Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Zoo Vote - Next Tuesday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7855
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder that the Zoo vote is next Tuesday. I will be voting yes on a millage that will likely cost me about $10 a year in property taxes, but restore vital funding to The Detroit Zoo that was lost when Detroit dropped its funding. Without this millage, it appears the Zoo will not be able to continue operation and will close forever.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7856
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. August 5th

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link to request a vote yes for the zoo yard sign:
http://www.ourzooisworthkeepin g.org/support/dzs/request_a_ya rd_sign/

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7857
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proposed millage as compared to other regional Zoos:

Toledo
1.85 mills
36.4% of operating costs

Akron
.80 of a mil
58.8% of operating costs

Lansing
.46 of a mill
91.4% of operating costs

Detroit
.10 of a mill-Proposed
33% of operating costs

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VOTE YES

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7858
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Find out how the millage would effect you:

http://www.ourzooisworthkeepin g.org/support/dzs/tax_calculat or/

Tax calculator.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom lives in Birmingham. At this time in her life she has zero interest in visiting the zoo.

Her explanation of why she will vote yes is that to have a zoo will benefit the entire Metro Detroit area.

She calculated that the millage will cost her about $16.50 per year.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7859
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some things people might not know is that the Zoo affects them in ways beyond what a visit to it tells. For example, they are active in breeding local endangered species and releasing them into the wild. Just recently they released a large number of endangered toads in Macomb township that had nearly dissapeared from the environment. They also serve as an "Ark" for many endangered reptiles and amphibians, keeping the species in existence as they dissapear in the wild, in hopes of reintroducing them should conditions become favorable. Otherwise that genetic information could be lost forever. They are also working on reviving the populations of the Karner Blue Butterfly, which has been dissapearing throughout the United States.

Karner Blue Butterfly being reintroduced:
http://www.detroitzoo.org/News flashes/2008_Press_Releases/De troit_Zoo_and_Michigan_DNR_to_ Release_Captive-Reared_Karner_ Blue_Butterflies_into_the_Wild /

2,000 Puerto Rican Crested Toads reintroduced:
http://www.detroitzoo.org/News flashes/2008_Press_Releases/De troit_Zoo_Releases_2%2C000_Pue rto_Rican_Crested_Toads/

Great Lakes Piping Plover being rescued from the brink of extinction:
http://www.detroitzoo.org/News flashes/2008_Press_Releases/De troit_Zoo_Bird_Keepers_Head_Up _North_to_Help_Save_Great_Lake s_Piping_Plover/

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can bet your Karner Blue Butterfly I'll be voting YES.

Won't even cost me $5 a year. Money is tight, but I think I can scrape up enough in deposit bottles alone to pay for that. Before the year is up I hope to make a small donation as well.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7555
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Save the Animal's Save the Detroit Zoo our only zoological park. VOTE YES!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.