Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Ernies in Oak Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here been to Ernies in Oak Park? The BEST sandwiches made fresh. I hadn't been there in a year or so since I don't work out that way anymore, but I stopped by today.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEAH BABY! iexcellent sandwhichs!isnt that what he says all the time? yeah baby!?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernies is great, I need to go back soon BABY!

Uptown
Username: Uptown

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live right down the street from Ernie's. The "love spice" is like crack. You get addicted to his sandwiches, but also to just having a simple or complex conversation with him. He is the neighborhood sage. In our current times, that is a dying breed.

I've been going there for about 13 years now. Any times that I've needed advice, he is there. It makes the sandwich taste just better.

I have my entire office at work hooked on his sandwiches. We drive from Southfield every Friday to get them.

Rsw
Username: Rsw

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place sounds good, though I've never been there. Where exactly is it in Oak Park? Thanks in advance...

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Pearson, right down the street from Ernie. I've been going there for about 20 years, probably longer. Great guy, great family, great place!

Uptown

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSW, Ernie's market is located on Republic and Pearson, just on the Ferndale/Oak Park border. He is in a quaint, nondescript building. Nothing on the outside of the store says he makes sandwiches. You need to go in and ask. "He'll hook you up baby!" It is truly one of the last "mom and pop" stores left in the Metro area. The interior hasn't changed in quite a long time. The walk in beer fridge will impress, as will the deli counter. The little wear spots where hundred of people have leaned on the counter to watch him work, pretty cool. It's like the wooden hand rails on the Gemini @ Cedar Point. You get a feel for all the generations of families, people who have all come and gone. Ernie has always been there, making an impression on them all.

Here is a yahoo link about his store:
http://local.yahoo.com/info-16 243469-ernie-s-market-oak-park

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah ive been to ernies great place good price.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does his sandwiches compare to Eph's or Mudgies? Sounds like I gotta make the drive.

Stromberg2

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one type of sandwich, three different sizes.

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just get the Big One. 5 dollars of fantastic sammich!.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 630
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On your recommendations, I just swung by Ernies. Jesus, what a frggin gigantic sandwich for $5. Very good. Ernie is quite a character.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the meats he puts in it? Not a corned beef fan, but anything else is cool.

Stromberg2

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 631
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

turkey, salami, and I'm not sure the third one.

Uptown

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham, Turkey, Salami, and on some special occasions, Corned Beef.

You gotta get in real good with Ernie, and he might pick up the Land O Lakes Cheddar. Dear god does it make that sandwich absolutely heavenly. A very creamy cheese, and also insanely expensive.

Ernie likes to mix up the cheeses he puts on the sandwiches. You always get a yellow and a white, but they vary. I think that is what makes it so interesting of a sandwich, is the differing and subtle tastes that you get. No sandwich is really ever the same from week to week.

Plus, let's face it: Ernie himself is what makes that sandwich. Indeed, he is quite a character. A showman really. You are smiling after you leave his store. You can see people try to fight it if they are a first timer, but they can't help it. You can tell they just had something added to their life that they never had before they walked in there. Pretty cool and rare to have someone like that around, and freely give that life experience away.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had Ernie's once, and it was delicious. Suzy from WRIF turned me onto them (it's near the station). They're always closed by the time I get near there, though.

Uptown

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie usually closes up shop for the day around 6pm, depending on the time of year. As it gets into Winter months, he closes up show a little earlier. He is mainly a lunchtime store, and from the commercial businesses and with Ferndale High being a few blocks Southeast, he gets the most of his customers during the rush.
He usually opens 10am-6pm Weekdays, and 10-5pm on Saturday. Closed Sunday.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there today, first time, and it is awesome. I loved the place, and the show. I got a $5 sandwich in a hoagie roll, and it was plenty big enough for my guy and me to split for dinner. Very messy and wonderful. Ernie is so friendly and welcoming, it's got to make any day better just to go in there and get a sandwich. Today it was turkey, ham and salami with Swiss and Colby, and every day is different.

I was only the second visitor to admit finding out about the place from this forum.

Jerrytimes

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you tell Ernie that I posted about him here?
This week I need to go again and I think I'm going to introduce my wife to his place. She's not too into sandwiches, but I think his could sway her.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been a few years, but yeah, great samwich and nice guy. Reading this thread reminds me I gotta go back (I'm on the other side of town).

How come the good guys are always named Ernie?

Same reason all roofers are named Earl, I guess....

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 602
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped by Ernies for the first time today. And it will not be the last time. Ernie made...for $5.00...a great sandwich for me....I couldn't finish it in one sitting. Even more so, it was worth the money just to talk to Ernie and listen to him tell me the history of the place. As already noted, it is like going back into time. "Yeah, Baby!" And Ernie is such a great guy. As I was leaving, he kept calling me back to show me this little bit of history or tell me another story. I will return...the 15 minutes in there brightened my day. And Ernie was impressed to know that he's been mentioned on this forum. By the way, if you go to Ernie's and are satisfied (money-back guarantee) or already frequent the place, please vote for him for Best Sandwich Shop on ClickonDetroit.com (WDIV). Go to the left side of the site and click on where it says Vote 4 the Best, then go to Cheap Eats, then click on Sandwich Shop. Find the picture of Ernie's Market (on the 2nd page of entrants) and vote. Ernie is currently in 3rd place, only 2% behind 1st Place. He is doing well against some better known establishments. Anyway, I will be back to Ernie's. Thanks to this site and Jerrytimes for clueing me in.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 303
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Vote for Ernie!" I like that. And I did.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

used to go for lunch in high school all the time. Havent been in years

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh - ERNIE'S! I haven't thought about that place in 20 years or more! I used to go there all the time when I was in high school at Ferndale High, we would walk there and get a sandwich or some candy and walk back to school.

Wow - I absolutely have to go there now!~Liza

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.