Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Michigan Works/No Worker Left Behind Experience? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scarlet_crush
Username: Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here have any experience with Michigan Works, or No Worker Left Behind? They have an office here in Detroit, on Milwaukee. I have been studying their website and I would be interested in educational opportunities in the healthcare field.

Any firsthand information about your experience with the organization would be appreciated. I feel that with our struggling economy, this organization must be stretched pretty thin. Has anybody had any luck obtaining funding for education or training in high demand careers? Any words of advice from your experience working with the organization? Was it worth your time and effort? Any information very much appreciated.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was doing some research on their program for a paper I had to write recently, and I saw on their website that they were overwhelmed with requests and they had to resort to a waitlist. With all of the recent layoffs, its no wonder. It does seem like a GREAT program, you have to wonder why it's not more advertised.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just began school last week with a grant from NWLB. Michigan Works is like any underfunded service agency though, from my experience. Case workers with over 100 clients, stressed out, not very pro-active. I was able go get my situation rolling from sheer diligence. Lots of phone calls, jumping through every hoop, however absurd or redundant it seems. I would suggest if you are interested you should enroll soon, as I had to wait nearly 6 months because they ran out of money in February. Also, try to pick an office that isn't as busy. I went to the office in Mt. Clemens. The one in Roseville is always slammed, as is the one in Detroit.
Overall, I can't complain about free training, no matter how long it took.
If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Scarlet_crush
Username: Scarlet_crush

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both for your responses.

Krawlspace, what is your field? I am interested in health care. I have been researching programs at local community colleges and many of the medical programs have long waiting lists, as well.

I don't usually care for bureaucracy and red tape. Historically, I haven't been much of a hoop jumper. If however, there are are free, worthwhile educational opportunities on the other side, I'll do back flips through through those hoops, you know, and I'll tap dance maybe.

Thanks for the info regarding slammed offices. I was wondering about that, as well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.