Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Free Movie Under Eastern Market's Shed 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greggnewsom
Username: Greggnewsom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long time reader, first time poster! I wanted to get this up here as it's going to be a great night to visit Eastern Market. ~Gregg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 11, 2008
Phone: 313.316.1411
email: gregg@detroitevolution.com

FREE MOVIE NIGHT MOVES TO EASTERN MARKET'S SHED 2
Due to incredible interest, Detroit Evolution Laboratory will be screening the new documentary Food Matters underneath Eastern Market's beautifully renovated Shed 2.

Detroit, Michigan, August 11, 2008 – Food Matters, a controversial new film on the roll of nutrition in healing, is receiving a great deal of attention worldwide. The Detroit premiere, presented as part of Detroit Evolution Laboratory's ongoing Free Movie Night Series, has continued this trend. The film is being shown on Tuesday, August 19th at 6:30 pm. With over 50 attendees registered through the screening's website, the movie will now be shown underneath Historic Eastern Market's newly renovated Shed 2. This event will continue to celebrate the shed's re-dedication on Saturday August 16th and give people an opportunity to visit the shed apart from the essential Public Market Saturdays.

Food Matters aims to further jolt the trillion dollar worldwide 'sickness industry' by declaring a range of scientifically verifiable solutions for curing disease naturally.

Lisa Forzley, who advises Detroit Evolution on Humane Education practices, organized and is promoting the screening and the ideas behind the film. "You are what you eat." But what does that mean?" asks Forzley. "The truth about what we're consuming is often hidden from us. Rather than our health being the #1 consideration of corporations producing our food and conventional medicines, the dollar sign tends to be their greatest motivation. We have the ability to uncover what it is that we're really putting into our bodies."

Nutritionists turned filmmakers James Colquhoun and Laurentine ten Bosch, have produced a bold film based on a challenging and potentially startling message; that with the right kind of foods, supplements, and detoxification processes, we can prevent, arrest, and even reverse chronic illness.

Angela Kasmala and Gregg Newsom, owners of Detroit Evolution Laboratory were enthused and concerned about the great response to the screening. "We just previewed the film, it's powerful and we think it should be seen by as many people as possible" said Kasmala. "Due to this, when we hit our capacity at the Lab, rather than stop, we elected to find a larger venue and the Market seemed perfect."

Newsom and Kasmala contacted Dan Carmody, president of Eastern Market Corporation who embraced the idea. Using a projector, screen and PA system everyone will be able to relax and take in the incredible amount of information this movie presents. Due to the change in location the event will now begin at 6:30 pm with a short introduction and opportunity for discussion and questions afterwards. Though some chairs will be provided, it is advised to bring a blanket, folding chair and a light jacket or sweater.

In addition to the screening, Kasmala, Newsom and Forzley will share information on how to take the concepts presented by the film to a local level. Newsom posits the potential of healthy New Detroit "Due to the current economic and political situation in Detroit people are quickly realizing that to get things done we need to do it ourselves. Supporting local agriculture, growing your own food, and learning the healing qualities of food are three activities that can quickly create swift and positive change in our personal lives and our community. There are many ways to participate in this change here in this city, on your block!"

The screening is open to the public and free. Those attending are asked to RSVP through the Lab's website (http://detroitevolution.com). This movie night will be held Tuesday, August 19th at 6:30 pm. Eastern Market's Shed 2 is located at the corner of Russell and Winder. Parking is available in the lot adjacent to Shed 2.

View the trailer and RSVP at Detroit Evolution Laboratory's website: http://detroitevolution.com

About Detroit Evolution Laboratory - The Lab is a unique space in Detroit's historic Eastern Market dedicated to the health, joy and liberation of all beings. The Lab offers yoga, vegan and raw food classes, catering, nutritional consultation and meal planning. Individual bodywork, reiki and NLP sessions are also available. The Lab is also dedicated to sustainable practices and presents workshops on these and other topics to assist in and inspire a New Detroit.

- END -

If you'd like more information about this event, Detroit Evolution Laboratory, or to schedule an interview with Gregg Newsom and Angela Kasmala, please call 313.316.1411 or email gregg@detroitevolution.com.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I e mailed your Press release to several people.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13746
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may turn out to be pretty huge...hope to see some of y'all in my backyard!

Cheers, consider this thread 'bumped'.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One friend forwarded your press release to 36 people.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no idea there are organized raw foodies in Detroit. This is great!

I just viewed the movie trailer and it just looks like propaganda. I'm a big fan of raw food and natural healing, but why are the arguments are always against pharma?? Pharma has saved so many lives. Why can't we all just get along??

(Message edited by Lnfant on August 13, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 13849
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a wonderful night in the Eastern Market tonight...thanks to more than 200 hundred people who showed up in Shed 2 to view this documentary.

