Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Political sign left over from primary spotted yesterday... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were exiting the Lodge at Chicago Street and spotted a sign that said, "Vote the black slate" or "Vote the black ticket" (one of the two, I can't remember I was so miffed). What is up with that? Fancy that, judging a person by their color.

I was so angry when I saw that sign. I almost stopped the car and took the sign in order to see who was responsible for the printing and to take the offensive thing out of public view.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3369
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah well, I'm not surprised.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 11, 2008)

Riverside_ishmael
Username: Riverside_ishmael

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger, Don't you know how some mentalities would recommend a "checkpoint Charlie" sentry post just to enter the city? At least it hasn't come to that.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks I'll return to that spot (w/o the Hubby) and take the sign, after all. I'm that perturbed.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you own the sign? No? It's not yours to take.

Tayllik
Username: Tayllik

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The black slate has been around for years these people endorse candidates that THEY think will work best on issues that THEY think are most important to blacks. What you may not know is that the black slate is not always all black they do endorse white candidates I know for a fact they have in the past supported Carl Levin and I think Jeffery Fieger when he ran for governor.
My main point to you lodgedoger is to just not to let it get to you! its no big deal!

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taylik is correct. Ask Dennis Archer. The Black Slate gave him hell for 8 years.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure would love to see some of your reactions about a sign and group called 'The White Slate'...

Oh, but I know, it's totally different. Yeah. Keep tellin' yourselves that.

Detroiters sure do know how to keep racism alive! On both sides..

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(I'm black) Screw the "Black Slate"

95% of the people running for office in Detroit if not more are black anyway so what difference does it make. Just another element of our fucked up political system.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked downtown during the '00 presidential election, there was a poster on a signal box or something on the corner of E grand and woodword. It showed a black man sitting in a car that was pulled over by a white cop, who was holding a billy club,,,the caption was something like "Vote or be imprisoned" or the like..must be by the same group

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taking the sign would be wrong, but I'd like to take it and keep it. Kind of like Whoopi Goldberg's "Wall of Shame". She has a wall in her home decorated with items from the past that are anti-black.

Tayllik, really...they call it the black slate but it's for endorsement of black issues. That is very interesting.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya'll need to do some reading:
http://www.cus.wayne.edu/conte nt/publications/BlackChurches. pdf

quote:

By the mid 1960s, Albert Cleage,(NOTE: uncle of Sheriff Warren Evans) founder and pastor of the
Central Congregational Christian Church (1953), began preaching a series of
sermons centered on the idea that Jesus was a black revolutionary messiah
whose primary objective was to construct a black nation. Cleage in 1966
changed the name of the church from Central Congregational Christian Church
to the Shrine of the Black Madonna. With this too, came the unveiling of a
Black Christ painting in the church to drive home the message that “within
the child born of a Black Madonna is a new Messiah only waiting to discover
their inner divinity.” Church leaders and members feel an obligation to
“transform the spiritual emptiness, economic powerlessness and social
disorganization which has plagued the black community.” The Black Slate is
part of a number of efforts by the Shrines of the Black Madonna, also located
in Atlanta and Houston.

In this most recent election the Black Slate didn't do as well as they have in the past. The Black Slate in recent years has been the Cheeks-Kilpatrick family slate. Carl Ramsey, Ajene Evans and others were endorsed by The Slate, but came up short.

Malik Shabazz, drug felon turned store-front minister, and his group, the New Black Panthers, are the foot soldiers of the Black Slate.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campaign signs are supposed to be removed within a certain time frame after the election. After that, they are trash. In some places, they give you 48 hours. I don't know Detroit's rule, but Metro Detroit Campaign for Liberty held a clean up event August 6, 7 and 8, so I think you are fine picking up the sign if it is on public property. It's been a full week.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13733
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is on public property, it is fair game...as far as I know.

They put it up illegally, take the damn racist thing down...with a smile.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep.

People are beginning to (finally) realize that voting as a block leads to nothing but rotten, entitled and generally lousy city management. And not a second too soon! The best government can be had by voting for EACH person, regardless of party, race, gender, sexual-persuasion or any other such sub-group pidgeon-holing.

Voters, be not lazy and do thy research.

I'm a woman, and I'll never vote for a female JUST BECAUSE she's female. How irresponsible!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll let you be on my slate
If I can be on your slate.....

Jeez, wouldn't it be nice if there was a Human Party?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5343
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a cheap trick,designed to appeal to the lowest intelligence...kinda like putting the national colors on a campaign sign or using a convicted felon to insinuate that your opponent will let big bad black men run amoock (Remember Willie Horton)?

Get over it.

But if you want to remove old campaign signs from public property, go for it. Could you also take down some of those homemade business adverts while you are at it?

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Tayllik
Username: Tayllik

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
I sure would love to see some of your reactions about a sign and group called 'The White Slate'...

Yes there is a' White Slate' its called the Republican Party
LOL!

Seriously though I don't thing Black Slate has or ever really had much influence and the fact they are still around is something white people should not make a such big deal of. just like Barnesfoto said "get over it"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.