Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Defunct Dearborn Yacht Club « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was on the Rouge River, on the back side of an island, way up the river from the Detroit river. Anyone know anything about this place. Some old aerials show boats abandoned at thier slips....andy

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 950
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you refering to Fordson Island? Is that why that little island accessible from the city of Detroit is part of Dearborn?

(Message edited by fareastsider on August 10, 2008)

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like an excuse you use when you are really going out drinking elsewhere. "Ummm...yeah honey, I'm going to the yacht club for a committee meeting." Fordson island is dreary little piece of real estate. There are plenty of derelict boats half-sunk around it though.

Foosie
Username: Foosie

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like an excuse you use when you are really going out drinking elsewhere. "Ummm...yeah honey, I'm going to the yacht club for a committee meeting."

Sounds like the Polish Yacht Club aka The Ivanhoe Cafe Frederick at Jos Campau.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foosie- Yup. PYC, where no one has to have a boat to be a member!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 533
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a bunch of cottages on the island. They gradually dissapeared until only a few were left.The city condemned those under the guise of "fighting blight" but IMO leaving it a wasteland is worse than a few decrepit,ivately-owned houses.At least a few people got to enjoy such a unique piece of land.
At least Detroit still has Klenk Island,for those who can afford it

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fordson Island has been referred to as the Dearborn Yacht Club. We also knew it as Treasure Island as kids or just 'the boat club'.It has slowly overgrown itself in the last few years. There used to be houses on and around it. The canal around the island was deep enough for boats passage and many were moored there. It's now mostly dried up. It was a working man's and 'tuggers' boat club and hangout. 1KD

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who owns the island know?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it's either an oil company or Levy Company. There used to be a fueling station of some type on the island. Levy is next door, between the island and Dix Avenue and has facilities in the area. 1KD

Ahartz

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you all...thats the place I am talking about. the old canal there needs to be kayaked and checked out. there just may be treasure there!.1Kielson drive...isnt that the grayhaven road??? ...andy

Guideboat
Username: Guideboat

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have canoed around Fordson Island (in fact, all the Rouge from Fairlane Mansion to the river)and it is kind of interesting. The half sunken boats are creepy looking. The only treasure might be some old Chris Craft parts. Somewhere I have photos of that canoe trip. I'll try and load them.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahartz, yes.

Ahartz

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kielson...do you live there now....in one of the three old homes still left on the island. I used to come down and jump and party at the old bridge when in high school at GP south. Circa 1984..cool cool spot down there. .I have been working with Jerome morgan on the development on the lenox side...andy

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like an abandoned pleasure craft doc on one side, and a Tug boat/Barge parking lot on the other.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF 8&ll=42.293723,-83.147433&spn= 0.002996,0.008991&t=h&z=18

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahartz, no I don't live there now. I have friends in the immediate area and nearby. I go around there occasionally. You may have more clear and recent memories of the bridge than do I, though I still went out to the estate regularly after the house burned. 1KD

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor, your's is an accurate description. The water level from google earth looks acceptable but in reality hasn't been for quite a few years. The water might actually be high enough now for small runabouts and fishing boats. In the past my friends had much larger craft docked there. The two barges in the upper picture are at what was the fueling terminal. They may be tanker or bulk barges belonging to the Gaelic Towing Company which are the tugs you see in the satellite shots. Gaelic operates the Diamond Jacks and the tour boats return here in the winter to be with the rest of the fleet. 1KD

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interesting thing about Fordson island is that it is man made. Henry Ford bypassed this section of the Rouge River's natural path to facilitate freighter traffic to the Rouge Complex.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leob, the interesting thing about Zug Island is that it is man made. Henry Ford bypassed a whole section of the Rouge River to create what was known for years as the 'short cut channel'. It's now simply known as the Rouge. The area cut out was a shallow swamp, wetlands and pools. My father spoke of swimming there as a kid. That's why Zug is River Rouge, not Detroit. It was once part of River Rouge's mainland. 1KD

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.