Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Memorial Park Riot in Royal Oak in the '60's? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4939
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met a person at a party this weekend and he was telling me, in part, about a riot in Royal Oak that erupted over an issue of [anti] development that involvled Memorial Park in Royal Oak. The conversation got disrupted and the story never concluded. Anyone have any followup?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a turf battle between the stoners and the police. Not too different from a similar scenario at Baldwin Park on the eastside. "They got the guns, we got the numbers" I guess they were channeling the Doors those nights

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there Lowell ...The night the riot started to much sales going on with the hippies, turned into a 5 night riot all the way to 14 mile rd. rock throwing burning of dumpsters Lots of Urban Kids standing up to the Man

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7604
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Memorial Park Riot in R.O. was quite worse than the 67' riot in Detroit.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, Give me a freekin' break. There's no comparison between the two.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.