Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Forbes is the VH1 of magazines « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, their methodology is so screwed up it is comparable to VH1 saying "We Built This City" by Starship is the worse song ever made.

They have lost all credibility with me.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I notice is when the media does mess with Detroit, Detroit is the only city that gets upset about it.

Just shut the fuck up & go on with your lives. I don't see any other city about to have a riot over a dumb (although at times true) list.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're simply capitalizing on the situation. We're in the national spotlight in a very, very negative way right now. And it's the whole region that is looked upon poorly.

So, it's reasonable to say they'll sell more magazines if they make sure to include the city that is in the headlines for being so f'd up - reinforcing negative perceptions, in many studies I've seen, gets great buyer response when it comes to media.

May I suggest - I read the Harvard Business Review, anyway. Forbes is too candy - I want real discussion with real research. That costs money.

However, it's not bought as much because it's $17 on the newsstand, whereas Forbes is a few bucks. HBR is worth every penny, though, if you're serious.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.