Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Documentary on the history of Detroit TV « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coming soon to a TV screen near you.
http://detroitkidshow.com/A_Ce lebration_of_Detroit_TV.htm

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 337
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks good, Ed. You're the man to do it.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Richard. I'm producing the project with Tim Kiska, Michael Collins and Bill Kubota. We've got some amazing footage and hope to dig up more.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW what a neat show. When I was a little girl My dance class was on Auntie Dee show, I had forgot the opening song. Looking forward to see the pbs special.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totaly lookin forward to this. A lot of the shows were before my time, cant wait to hear about them. Ill be passing it along to my folks up north also.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking forward to this very much.

If I may add a request, as a kid of the 1970s, this era tends to get completely overlooked or given a cursory acknowledgement.

While all the black-&-white footage is awesome (and anticipated), an increase of stuff from the 1970s would be most appreciated.

I know you only have 90 minutes to fit in 30 years of footage - I would love to help.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey,
What 70s clips would you like to see?

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did Bill Bonds do to piss off Orrin Hatch?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tune in and find out.

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa?
That looks fucking incredible. Swingin' Time and Teen Town are mentioned, and not to mention Bill Kennedy.

I want to see this now.

Question?

Any plans to release this on DVD after it airs??

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mickeymac,
There will be a DVD with extras.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed..PLEASE let me know when, where, and how that DVD will be available. I was all of 13 when WWJ came on the air, with a bunch of hoop-la at the old convention hall on Woodward. Living in New England, I won't be able to see the program, but I sure would like to have that DVD.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, great compilation. Hats off 2U.
I have home footage of a part of the post WWII parade in detroit, I can send you if you want, from atop a high bldg of larned.
PS: I know it's off the topic but maybe add in some D sports champions celebrations,

(Message edited by lefty2 on August 10, 2008)

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That trailer looks great! Is the DVD going to have closed captioning for us hearing-impaired?? Pretty pwease?

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did yall interview Robin Seymour for this??

Also let us know when the DVD comes out. I'll be picking this up for sure.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too! Any footage of early newscasters, such as Ken Cline of WJBK?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin Seymour will definitely be interviewed for the project. I'm looking into closed captioning for the DVD. We are still unearthing footage, some of which hasn't seen the light of day for 50 years or more. We'll be starting a blog soon where you can view rare Detroit TV clips and share Detroit television memories.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Ed_golick, I attended De La Salle High School with Dr. Kiska. He will know who I am, if you mention I was the kid who used to smoke cigarettes with him in the lobby of the long gone Woods Drive-in before class.

I've discussed his tome "From Soupy to Nuts" with him and he was in a fog about David the Collosus. Dave was a gladiator movie host who used to show sword and sandal epics from the likes of Roma Studios which featured guys in loin cloths and Italian women with big heaving cleavage along with poor dubbing.

Any chance you'll mention David the Collosus in your DVD opus?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludgedaddy,
I remember David the Colossus and his wet mop fights on CKLW-TV. It's possible that we will cover David, especially if we can dig up some vintage footage.
I did profile CKLW's Hercules on my website.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ hercules.htm

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick, sword and sandal "epics" were quite popular with the greasers of Detroit in the early 1960's and Italy cranked 'em out by the cement truck full. I remember, as a young lad, going to the local playground and being confronted by pompadoured young toughs and asked the question "Roman or Judean?" Either way you answered, you got the snot kicked out of you.There was also a local guy who introduced himself as "Bob Robeleski, but you can call me,"The Robe'".

Being familiar with Greek mythology as a young lad, I can recall this episode from one of those Hercules shows on channel 9. The guy who showed the Hercules cartoons (I forget his name)was giving his young viewers a lesson on the Olympian Pantheon. In an early version of political correctness, he emphasized the fact that ancient Greek gods were not like our God.....but, when showing a photo of the goddess Venus. I saw my first example of TV censorship.

Using one of those plastic tape letter embossers, the word "Venus" was strategically placed over the hooters of the topless and armless Venus de Milo.

Olympi..a...a...a..a

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I went to St. Clement Grade School with Dr. Kiska!

During seventh grade, he had Mr. Stankewitz and I had Miss LaBarge.

Here is Tim's seventh grade mug shot:

Tim Kiska

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, gee, he was a REAL little guy back then.
Tim is quite the knowledgeable fellow, The Detroit area is blessed to have him.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mighty Hercules

Hercules, hero of song and story.
Hercules, winner of ancient glory.
Fighting for the right,
Fighting with his might,
With the strength of ten, ordinary men.

Hercules, people are safe when near him.
Hercules, only the evil fear him.
Softness in his eyes,
Iron in his thighs,
Virtue in his heart,
Fire in every part,
Of the Mighty Hercules.

"Softness in his eyes,
Iron in his thighs?"

Dude.

Anyway, that sounds awesome, Ed.
Bravo.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iron in his thighs? Did the fair Helena write that Line? Just a little message from Newton, Newton,Herc.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ed, you should find an old RCA Image Orthicon camera (you know, shiny highlights turn black), and shoot some modern interviews through it to tape or hard disk.
That would look very cool.
You could always shoot a real camera next to it to be covered.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg,
Cruel and unusual punishment. I love it! But I'm wondering what you meant by saying "I had Miss LaBarge."

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm - did I type that? I do seem to remember that I always had a hard difficult time staying focused while she was instructing us.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.