Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Information on Section 8 Housing in Wayne County « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking about renting my house in wayne county. Where can I find information about Section 8...does it take much to become a certified Section 8 property? Has anyone had first hand experience with wayne county and section 8?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit...please e-mail me at corneroffice2 @ aol.com..I work for someone who has renters on Section 8. I'm sure I can help you.

Eastsideboy
Username: Eastsideboy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can register your house with the Detroit Housing Commission, number of bedrooms, etc They are having a fair for landlords on 21 August. Once you find a potential sec 8 tenant, the tenant notifies their case worker and an inspector comes out to look at the house. They do a fairly thorough inspection, all windows work with no broken glass, screens, smoke detector, no paint chipping, etc. BTW they require a working refrigerator and stove in the place. The big advantage is the tenant is probably reliable since they have to pay the security deposit themselves and the rent is auto deposit in your account. I've had a couple of sec 8 tenants and it worked out well.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^that is exactly how you do it. Take no more advice and follow that.

(I had a section 8 tenant)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The working stove and refrigerator do not have to be furnished by the landlord. Also no double cylinder locks, (they must have a thumb turn, not a key, to unlock door from the inside). GFCI outlets (in kitchen and bath) enforcement is sporadic. Chipping paint is not limited to inside, but also must be remediated outside, including the garage. These are the most common repairs I see.

Motorcitywireless
Username: Motorcitywireless

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great information. I Manage several properties for a Private Investor, and have been trying to convince him to do Section 8. He is not willing to commit to repairs until he has a lease agreement, but I keep relating that he can't get a Section 8 tenant without repairs that would pass inspection.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why won't he commit to repairs? Would he want to live in those places?

One of the most common answers we hear from the question "why are you moving?" is "the landlord said he would make the repairs, but he never did."

Yeah, but he continued to collect rent, didn't he!

As I've mentioned before on these posts, being a slumlord is easy, and there's a ton of 'em around these parts.

Typical landlord overhead:

Insurance ($500-700/yr. in Detroit minimum. $1000 or more with only 60 amp service)
Annual Taxes (non-homestead $2000 plus yr)
Repairs (can you pay the heating & cooling guy in Oct when the furnace won't fire up?)
Mortgage + interest
Detroit $300 bulk pick-up charge

Let's just say you're $3000 deep per year in taxes & insurance. At $600 /month rent = 7200 year. Will that remaining $4200 (350/month) cover your mortgage? How about repairs?

Did you know the bailiff costs $800, plus $250 for the dumpster fee (can't throw shit on the curb anymore in Detroit).

We just tried to get a foreclosure in Rosedale / Brightmoor. $12,000 house. The deal breaker was the taxes. $5500 per year. Walked away.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know the WWW of this meeting? My mom is moving to an apartment because the neighborhood has gone to the "rats". She still owes too much on the house to even try to sell or rent for reasonable rates without this type of voucher program.

Blueidone

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call the Detroit Housing Commission...they will be happy to give you the information and help you, I'm sure.

Motorcitywireless
Username: Motorcitywireless

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why won't he commit to repairs? Would he want to live in those places?"

He is hesitant to commit to repairs UNTIL he has a tenant. Those that were repaired and remained vacant for any length of time were stripped. He does do repairs whenever necessary for those that are occupied, which is rare, because the properties are newly renovated for each new tenant. Problem still being that it needs to be renovated prior to Section 8 tenancy, because it has to pass inspection, so it kind of puts him in a catch 22.

W_6_mile
Username: W_6_mile

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the normal wait time when placed on the waiting list?

Blueidone

Post Number: 316
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

W-6, if you mean as a tenant, it all depends on when you apply, what kind of funds are available and what properties are available, and how desperate your need is.

If you are a landlord, I don't think it takes very long to get an inspection and if your property passes, you are good to go.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are a landlord, the tenant has to arrange the inspection to receive funds, so they do that fairly quickly, or else rent comes out of their own pocket. After the inspection, the landlord has two weeks to make repairs, then they come out and re-inspect. If extra re-inspections are necessary, the tenant still doesn't get the money until the unit passes.

So, if you wanna get a Sec. 8 tenant, you want to pass the inspections quickly if you want to get your rent. Otherwise, tenants have to pay out of pocket (which they probably won't have, which is why they applied for Sec 8), and you, as the landlord, may not get your rent.

BTW, Sec 8 does not cover security deposits. The tenant has to manage that on their own.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.