Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Construction prep at Woodward and Willis in Midtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting tidbits of info at the bottom of this story.

WSU opens real estate venture
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080804/BIZ/8 08040320

quote:

The group seeks to finalize $8.5 million in funding to construct a complex of 11 rental units and retail and commercial space on Woodward and Willis.

Walked past there this morning and that lot was fenced off with work trucks inside of it. It looked like earth could start moving there sooner rather than later.

Another interesting bit of info in that story:

quote:

Vicente's Cuban Cuisine owner in downtown Detroit is looking for a spot in the WSU area to open Café Barcelona.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, I assumed that woodward/willis project was dead in the water....good news

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Cafe Barcelona thing is currently dead in the water. He was looking at the former Agave and Twingos spaces but nothing ever became of it.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad about the Cafe Barcelona thing. Maybe the Vicente's folks could take over the Avalon space once Avalon moves to 55 Canfield? Anyways, a rendering of the Willis/Woodward development can be found midway down this website.

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/d evelop_projects_medical.php?ms ub=5

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

direct link to the pic (albeit small)
http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/image_lib/woodward_willis.j pg

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the fenced off area for the woodward willis development or is it for the crew doing the new street lights? UCCA could have fenced off a lot for them to put their equipment since they are involved with the street light project. The one vehicle in there over the last week was associated with a trencher which I could see them using for the new lights where they are removing the bricks.

If it was for the development you think they would have fenced off the full corner and removed the scrub trees. These are outside of the fence and will need to be removed before the development takes places I would assume. Then they would have to go back in and change the fence location.

I really hope this development goes forward then getting rid of the booze store on the corner or changing it to upscale would help control the pan handling and give watchful eyes on the street for smash and grabs. Willis is a sea of glass from those a-holes.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense Troy. I can definitely see it working out that way.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

direct link to the pic (albeit small)
http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/image_lib/woodward_willis.j pg

Ooooh! I LIKE that! I was afraid it would look something like that fugly-ass thing they put at Woodward and Forest.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fugly as it is, it's much better than what was there. Although I would have rather they kept the old Vernor's plant, turned it into lofts and kept the old sign next to the Whitney. That looked so garishly cool.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 730
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woodward/willis lot is for the street construction. I work across the street and I see the workers on the street beautification project come and go from that spot. So sadly it is not the construction you hope for but the street work is a positive as well.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually like that building. It will be going next to McDonalds, right? Hollywood is clearly having an affect on Detroit. I could see the Coyote shopping for all his future anvils at that ACME Store. Hehe!

I really like what I'm seeing in the New Center/WSU areas. It really is showing some promise, even in these rocky times.

What do you guys think about the future of New Center in comparison with Downtown? I'm just curious to hear some opinions. :-)

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Centers future is just as bright as downtown. For some information I would look at plans for tech town, you can search it in google. The course is a little different with more emphasis on high tech industry and eduction, the university and private K-12 with a mix of residential.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait new streetlights in Detroit? Will they actually light up at night? WHAT?! lol

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That photo of Studio One on the Freep page really illustrates the strength of the development. It uses space well, pulling right up to the sidewalk and providing lots of good views for the tenants, offering all the advantages of a traditional urban format for those who live there, but there is parking -- in the BACK-- that will guarantee success for the retailers there, who (as much as we'd like them to be able to thrive from neighborhood foot traffic alone) can fall back on that parking to keep business steady at all times. Correct me if I'm wrong-- that parking is for customers, right, or is it for tenants?

At any rate, alot of these big, open lots all along Woodward (think down closer to the Fisher across from Brush Park, too) are well suited for more similar development.

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup that parking is strictly for retail customers. we (the tenants) must use the attached structure. i love the idea.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.