Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » What's for breakfast? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I have decided to spend our four year wedding anniversary in Detroit, the city we were born and raised in. We're going to the Motown Museum (never been there, can you believe that?), Charles Wright Museum, the Diamond Jack river tour and maybe the DIA. We want to start out the day with breakfast. What's a good place downtown for breakfast? We sometimes go down for dinner but never breakfast before.

Thanks!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Breakfast House and Grill on woodward just north of campus martius

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second the Detroit Breakfast House. A little pricy, but very classy and I've always liked it.

Eastern market has a couple good breakfast joints which aren't quite as classy as the Breakfast House, but excellent food and atmosphere.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 767
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a new breakfast place on Woodward ,across from Campus Martius, i cant remember the name.people rave about it

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Butchers at the Eastern Market is good.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 999
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on the day of the week. If you're down on the weekend, Atlas (nearly across from the Bonstelle on Woodward) has a pretty mean brunch on the weekend.

Detroit Breakfast House is a solid choice as well.

I'm a little partial to Russell Str Deli in Eastern Mkt, but its a little more downscale than the above mentioned places.

Here's another suggestion...if you haven't already booked a room, stay at the Inn on Ferry Street (Midtown). Awesome B&B accomodations, and a pretty nice breakfast to boot. You won't be sorry, and it's a good location in the middle of a lot of what you plan to do.

Enjoy, hope you have a great experience.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishbone's also has a great sunday brunch buffet - a bit pricey as well, but it is great.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Breakfast House and Grill. I also recommend the Inn on Ferry Street and also 97 Winder. Both very nice places.

Jita1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all for the great choices. I'm getting hungry..lol. I'm going to run it by my wife but I'm thinking:

1. Breakfast at Breakfast House
2. Lunch at Fishbone's or Lafayette Coney Island
3. Dinner at Niki's or Small Plates (are they still around?)

We may try some of the other places on her b-day next month.

(Message edited by jita1 on August 07, 2008)

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Brooklyn Street Grill over on Michigan Ave. is a good little breakfast place. Very intimate in size, good portions, good prices. Standard breakfast fair in a diner-like atmosphere.

That is, if you're ok eating a breakfast without linen napkins.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

honestly breakfast house is not worth it, Brooklyn Street is damn good though

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Clique has good breakfast, and once in awhile good morning entertainment.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We like Butcher's Inn and Honest? John's for breakfast. Great food...nice ambience!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the restaurant in the marriott across the street from the ren cen (millender center?) has a very good breakfast. stay at the marriott and eat there in the morning. my wife and i really liked it last aug during the jazz fest...

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breakfast House = Yum.

YPD

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a fan of the Breakfast House. Swank but the food is moderate almost lacking. Nice place to be seen by the well connected city types.

Try one of the other many suggestions listed above.

I am going to give all the other places a try too.

Atlas is great for dinner [west side Woodward south of Mack] I've never tried their breakfast menu.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto Kenp re: The Clique. Good food, good service, friendly atmosphere. It's not ritzy or upscale like some of the newer downtown breakfast spots, but who cares? It's a great place for breakfast.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 713
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louie's on Harper near Whittier.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dont do lunch at Fishbones, stick to Lafayette Coney.
Also, if you go to Butchers, ask the owner if there are cats in the kitchen. He will then know your a Detroityes member. By the way there arent any.

Tunnelman
Username: Tunnelman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward coney Island is great and reasonable for breakfast.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a really good breakfast at Union Street last year. I don't know if they still offer it. Also, Sweet Lorraine's in the Millender Center has been good to me in the past.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jacoby's does and excellent breakfast on Sundays. It's a historic building too. If you head to Eastern Market, Farmers has the best sausage.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luci and Ethels inside the Leland Hotel is the best breakfast in Detroit and also the most romantic place on Earth.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell Street Deli is great for breakfast. Just thinking about the corned beef hash makes my mouth water.

www.DetroitArmy.com

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It isn't in Detroit proper but on Mack between 7 and 8 mile roads is Original Pancake House with the best pancakes, crepes, waffles, and Baby Germans ever. Sausage, bacon and ham melt in your mouth and real potatoes for hash browns, not those shredded nothings. Coffee is excellent. Worth the slight detour, very clean and excellent service every single time. :-)

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday spots of my choosing for anniversary are:
Atlas Global Bistro (great building and food feels upscale and more private for dining with two)
Russell Street Deli (excellent atmosphere due to the market and fresh food ingredients "share tables with others" not open on sunday)

Sunday Spots:
Atlas Global Bistro (great building and food feels upscale and more private for dining with two)
Steak Hut (if you want to decent cheap food but hip atmosphere good people and live music "diner food")
La Dolce Vita (a bit out of downtown 7mile woodward but great food live music and indoor or outdoor seating)

Jita1

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for the many great choices.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Diane12163 choice, always a packed crowed with huge portions.

PS: I don't want to tell anyone where I go for the BEST breakfast all the time in the STATE for the least money. I want to stay anonymous.

(Message edited by lefty2 on August 11, 2008)

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Sunday Gospel brunch at Seldom Blues. No doubt pricey, but if you like gospel... Union Street and La Dolce Vida are also good spots.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always had a nice breakfast on Sundays with the ex at Jacobys. I miss those Sundays.

Jita1

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we've decided to try the Detroit Breakfast House tomorrow morning. Does anybody know what time they open?

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sausage McMuffin with egg and cheese. Hash brown. Coffee.

Good to go.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.google.com/search?q =Detroit+Breakfast+House

Jita1

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd recommend Gannon's place:

quote:

Breakfast is one of the meals I always knock out-of-the-park, as long as you'll tolerate McCann's Irish Oatmeal flavored with real Michigan Maple syrup and a dash of cayenne pepper, whole milk yoghurt, fresh-squeezed or Grovestand OJ, scrambled eggs with whole wheat toast (occasionally with cheese on the eggs), and the best damn espresso you've ever had...although I'll brew a pot if that's your disposition.

Sounds pretty good, no?

Jita1

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to report that the Breakfast House was excellent. Thanks again to everyone. My wife's birthday is coming up this Saturday and we may try one of the other suggested places.

Jita1

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, that Gospel Brunch at Seldom Blues sounds good.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a delicious crepe for breakfast? Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes on John-R (off Woodward) is excellent - inexpensive $4-5 and they have a wide selection.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some kiszka, black coffee and toasted rye bread.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 749
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jita, just out of curiosity, are many people wearing jeans or shorts at the B.H.?
I remember seeing in the paper a few yrs ago when it opened that this was discouraged. I've actually avoided the place a couple of times because I'm not dressing for breakfast when I'm in town for a couple of Tiger games on the weekends.

Jita1

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 401don. We dressed casual (khakis). I didn't notice if anyone had on jeans but I don't think they have a strict dress code. We went during the week and there were a few people with suits on, probably folk who worked downtown. You should give them a call to be sure.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 750
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jita, unless anyone else on the forum has experience there on weekends, I'll give them a call.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.