Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Building next to the Ambassador Bridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While riding by the bridge, my dad told me there used to be a building right at the base of the bridge that sold flags. Does anyone have any pictures of this place? I told him I found it hard to believe they would let them build that close to it.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 618
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like the building was there before the bridge:
http://www.jwwestcott.com/

They sell flags, nautical charts, etc. and deliver mail to the lake freighters that pass by on their way up North/out South.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the Westcott shop and dock abut 2-3 blocks from the bridge right on the river?

Where do you mean, base of the bridge, Detroitrockcity? My mother worked practically under the bridge at American Greetings in the 50s. It was a 4-5 story building on Fort Street. Jefferson also runs under the bridge and there are and were buildings close under there, too.

Detroitrockcity
Username: Detroitrockcity

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

next to concrete supports at Fort Street/21st. The area is currently fenced in.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be the American Greetings place, I believe.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember the old Wolverine Trade School that was on the west side of Fort close or under the bridge. A good friend went there about 1970. He said about the only thing he learned was you can fix anything if you can find large enough hammer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.