Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Eddystone and Harbor light « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Drove by these Sunday both are wide open and Judging by the smell coming out of the buildings on a hot day there no doubt where every local homeless guy is is using it for a bathroom.

(Message edited by ddaydave on July 28, 2008)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that they are being destroyed by neglect to make room for the new Red Wings hockey arena. It's sad that these building couldn't have been better secured for future development.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 920
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^That's very insightful...

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought there was a big banner on the side of one of the buildings saying it was going to be used somehow. I could be wrong. I rode by about a week ago and remember the Eddystone being boarded up. that could have changed in a week though.

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think that banner was an advertisement for a loft building in brush park.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha. I saw a huge banner from Woodward about condos or something, couldnt read the smaller print. I just assumed it was for that building.

Did Harbor Light mission move to another bulding?

I had been in the Eddystone a few times in the 90s before it closed. That had to be probably the scariest Ive been in, in Detroit anyway. Use to be one of the bigger open air drug markets in the city. Out front that is.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3272
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^They're in SW Detroit on Fort St.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The destruction of these two has been vastly accelerated since the windows were removed as part of a failed redevelopment.

I give them two winters.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously, this fell through, but here was the old plan;

Link: http://www.modeldmedia.com/developmentnews/eddystone.aspx

Rendering:

Eddystone

Do you guys think these were sure to flop? While the Book-Cadillac and other's did good, I think this one would have been more like Mid Med Lofts and Ellington. I think what other posters have said. These failed because of marketing, market conditions, and inability to understand their customers. These buildings were surrounded by empty fields and blight. I think the (is Cross Winds the name?) the developers on the opposite side of Woodward had it right. They worked their way back from the main road entrance (Woodward). This possibly changed perceptions? The residents, and their guests, did not have to drive past abandoned meant, and the broken windows of blight. A important key, if your trying to appeal to that demographic.

The Ellington on the other hand, has several problems, but the biggest may be that they were probably counting on the area "coming back" much quicker than it did. In fact, it never really made it far enough for that kind of development (this may be changing). Was the Harbor Light ever marked for renovation? How about the Americana Hotel (right name?) around the block?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the past 6 years, there has been a lot of talk about renovating the whole Cass Park area. It is all a great idea with amazing potential, but there is nothing there to anchor any of the development. Urban City Living either bought or got rights to redevelop the Harbor Light and the Eddystone. Due to the slow sales and renovation problems at their other properties across the street (Carlton and accompanying buildings), these two buildings are either on permanent hold or canceled. I have no idea what they were thinking that these two buildings could be redeveloped into luxury condos with nothing else occuring in the surrounding area.

Ultimately, the Masonic Temple could be a catalyst for redevelopment, but the Masons do not have the money, nor are willing to invest in the area (including the Americana Hotel). I do not know if Ilich will step up to the plate to spark some of the same redevelopment that occured around the FOX? I somehow doubt it, because he hasn't even followed through with all of the "plans" he has had for THAT area.

One final note. Without SECURE PARKING, neither of these buildings will ever be redeveloped. I agree that with the windows gone, both of these buildings will not last longer than 3 years.

OH and it has nothing to do with a new hockey arena, people. That's just crazy talking.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13690
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,

Did you ever go into the Seville Hotel, behind the Masonic on Second?

Now THAT was a scary place...New Jack City in our own town...eight floors of various levels of hell.

I couldn't believe it...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How about the Americana Hotel (right name?)"

You're sorta right. In Detroit's peak, it was the Hotel Fort Wayne (family owned). The American Hotel was one of those 70s perks.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you guys think these were sure to flop? "

Yes. That area is a haven for prostitutes, alcoholics and drugged-out types. Hard to sell fancy pants condos in that part of town. Now, if that area were gentrified, the project woulda been grand.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon what where you doing in there? lol

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6186
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes, and exactly how do you gentrify an area? lol

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.