Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » George Corsetti 13th District Green Party « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can a White man win in the 13th district under the Green party????

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if he plays the lottery.

Popcanman55

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me put this another way can the Green party have any chance in Detroit???

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this November will be scary because most will vote straight Democratic...he will have to do some serious campaigning

English
Username: English

Post Number: 768
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the dad from the large Corsetti family who all went to Bates & Cass during my era?

Popcanman55

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sort of it's the Davis alumni

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4935
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Corsetti made one of the best Detroit documentaries ever -- Poletown Lives. He is a lifelong eastsider and pro little guy activist and lawyer as well as good human being and my friend. He would make a great rep but the winner-takes-all plurality-only-needed rules dooms the Greens and other minor party candidates. For now.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 624
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ yeah, all that, but he is still running for office in the 13th and is white. As noted above, about the only thing he is going to win in that district, no matter what the qualifications or pedigree, is the lottery.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Bless him for doing an issue campaign, but nope.

Only way a white man is winning that district is if he's a democrat, lives in the city, AND has a strong machine that the national or state party doesn't stop because of CCK's influence.

I don't think a white man can't get elected. But I do think a non-Democratic party white man can't. It's a communist system, like most of our nation is now with Gerrymandering.

Eastsideboy
Username: Eastsideboy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lowell thanks for the plug!
To answer your questions: the guy with the large family that all went to Bates is my brother Rocky; you can vote a straight ticket and still vote for someone from another party for any of the slots, but most people don't know that. The district is quite diverse and stretches from the Grosse Pointes to Wyandott. I live in Detroit on the east side where I was born and raised. I have good issues, NAFTA and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are both products of Dems and Republicans and we've lost a lot of jobs from NAFTA and we need to end the wars obviously. And certainly not start any new ones with Iran. The problem is the lack of familiarity with the name, I'm not a professional politician, but it can be done, especially since the Kilpatrick name seems to be losing ground with each passing day. Money is obviously an issue since I don't have much, but voters will be looking for an alternative to Ms. Kilpatrick. Cheers

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote "George Corsetti made one of the best Detroit documentaries ever -- Poletown Lives"

I'd love to get a copy of that somewhere.

George, if Poletown was intact today as it was then, you might have a shot at it.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6192
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us be clear, that he's third party is a much greater disadvantage in the district than his race. I know folks love to stir the shit no matter what side of the race fence you're on, but the question here would be more likely can a third party candidate run competitively in the 13th district, and like the vast majority of American districts the answer would be "probably not".

Foosie
Username: Foosie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if he plays the lottery.

that's funny and soooo true!

Popcanman55

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will say he would make a great Congressman. He argues great on the holidays! I want to know where to get my George Corsetti Bumper sticker! Even if he is the green party.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.