Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Demolition by neglect in and around the University District? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Driving through the University District, I noticed that a house on Muirland just north of Santa Maria was being knocked down. I was told by some former neighbors that the house had been vacant for 4 years or so and with the housing market the way it is no one would put the time into renovating it because it is not lucrative any more.
I just cant comprehend this if it has been neglected for a few it must Go! attitude. It is like a disease around this city. I also notice a similar job on linwood just south of McNichols.
Anyone know more Specifics?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 217
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That house on Muirland has been in disrepair for quite a long time. The lady that lived there for 25+ years never so much as swept and had cats that took it over. Wait, I won't pussy foot around it, that house was fu*&^n nasty. It's a shame too cause the lead glass in there was beautiful.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 441
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad you didn't get a pix of the lead glass. A lost art, for sure.

Homes surrounding almost any urban university cost a lot of money and are in high demand. Not Detroit, though. Hmmmm

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very true eastside but also in other cities the Universities are not fenced in either.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 446
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, urban universities are often protected with security measures. I'm sure you understand why. Detroit is not alone in this regard.

The University of Houston and Houston Baptist University are two that come to mind. UT and A&M are not, however.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7532
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well! Once the loss of jobs, low-income folks, slumlords and the crackheads from Highland Park came crashing into the once beautiful Detroit ghettohood, it started to slowly fall apart. I once lived in once of those beautiful homes in University Village 25 years ago. Once a ethnic soup of Whites, blacks and Jews now mostly a black ghetto filled with single black mothers with kids and troubled black males.

You should see what happen to Pilgrim Village.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 450
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse my ignorance, but where is Pilgrim Village? I'm not familiar with it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7537
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's located on Puritan St. to Fenkell Ave. from Rosa Parks St. to Livernois Blvd. Rows of mostly wood frame, ranches, prarie gable bungalows, Dutch colonials and family flats. Built for middle imcome working "WHITE" families back in the mid 1920s. The ghettohood today is mostly low-income blacks. Some of the homes are well kept up, most of the Dutch Elm trees are long gone except the ones of Alden Street. Some of them homes are turned into crack head estates, vacant, and abandoned. There are some new single family homes already completed on Petosky St. to Belden St.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive got a picture of that house in my phone. Its been bad for as long as I've been in the neighborhood but I dont think houses like that should be torn down especially when there are far worse structures elsewhere in the city.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 477
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I wonder why the elms on Alden weren't affected. Obviously, hearty DNA. The agriculture boys at MSU should know about that. They're trying to propagate trees resistant to Dutch Elm.

They're already testing a disease-resistant American Chestnut. Good news, since Detroit was once full of Chestnut trees.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my neighborhood (Green Acres) the foreclosure crisis has had a welcome side effect. The houses in needing work the most tend to be the ones foreclosed, and the banks or new owners are doing quite a bit of work to the houses. Sad to see anyone lose a house, but good to see improvements to the neighborhood.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.