I had a wonderful time with some of the most amazing and beautiful folks in this city...and we will be doing this again.

Kudos to Gregg and Angela, two new friends that I know will have quite an impact on Detroit's health...and one really big one to Craiggy for his excellent interview this morning on DetroitTODAY.

We're hoping he learns that not everything with an ORGANIC label on it is healthy...more than a few of us spit-laughed at his Organic Pop Tarts stunt on-air!

Cheers and a huge thanks to all who came out tonight, it was really a pleasure serving y'all with my talents...the show went so well, Dan Carmody is already planning the next one.

We'll let you know well in advance here, but please bring your own chairs...that was pretty much the only thing we couldn't provide.

I'm still riding out the afterglow...

Gannon

Post Number: 13855
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(bump)

So a few of the newbies can find it in the morass.

Gannon

Post Number: 13864
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HERE is the Food Matters website, along with the trailer.

I don't see what tickled Lnfant's post above...they must be well within the current system to be SO sensitive and defensive against this very truthful documentary.

If I hadn't gone down to my high school weight while adhering to these practices in the past few years, I wouldn't be such the evangelist myself.

There is health, inner peace, and harmony with nature to be found in eating whole, raw foods for the majority of your meals...and since we get only ONE body this lifetime, I figure I'm worth the investment.

Anyone crying about the cost of buying good food and taking the time to prepare it may already have signed their own death warrant...I simply don't understand it.

I love it that this documentary has confirmed that so much of my previous research and behavioral changes are spot-on!

Cheers on the way to better health in Detroit,
John

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second everything Gannon said about last night. I came with two friends who are not vegetarians but we were all pumped up after seeing the movie and just being around so many wonderful people. I most enjoy these events because it gives me hope for the future to see young people so dedicated and passionate about creating a better world. I may not agree with everything I saw but it definitely makes you think.

Oh, and the vegan food served at the event was excellent. My meat eating friends were duly impressed.

Gannon

Post Number: 13868
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never got to sample the food...too busy setting up the sound system.

I hope you heard everything OK, we learned a TON last night for the next one.

We're aiming for an early September screening of King Corn, which I've heard about but haven't seen.

Dan Carmody says it has more humor to it...although I just loved the dialogue from that one bearded doctor in Food Matters. DRY humor no doubt, but quick-to-the-heart truthful, too!

I'm glad you and your friends had a good time...Gregg, Angela, and I really had no idea what to expect.

I still cannot believe we pulled it off, and the video screen didn't blow down with the wind!

Cheers and more!

Margarite
Username: Margarite

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sound was fine. It was the sun that caused problems. Once it went down behind the buildings we could see just fine. I'm looking forward to the next screening.

I do have one question for you. When we were parking a woman with a bicycle came up to us even before we were out of the car. She assured us that she wasn't dangerous and wouldn't hurt us but she needed money to buy food for her and her kids. I'm pretty sure she was making that up but she was very convincing and persistent. She was carrying a takeout box of leftovers that someone gave her. We gave her some money and she asked for the plastic bag that was in the car to put her box in and she was on her way. Is she a regular in that area? I usually only come to the Market on Saturday mornings and I haven't seen her before. I figure since you live in the neighborhood you'd know.

Gannon

Post Number: 13901
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We wanted to warn everyone about her, but didn't know how to approach the topic with such a diverse group.

She is a regular all over town, and is a scam artist extraordinaire. She truly is an artist.

For years she appeared roughly six or seven months pregnant, until once I remembered the entire time frame and told her that since gestation was longer than twelve months she was due to birth an elephant!

Found out later that she would down an entire box of corn starch, which would distend her belly like that immediately. She's been around downtown for over six years...at least half of that time falsely pregnant, so I fully doubt she has any real children.

I'm not sure what her issues are, she will not talk to anyone personal directly, unless she does with women...I've not known any male to be able to learn her full story...and she's one of the regular street people downtown that I don't know by name. Not sure why, but I've got a heart for these discarded people, and they usually open up and are quite straight with me...knowing somehow that I wouldn't judge them harshly even learning their worst behaviors (although it doesn't sound like it with my words here, believe me when I say it).

Thanks for asking, I brought her up to Gregg when we were setting up, and at the end of the evening he must've said something to her because he went well out of his way to track me down to confirm the story I told him earlier...he had to let Angela know he wasn't just being rude.

When she rides her bike around Sala Thai during lunchtime, I will call Tommy to let him know...I will never chase anyone away from my backyard, knowing there is always the potential for retaliation.

I've seen her as far west as Corktown, north as Wayne State, and east as here...she is easily the hardest working street con artist in the city.

Cheers

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.