Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Eastside Children's Softball leagues « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Parks and Rec. leagues, to the Church Leagues (St Brendan): how fun was that...

Playing at Carleton on the gravel or the playgrounds of the east-side these leagues gave us many memories...riding our bikes to the games ...as a team crossing into parks all over the place...meeting and playing against kids that would later go to school with us...no fancy uniforms, at times only tee shirts that were made up at home...severe sunburns, hand me down mitts,

names like the sasser stoners...playing Arthur Knights...

at St. Brendan's coached by someones dad...but then at the park level by some one's older brother...and as we got a little older by someone who could get a fake id and get some beer...

played hard ....well almost hard...but had such a great time...In today's ultra-organized leagues, and with all the parental pressures to achieve; it has sure come along and at times lost some of the fun..

coaching my kids when they were younger, it was so much different... I found that in all the sports I coached in the youth arena, baseball was always the most difficult...and it was generally from the parents...not the kids...

maybe if they had to ride their bikes to practice and play pitcher's mount out for first it wouldn't be that way...

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran: Those were the days. Riding to your friends house and calling their name to get them to come out to go play baseball all day. We played at St. Juliana's, Goodale, Chandler Park, or where could set up a diamond for the day. I do remember playing St. Brendens at Balduck for games in the CYO leauge. Thanks for the memories

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an "eastside memories" thread. As such, it belongs in the "eastside memories" megathread. That way, those who are interested know where to look, and the other 99% of us know where not to look.

Carry on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.