Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » People Mover proposed service change « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for any DYer who may be in this particular loop: The People Mover folks are holding a public meeting Wednesday afternoon to discuss a proposed service change which will take effect on August 18 when the DPM reopens. However, the web site and notice do not give any indication what the service change is.

Do any of you have this piece of information? The Prof is much obliged if you'd share.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4718
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they going to run the trains in the opposite direction?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 513
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it doesn't mean a higher toll like 75 cents?

Change Direction is stupid all the people from the NAIAS want to go right to Greektown Ren Cen Mil Center ect

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ So do the people leaving the Tigers game....

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8139
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a joke, for pete's sake.

French777

Post Number: 514
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats true

but why don't people just walk?

Its the Summer in the D! What could be better!

We park at the Compuware Bld for 5 dollars and always walk!

NAIAS is in January its different

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they are finally adding the bar car I've been asking for.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt mind them taking Kwame's fraudulent face off the side of the DPM.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DanInDC may be joking, but I think he's right.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 917
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How true is the renovation to the historic look of the hotel on the inside?

It seems like the decoration and paint jobs are very modern and not really the old world style that the hotel had before, save for the plaster work????

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea what it is all about. Here are some random thoughts though (for those who care).

Change in direction would make sense. The Grand Circus Station would attract riders going to Greektown who normally just walk, or stay around the park. Meanwhile, Joe Louis and Cobo riders would still be the same distance from Greektown. The Ren Cen and Millender Center would really be the ones affected. But they really aren't THAT far from any of the other stations except GCP.

If it somehow increases ridership and the urban "feel", then whatever.

On another note, I wonder if it would be possible to cut out trains. Could they (with the new adjustments and repairs) run the trains a little faster, and maybe eliminate one without reducing capacity? Maybe reduce them to single cars? Another possibility is to pull off trains or cars during "off" hours. Evening CBD visitors do not need the trains three minutes (?) apart like the daytime CBD workers do (except on busy event nights).

Just thinking, and hoping they are doing the same.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The change in direction is true,
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080815/NEW S01/80815048

French777

Post Number: 521
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds Good!

4,000 - 5,000 riders a Day!

Thats alot more than i ever thought!

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4725
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray! What do I win?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw it running in the new direction last night

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8222
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hooray! What do I win?

A free ride on the people mover, of course.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the new direction might help grab more people from comerica to go deeper downtown.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 889
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, 26 seconds faster in the new direction. They better have some barf bags available.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only the most inefficient waste of money for public transit could actually have been running less inefficient the past 20 some years....come on--it was never tested going clockwise when it was designed??

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Riders’ 50-cent fares raise about $1 million a year of the People Mover’s $11.2-million annual operating budget."

I knew the fare didn't pay for the entire operational expense of the system, but dang, that's a big gap!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hence the idea of train or car removal. You don't see a theme park (I know, bad example) running all it's trains when they're are not even enough people to fill one.

Anyway, I wonder what is included in that $11.2-million. I'm guessing power, maintenance, cleaning, and security. How about the stations? Are they all included. That would make sense. Each station has an elevator to maintain, except one. That is not to mention the apparent need to have escalators that never seem to ever shut off, other than for maintenance (BTW, the elevators should only be used for special access. When those who could take the escalators, ride the elevators instead, we are using extra power, and elevator ware, while those escalators keep on moving. Then you have those heat lamps in the winter. Nice, but excessive in some stations.

Such a waste of so much... but does that all sound right?

You know, some of those stations are barely used. Timed light, motion, or train sensors would be nice for various things in the stations. LOL, who should I send money saving suggestions too?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6209
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see the PM's new ad, right now:

"The Detroit People Mover: 1% Less Sucky!"

I won't rip on the little engine that could too much, though. The Detroit Transportation Corporation is simply working with what they've got, and doing surprisingly well despite the PM's massive limitations. If Hansen and the rest are proud of this thing and looking to constantly improve it, I'm not going to complain, too much.

BTW, at least for the First Quarter of 2008, the APTA (American Public Transportation Authority) gives the ridership 7,500 a day for weekdays, but I wonder if that is simply because the AutoShow is in the First Quarter? I'll keep track of the numbers.

http://www.apta.com/research/s tats/ridership/riderep/documen ts/08q1rep.pdf

That said, at the completion of its first year the PM had a daily ridership of 11,000. Still even, though, the similar length JTA Skyway in Jacksonville, Florida only has a daily ridership of 1,700.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 16, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7208
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, the DPM does not have all cars in use at all hours...

The DPM often runs single cars during off hours, and double cars (2 singles connected) during busier periods. They regulate the cars based on traffic usage. At slower periods of the day/night, you will have a longer wait because fewer cars will be in service.

And double cars are connected single cars. When you enter one of a double car pair, you cannot access the other car from the inside.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8586
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as we kvetch about all sorts of things her at DYes and life in general, one thing we can't complain about is the price of the People Mover. If memory serves me correctly- they've NEVER raised the fare since its inception.

Sure, we can argue whether it's even worth it at that price but for some odd reason, the fare has always remained at a reasonable 50˘. It's one of the few little luxuries I can still appreciate.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know that Gistok. Very good! I kind of shut off my assumption of common sense being common around here... but I know it still exists among many. I don't mean to sound condescending... just the way it falls.

:-)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do they remove and add cars?

Waymooreland
Username: Waymooreland

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where do they remove and add cars?"

At Times Square station, I would assume -- it's kind of like People Mover HQ. If you look closely, the track splits off there, allowing trains to go off the loop and into a building, presumably the DPM maintenance facility.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other idea (according to an article in yesterdays Freep states that changing directions will more importantly save wear on the tracks.

Gistok

Post Number: 7215
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever the merits of switching directions or replacing the track... reducing the loud squealing sound of the ride was not improved. In fact I believe it got worse.

I took a dance troup of 20 young Hungarians visiting Detroit on a tour of downtown yesterday, and the CONTINUOUS loud grinding sounds of the track (even at straight points along the route) made any attempt at discussions of various points along the route totally inaudible, except when stopped at each station.

If reduced noise was a consideration of the recent closure and maintenance, then they really f**ked that up totally... the grinding and squealing sounds along the entire route actually sounded louder than before!!

Gistok

Post Number: 7216
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other point about the People Mover Maintenance Facility at Times Square Station. When it first opened over 20 years ago, I got a tour of the facility.

It was built to be able to store up to about 100 PM cars, a planning consideration for future expansion. But alas, that never came to be, so the maintenance facility is way overbuilt for the needs of the current total of something like a dozen or so cars (not sure of the exact current total count of PM cars, since they're usually not all in service).

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Gistok. I rode the PM Saturday night. It is louder than ever. Impossible to even carry on a conversation with the person next to you, even on the straight sections. The new direction is really weird. I suppose it will take getting used to. It was kind of funny to watch the people getting on at Greektown that weren't aware of the change. They were looking down the tracks toward the Bricktown station for the PM. They were surprised when it came from the opposite direction. There are signs in the station "We're now counterclockwise".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.