Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ever seen Discover Detroit tv show? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sayitaintso
Username: Sayitaintso

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever seen Discover Detroit weekly tv show? It's on at 5:30pm Monday's. I've fortunately/unfortunately caught one or two shows in the past few months. The host is terrible. She talks like she's talking to a six year or surfer. Way too many 'Wow that's awesome' comments.

It's too bad because it could be a really effective marketing tool for the metro area. This show needs to have multiple intelligent hosts from a mix of backgrounds conducting interviews, restaurant reviews, music, clubs, shows, etc. Maybe MetroMix Detroit will create a nightly tv show like MetroMix Chicago has or go the checkplease tv concept way. If you aren't familar with checkplease they invite three ordinary people to discuss there favorite restaurant then all three people go to each other guests pick and they review it.

With everything going on in Detroit and metro area, it'd be very eye opening to a lot of people to see what's happening downtown besides ball games and vice versa. What does anyone else think?

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What station? Cable, I am out of luck.

Ready to offer service, for pay, as host and guide.

Youdummy
Username: Youdummy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's shown on WTVS

http://www.discoverdetroittv.c om

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Maybe a little hair conditioner would help ?

I like how she comments everything with a "ooOOoh!" in the spirit of fake excitement.

Text description

I believe thats her husband, and he produces the show.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum "youdummy" ;)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7230
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That and that get up get out show are both m-bare-ass-ments.

that woman and the guy on get up get out are so annoying - and they are the ones who run the development programs. half the reason I don't give to them. the other half is the crap infomercials for various snake-oil types and lame singers of no distinction who make lawrence welk seem edgy that they shove down our throats for 1/4 of the year

Youdummy
Username: Youdummy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765, you were looking at her hair? And thanks!

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's plain to see her professional qualifications.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RB, you're right. That show is a joke and the hosts lack any type of charm or intellect. The development department is a joke with that woman in charge. She is more interested in being on television then she is using effective fund-raising channels to move that station forward.

The show has a promising concept, but with those two at the helm, it's impossible to take seriously. I mean, they're just so empty in their presentation. Detroit Public Television continues to waste resources and instead relies on going back to the same well of donors time and again.

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Veronica and her husband do a pretty good job with "Discover Detroit." She is the perky on-camera presence, and he is the guy who films and edits everything. (He's the one wearing the orange shirt in the second photo.) They seem to do three segments per episode, so they probably have done segments on most of the major and not-so-major attractions and events in Detroit.

And the other show ("Get Up, Get Out") is definitely geared toward little kids and their parents. I think that Kelly and what's-his-name do alright as the hosts of that show, and I think they do alright as the hosts of fundraisers for Detroit Public TV.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Veronica Vance is annoying and the show is kind of cheesy, but I still watch to check out what they're covering.

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show has been on for over 5 years. Veronica and her husband do an incredible job. Their office/studio used to be in the Book Building. Five years ago they did an episode on Bookies. They are involved with high schools and other students doing internships. Wonderful people. Entertaining show - and it's not a new show - been going for at least 5 years that I know of. The shows are most likely available at the local hotels for the tourists. If you have suggestions for improvements - I'm sure you can send an e-mail to "Discover Detroit" I enjoy the show and thank them for doing it. Heck, when I was in grade school I had to sit through George Perriot (sp) every day for homework.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Discover Detroit programmed on my DVR for awhile before the DVR died. Watched the show to find new stuff to do around town. It was kind of cheesy, but what do you expect from low budget local tv? Veronica would occasionally where something that was more flattering to the eye (i.e. picture above), which would make viewing a little more enjoyable.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 630
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Discover Detroit" is a very nice show. It gets people exposed to things they may never know about. They are doing the same thing Model D is doing but are using a different medium and style. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can also view episodes online
http://www.dptv.org/ondemand/d d/ddvod.shtml

Mauser765

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mauser765, you were looking at her hair?"

Um, thats a little too beastly for my tastes, but go for it !

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watch the show to keep abreast on current events.

She really puts the "D" in Detroit. Technically, double D's: Discover Detroit

Edited to prevent you from having to read any more bad puns.

(Message edited by jazzstage on August 19, 2008)

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. Very nice^

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.