Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Anyone here driving/attending the Dream Cruise? « Previous Next »
Archive through August 11, 2008Pffft30 08-11-08  6:34 pm
Archive through August 13, 2008Zrx_doug30 08-13-08  11:43 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 5:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh C'mon, you know the guys I'm talking about. They have a factory stock late model Corvette and matching ensamble. Corvette hat, satin jacket, shirt, lawnchair, umbrella, etc.

They sit there and just wait for people to walk up and tell them how cool their car is. I was next to one of these guys at a local show last month. He was pissed that I parked my jalopy next to his pristine C5. He proceeded to stand there arms folded, totally put off that everyone was ignoring his car and crowding around mine.

Guys like that just don't get it. They think there's nothing on Earth cooler than a vette and everyone aspires to someday own one. It just baffles them that they spend so much money on their car and some little, old primered hot rod with steel wheels garners more attention than their Corvette. But I'm not ripping on them too bad, my parents just bought a C5 coupe and it's a beautiful car and a blast to drive.

Now don't even get me started on the Harley guys when I pull into bike night on my old Triumph bobber :-)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess what? Yep.There was a kid out there in a primered Citation last night!

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone say Citroen?

1948 Citroen Traction Avant

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The kids with pick up trucks and a lazy boy chair in the bed need to go away. I have no grudge against the mini vans loaded with senior citizens & the doors open but why do they have to go down the road in the cruise lanes? I wish there was a civil way to convince them to move over. And don't get me started about the morons who send their kids over to the side of the road and have them yell "Light 'em up".

BTW, I agree about how a low buck car can and does "steal" props from the big buck "super car".

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13771
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paintball guns, I'm sayin'!

Just don't aim for the face...

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did we see you last night, Hpgrmln, parked on the side north of 13 was it? Levi blue with white stripe? Lookin' good.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4423
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I had such a wonderful time tonight trying to conduct some business on Woodward. No, Mr. Black 1970's Duster, I DO NOT WANT TO RACE.

Heh. You do have a pretty fast looking car though. :-)

I haven't been to the DC in years but one of the cars I remember was a 70s land yacht of some kind covered with name plates of other cars.
Is that guy/gal still out there? I liked all the goofy off beat stuff more than the hot rods.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5234
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knows. All I see is clouds of exhaust, all I hear is engines and helicopters. I'm leaving town tomorrow night, not a minute too fucking soon.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you'll be out of town, can I park in your driveway? I promise to pick up all my beer cans.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5237
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO. STAY HOME.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz- I was in front of the Pancake house near Bennaville. It is indeed blue with a rally stripe.
Were you driving by or walking?

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, does the phrase "lawn job" help you change your mind?

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 505
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now don't even get me started on the Harley guys when I pull into bike night on my old Triumph bobber."

Okay, but don't YOU get started on me when I pull in on my 160 rwhp Kawasaki ZRX..(work all done by me, BTW.)
Personally, I don't "get" cruisers, bobbers, choppers, or anything else on two wheels running prehistoric technology unless it's on a vintage bike..why anyone would waste cash on something that the most lowly stock model UJM can outperform in all ways is simply beyond me..so there, nyah!
:-)

But back to the etiquette of cruising..
It's not the car (or the bike), it's not the work that's gone into any given vehicle (though I truly do LOVE a nicely built anything), or whether said work was done with the owner's own greasy hands or "just" his wallet (though I do tend to play better with fellow gearheads than white-collar wannabes), it's not even the knowledge or attitude of the participants..it's about the participants themselves. Everyone shows up for the same reason.
Can't we all just get along?
:-)

Bcscott

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a pic of the scooter, it's a 1973 Tiger 750 five speed. It's basically the same thing as the hot rod. Something different that seems to really draw attention. I don't know how many times people have tried having a conversation with me about the bike while they're driving along side! I pull past three hundred look-a-like Harleys and fifty or so crotch rockets at bike night and I'm the only one there on an old Brit bike.

A lot of the Harley guys are cool and they tell me they learned on a Triumph back in the 70's. However a lot of them are just like the vette guy except they just spent $25,000 on a full dresser and another $4000 on new clothes for him and the old lady. I show up with a $5,000 bike with kick start, drum brakes, no fender or windshield and people walk right past the Harleys with fifty pounds of chrome to look at my old Triumph dripping oil out of the primary cover. Those guys get mad and talk shit as if the ability to go in debt for a toy somehow makes them cool.

Cars and bikes are about a lot more than just performance. I love it when old timers come up to me and tell me about the Model A they had in the 50's or the Brit bike freaks that chase me down just to shake my hand. Is a new vette faster than my car? Maybe. Is a new Harley worth more than my Triumph? You bet. Funny thing is, I spent half the money, I have twice the fun, and the satisfaction guys who never turn a wrench can't comprehend. Oh yeah, and we can definitely get along :-)

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who knows. All I see is clouds of exhaust, all I hear is engines and helicopters."
]
]Can we put magnets on those copters and have them swoop down and pick up the SUVs and new Hondas in the cruiser lanes?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5238
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And everybody else?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was riding NOT in the cruise lanes, or I would have said something. What a crowd last night! Next time, we'll be walking.

I agree with Doug, it's a lot of fun. Fighting about who is out there is a big ol' wet blanket.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that were out Thursday night, what time did the police shut things down? Expecting same time Friday?

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be there next year. I had plans to go this year, but with the new supercharger adding lots of boost, had to convert to E85 for the 105 octane. This year E85 is still not available in enough places for me to make the trip from Tennessee. If it is still not widely available next year, I will just trailer it.

