trendy" for lack of a better word.
Pick up a copy of the Monitor or take a brief cruise around and call the numbers at buildings that are for rent. Both areas are geographically small so it wouldn't take too long.

I found my house in the Monitor

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3402
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow @ those rents. You folks have it good.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

star -

Is that a one bedroom or studio?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in a studio at that price. Sorry for the confusion.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem - thanks for the info

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Uke are you Ukrainian by chance? I know a Ukrainian girl who lives in Detroit and I know there aren't too many left nowadays! Perhaps it is you?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 416
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was walking by Nikki's and Loco's in Greektown on Tuesday and thought the old apartments above the eateries would be cool to live at for a while. They had a leasing sign out on the sidewalk. Always wanted to see what the inside of those apartments are like.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow @ those rents. You folks have it good.

Heh, I was thinking that. Not only the rents, but the $35/month parking (I seem to recall the Pavilion being garage parking too). Underground parking in my building runs $130 and it's CHEAP.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to recommend Jennine Hynes over at Esquire Properties (see link below). She has just been awesome with my circles.

Link: http://www.miwalkableliving.co m/

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm living at the Claridge House Apartments for the summer, and I think that they are the best value out of all the places downtown.

Studios starting from $550, 1 bedroom units btw $650-750. And the places are HUGE! My one-bedroom is probably ~1100 sq ft, with great closet space. Nothing special about the apartments, but more importantly, nothing wrong with them. Everything is average or slightly above average.

When looking at places, the Fyfe building had much better views at similar prices, but the CH apartments are so much bigger and nicer that it is easy for anyone doing a back-to-back comparison to choose the hands-down winner.

The only short-term lease options downtown are the Kales and the Claridge House. However, the Kales is nicer and much more expensive.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I third margaret palmer. She sold me my home. If you are looking in the area she is the one to talk to.

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deteamster - indeed I am Ukrainian. One of those Detroit ukes. Lived in Detroit for 54 years. Still here.
I think the apartments near Wayne State are great. The sheer size of them for the rent is awesome.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grrr... I got one of those simultaneous posting errors. I'll start my post over, later.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.