Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Stream on Davison Ave at Campau.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there anyone out there that has memory of a stream that ran east and west on Davison Ave. E. at Jos Campau? I believe it goes back to the mid-1920's and before. Any memories, stories, vignettes, maps, surveys of this waterway would be appreciated.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my Dad telling me about it, but that is all I know

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the "1904 Wayne County Atlas", it appears that the northern branch of a watercourse labeled "Holbrook Ave. Ditch" crossed Jos Campau at Carpenter, just south of Davison.

1904 map with northern and southern branched in color

The northern and southern branches of this ditch merged near Forest Lawn Cemetery and then flowed northeastward where it was joined by the "Greenfield and Hamtramck Ditch" at Van Dyke Ave. The combined flows from these ditches emptied into Conners Creek at a point south of Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Here is a high resolution PDF image of the 1904 Hamtramck Twp. map.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 243
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometime in the very early 50's there were several bridges in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. The area was later leveled and the old bridge rails removed. I know there was a Conner Creek in the area.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An 1860's map hangs in Hamtramck City Hall. Refers to it as the Carpenter Ditch. Also notable on the City Hall map is the island at the southern end of Hamtramck. Most of know it as Belle Isle. The island is in four parcels, two of which are owned by the Campau family. The other two escape me. Anyone??

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.