Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Inkster Schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8014
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep hearing a lot about Inkster Schools. They have 100% of students going to college or some such? They have three semesters and uniforms? Every student with over a 3.0 is guaranteed a free college tuition? What is going on there, and if it is true, why is it not happening everywhere else?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11989
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why doesn't it happen everywhere? Money.

One thing I wondered about Inkster schools is why are the taxes so high? As an example (on a honestead) if you live in Inkster your tax mill rate could vary between 50.36 (Taylor schools) and 65.86 (Inkster schools).

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8020
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the taxes are high, but it would seem in this instance the money is being managed properly, and yielding the desired results.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11990
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that is the case, I agree.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its seems like there are some forward thinking people involved with the Inkster public schools.
I remember when they kicked the Edison group out saying they could run the schools better than that for profit company. I don't know how the improved curriculums and marketing has impacted test scores however.

The district is an open one and they are attracting students from Detroit and other areas.

I was impressed that the adminstration went out and got one of the finest hs football coaches in the state and he has completely turned the football program around 180 degrees.

During the state championship game many of the inkster community people came out just to support
the program, it seems like many didn't even have kids in the school.

It seems at least they are striving for excellence within the school district.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6193
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a link to the test scores or any other helpful information?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7597
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Inkster Public Schools are doing better then Detroit Public Schools. What kind a extra-cirricular activities do the school district have that DPS doesn't?

(Message edited by danny on August 09, 2008)

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually just saw an ad on tv today for the school system- it talked about 98% of graduates going to college, the free tuition to college for students (no mention of a required GPA), and programs where students can study abroad in Europe. It also spoke of community commitment, and what a swell place Inkster is.

I had never heard of any of this before- there must be a push going on to recruit people into the district or something.

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instker, the hometown of the Marvelettes. What's that city like now??

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inkster is a depressed community and has been for some time. This is what makes the positive aspect of the schools so interesting. This tells me you can turn a district around if you have the will power to do so. Again, I don't know how much of this is advertising hype but there is some improvement which means some things are getting done in Inkster.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 395
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.schoolmatters.com

This link will get you some information about the schools. I believe there is another one thru the state that will show the test scores and how the school compares to others schools.

Foxyscholar
Username: Foxyscholar

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work with a girls' mentorship program in Inkster (plus my daddy's people are from there/still there so I know the area well). The (new) superintendent has really done a lot to advance the district. Size matters.... Inkster isn't nearly as big as DPS, even with Inkster being a district of choice (a number of students in Inkster schools come from other cities, including Detroit). As a graduate student in an education program, what I have heard from fellow classmates from Detroit is that the district (DPS) needs to be reconfigured into smaller districts.... managability can be improved when dealt with in smaller chunks.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not if you can't get enough people to fill those positions with the current conditions and pay.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love it if DPS broke down into smaller districts. They did away with the area offices (not that they did much good) a few years ago. DPS desperately needs to be broken down into smaller parts of a whole. Right now, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.