I have not made it for several years, so looking forward to it. Be nice to kick around the old hood of Redford also.

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

10pm

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8205
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember, ALL of Ford's displays, including their live stage and Mustang Alley, has been moved to Ferndale from Birmingham this year. :-)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to walk the stroller up to 9/Woodward today around 5. My son will dig the siren ceremony and I want to see the Reefermen

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2997
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're also headed to Ferndale later this afternoon for the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and the Lights and Sirens Cruise. Then we're going to Berkley for the Car Parade and musical aftershow. Tomorrow we'll cruise Woodward early in the morning and then hit the pavement for the rest of the day. Can the weather be anymore perfect?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you see a big black 1951 Packard thats me!

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be wearing my "Vette Shirt" this weekend.... It reads: "NICE VETTE!, (sorry about your tiny penis)"
The vette maniacs freak out but most everyone else gets a big laugh out of it.

Bcscott

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I just got back at 10:45 pm. I had a great time, everyone was awesome even the vette guys :-) You guys were right about it being a madhouse. I had to stop three times to let the car cool off, it was basically a parking lot around Duggans/Shell station. It was really fun though, I'll probably be back next year. I got to hit the hay, Back to the Bricks in the morning. Have fun tomorrow.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a day enjoying the cruise in Royal Oak, Ferndale, and Berkley!! Nice to meet up with Blueidone and hubby at the Berkley Car Parade.

Am so looking forward to Saturday, starting early with the GM Century Parade up Woodward from the RenCen to Birmingham. Will cruise the whole Dream Cruise route from the State Fairgrounds up to the Loop and back. Then hitting the pavement for the rest of the day. The weather is supposed to be perfect again! Everybody enjoy!!

(Message edited by Kathleen on August 16, 2008)

Tk65
Username: Tk65

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to be a complete dumbass to sit in that 7 mile long traffic jam. Why people think the cruise only occurs at 13 mile road is beyond me. There wasnt a sole driving around in Ferndale.

Driving .25 miles an hour isnt cruising.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 542
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason it moves so slowly is that everyone wants to be seen in the cruise lane, and just because they have neon underbody or a hemi, they cut in front of legitimate cruisers and slow traffic down. I still dont get why a late-model Pickup of any kind with big wheels and raised suspension is cool enough to block the view of an old car AND hold up traffic. The worst traffic jams are later in the day when fewer classics are on the road and its a bunch of kids blasting awful music and doing burnouts in cars no more than 10 years old. Enforce the "classic cruiser" lanes better and traffic will likely improve.They have enough cops out there.They need to tell the kid in the 2000 Dodge ram with no modifications that no one came all the way out to watch him show off and to get into an inside lane. THEN theyll get the message.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a day! We had a great time, out on the road by 8am, catching breakfast at Sam's Ferndale Grill and watching the GM Century Parade from there before cruising all the way north around the Loop and back home by 11. Then we walked from Northwood up to Birmingham and back, taking our time...5 1/2 hours! After a brief respite, did another short loop between Normandy and 13 Mile with our son and his girlfriend. And following a break for dinner, went back out for a final time to watch the sun go down on Woodward Avenue and the police shut down the Cruise. All in all, a very enjoyable day (despite what my muscles say today!).

Luckycar: We stopped by but you were not available. Sorry we missed you.

Pgn421: Didn't get a chance to get into the baseball field or parking lot behind the fire station. Hope you had a fun day

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were out from about 1 in the afternoon til 8:30 with some friends from Boston who came in just for the Cruise. It was too late to cruise by the time we got there, big ol' parking lot, so we walked all around Birmingham, then headed down to the epicenter and walked all around there, then headed down to Ferndale and walked all around there. It was great, but I would rather have spent more time watching the cruisers on Woodward than mooching around all the exhibits. I need a clone! I didn't see that Vette shirt, Hpgrmln, or BC. My favorite car was a golden pearl 55 custom T-Bird in the park at 13 and Woodward.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to have missed you Kathleen.I was taking friends and family out for a run up to Pontiac several times thruout the day.Hope you enjoyed all the great Oldsmobiles.What a perfect day,weather and people!

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to circumstances, I spent most of my time at the north end. I did a lap through Ferndale and Royal Oak earlier in the day, but after that I was around Pontiac and Bloomfield. Until you got to the Pontiac "loop", traffic was MUCH better up there than anywhere south of 16 mile. I parked on the grass for a while at the enterance to the Manresa retreat, at Quarton, and saved gas while watching all the cars. That was a great spot.Then, later, I got stuck in traffic south of 15 mile and covered about a mile of ground in an hour. The Gremlin lived up to its name and steam poured out of the hood, so I finished the day in the alley behind Wesch cleaners.With a little bit of water, though, I got her home (NOT via Woodward). I was in contact with a guy who brought his Gremlin up from southern Ohio and his water pump went bad. Im really thinking about renting a space next year with a few other people.AND, not driving after a certain time, when traffic is at a standstill and all the cars are from the 90s or later.The sad part is, the highest spectator turnout is at the time the least amount of classics are on the road.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep telling everyone who does the cruise with their classic to stay between Quarton and Pontiac.Last night going to Pontiac got jammed-up around St.Joe Hospital,we headed home.Around 7 pm,alot of pickups with a-holes riding in the bed were out.I saw some people who looked like they were just cluless,and must of thought traffic was just heavy!
Another year of Dream Cruise and the two lanes for "classics" goes out the window.Maybe next year.It was still a lot fun.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.