Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Sign THE PETITION - City Council - This Saturday... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wordonthestreet
Username: Wordonthestreet

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been said, on this very board, that "someone should start a petition to elect city council members by district." Well, someone did. A variety of groups, including the Detroit chapter of the League of Women Voters, has an air-tight, fool-proof petition to amend the city charter. If the petition succeeds, Detroit voters will see the city council issue before them on the ballot. The measure would replace the current all-at-large system with seven city council members elected by district, plus two more members elected at-large.

Over the last few weeks, the League has hit the ground and gathered thousands of signatures. If you haven't signed the petition already, we'd like to make it easy for you. Come by Willis & Cass this Saturday, any time between 9:00am and 2:00pm. We'll be sitting in front of Avalon Bakery, taking signatures and, of course, talking all things Detroit.

Even if you don't necessarily agree with council-by-district, we encourage you to sign anyway. Signing the petition simply helps put the question on the ballot. No one is claiming that a district city council will magically solve all the city's problems; still, the issue promises to generate an important discussion about leadership in our city.

Again, that's THIS SATURDAY AUGUST 2, 9:00am to 2:00pm, in front of Avalon. Just look for your neighbors with clipboards and petition sheets!

Take a minute out of your Saturday to help your city improve. Spread the word!

More info to follow...

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martha Reeves sat at the council table today and said she didn't know Tiger Stadium was being torn down! Damn! Can you say, "I'm NOT smarter than a 5th grader"!

I'll see you at Avalon

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I signed it today!

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 309
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there at the end of my shift!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, everyone, go out of your way to sign this petition.
"If the petition succeeds, Detroit voters will see the city council issue before them on the ballot."

You just HAVE to be able to vote. Even if you don't agree with the petition, you have to agree with the right to vote.

I wish you all well.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to sign this petition, but I have to work on Saturday. Where/when else can I sign the petition?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I too will be out of town on saturday! where else can I sign this petition? Anywhere tomorrow or Thursday? Thanks, Andy

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 493
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This petition should be online, too.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the petition. I'm in Brush Park. I could meet anyone at say, Zaccaro's, over the next few days. Just say when. (The petition may be on-line, but it clearly states that it must be signed in the presence of the solicitor.)

You can also sign the petition by stopping by the League of Women Voters office in the Julian Madison Building on Washington Blvd, directly across the street from the Trolley apartments. Tom

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7560
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A petition to elect city council members by district. Sounds like a EVIL ward system plot to me.
I will never sign that petition.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the petition still going?
I need to sign it- anyplace I can?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, does anyone know if the league got their 34,000 signatures by Tuesday's (Aug 12) deadline?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080715/COL 10/807150346
quote:

Madison said the league should have no problem filing its petitions with the needed 34,000 signatures by Aug. 12.

(I'll be pretty pissed off if they didn't make it, since they sound fairly confident there.)

I did see them out collecting signatures at my polling location on the 5th, though I had already signed it earlier.

Personally, I think this particular council-by-district proposal is a lot better than the previous couple of proprosals which were both 9 districts only with no at-large members. Here's hoping they made it.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I signed the petition outside of my polling place on primary election day. I really hope they got enough signatures.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can alway get on the ballot by pressuring the Michigan HOUSE to vote on it. We need 2/3 of the to vote Yea.
Write and pressure our overpaid workers in Lansing when they come back from their vacation villas.
old article
http://www.michigandaily.com/c ontent/districting-gets-red-li ght

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.