Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Four-Year University in Macomb County? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think there should be a four-year masters' or doctoral-granting university in Macomb County? Should it be another satellite campus of University of Michigan similar to Dearborn or Flint? Should it be a regional "Macomb University" like Oakland and Wayne State? Or should it be something different altogether? I can only think of MCC and Davenport in the county. It's one of the fastest growing counties in Michigan.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever been to Macomb County? You can get a degree from WSU, Oakland, Saginaw Valley, Central or half a dozen schools at University Center there on Hall Road. No need to waste money and build more infrastructure.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or Baker College, they just added Doctorates to their offerings, along with Associates, Bachelors and Masters.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5243
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

No need for another public school. If any wants to start a private school there, then more power to them, but this is a well-serviced state already, with schools of all sorts of shapes and sizes-- I doubt they'd find much success.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5487
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think the best route for my county (Macomb) is to improve trade schools and trade degrees at MCC. They need to offer more high-end manufacturing process certificates that aren't offered anywhere else in the region. They do that now, but need to extend that. MCC should also focus on nursing programs even more than they already are. That said…MCC isn't all that bad of a school. I know a number of MSU and UM grads who took high-level summer courses there.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5245
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I thought MCC was the best Comm. College around, more than just "not bad."

I just think it would be difficult for a newly-formed university of any type in Macomb County to build a reputation fast enough to compete against all sorts of big names that people who want a four-year degree are eager to go to. And the people that want to commute will choose Oakland or Wayne State or UD etc., which both have very reasonable tuition for the degrees you get (not UD so much but they do dole out scholarships). You'd think they could only get the people who are strongly averse to a long commute, or who don't want to go to Detroit.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is a waste of resources to open a new public university in Macomb county. There is already too much budget pressure in the state for higher education. A private university, perhaps. But even so, there are so many other colleges and universities that have satellite campuses in Macomb county I have a hard time seeing how a new entrant would be able to gain a foothold.

On the flip side, though, with the economy so bad, more people go to school to become more competitive in the job market.

I would be curious to see Macomb county's population trends - is there a net inflow or outflow of people that might "possibly" make a new university worthwhile.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7596
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State, Oakland U, U of M and U of M Dearborn, Davenport and EMU is enough for a while.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6195
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank G,

According to Census estimates, at least since 2006, there has been a net out-migration from the county, though, it continues to grow from births and international immigration:

http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/ popc/pc26099.htm

The county was actually seeing a significant in-migration prior to 2006. In fact, it was the only one of the three inner-Detroit counties to see any kind of in-migration. Oakland and Wayne have been seeing out-migration for many years/decades, now.

(Message edited by lmichigan on August 09, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.