Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Belle Isle Aquarium & Zoo to become X-Games Park? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting tidbit from the Snews today about the Belle Isle Aquarium and Zoo. The Parks & Rec. Dept want to turn it into an X-Games park.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080725/METRO 01/807250303

Do what you want with the zoo. It wasn't that great of a place when it was open, but I'm not getting how the aquarium fits into this plan. It's not time to ring the alarm bells, but it would be good to keep close tabs on the project.

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think whatever mental illness BRC has is spreading. That's just stupid! They should turn the park over to the Metropark system, charge $1 or $2 per car do get on the island, and make the improvements needed to make it a 1st class park. This sounds like a very desperate administration. Selling the tunnel, trying to sell of parks and golf courses. All quick fixes for a broken system.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What idiots. An xgames park might be nice, but the zoo was fine as it was. The Aquarium though... WHAT IDIOTS. it was great before. sometimes I just have to say DUH. if you let expensive equipment sit around (and prob get stolen) for 3 years, AND disperse a 4000 fish collection... YEAH it will be more expensive to reopen. I really hate the GOVERNMENT in this city. uuughh..

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11959
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They should turn the park over to the Metropark system

For the millionth time - when the city approached HMCA they were politiely told to you F off.

I'm not trying to jump on you but this misconception is thrown out too foten.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic Detroit Style, Expect Nothing More"

""We never should have closed," Councilwoman JoAnn Watson said Thursday."

"City planning director Marcell Todd said the cost, not citing a dollar figure, of reopening the facility has increased substantially because of deterioration of equipment that has occurred since the shutdown."

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What idiots. An xgames park might be nice, but the zoo was fine as it was. The Aquarium though... WHAT IDIOTS. it was great before. sometimes I just have to say DUH. if you let expensive equipment sit around (and prob get stolen) for 3 years, AND disperse a 4000 fish collection... YEAH it will be more expensive to reopen. I really hate the GOVERNMENT in this city. uuughh.."

You can also blame the residents of this region who never visited the aquarium or cared about it until it closed.

Or, remember the arts and culture tax that the majority of residents in this region failed supported - if it had passed, we may still have the BI zoo and aquarium.

But, when all else fails, let's pick on the easy targets - council and the mayor.

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federal Money - Is it easier to get money for the X-Games Park than to repair/reopen and existing aquarium which cannot get any additional grant/federal/donations?

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, living way up in Fort Gratiot, my wife and visited the Isle, its zoo and the Aquarium a couple of times during the summer and at least once a year during the winter. admission was free with a Zoo membership...

we miss it. there isnt any real reason to visit now unless you want to sit in a traffic jam of youths. i can get a super view of the river (st clair river) and the lake right here at home...

Jt1

Post Number: 11962
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

there isnt any real reason to visit now unless you want to sit in a traffic jam of youths

With the exception of the west side of the island, the hand ball courts, driving range, golf course, beach, fishing, conservatory, giant slide and the sounds of the bell tower.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5171
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So there's this, the Maritime Academy proposal (which goes far beyond replacing the DBC), and the fact that a ton of pavement has been laid for staging areas for the Grand Prix.

YO, wake up: this park was designed by Olmstead (and the Aquarium by Kahn). How much do you want to change it to bring in random events and money? The primary purpose of the park is for use and appreciation by residents and visitors.

It won't be long before we'll have to say "the former Belle Isle Park was designed by Olmstead."

I'm all for making BI more of a gathering place and more appealing to different people, but these efforts need to be minimal and targeted.

We don't have ANY details on this aquarium-conversion proposal, so take my comments as a more general complaint about the directions things have been headed in. If the Aquarium can be preserved and re-used (even as a fun-camp for kids), then that is probably a very good thing. We'll see what is in the offing.

Registeredguest

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i can get a super view of the river (st clair river) and the lake right here at home..."

In addition, you can get a healthy dose of E Coli.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080722/METRO /807220411

Ahhhh - the sweet smell of good ole Macomb county sewage...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strongly against this one. Why The Aquarium?

The carousel Idea is also a horrible idea, in my opinion. We already have one in both Comerica Park and The Riverwalk. That's not to mention the two (I think) at the State Fair. To many will kill the novelty, and doom them all. Does every park in Detroit need a carousel? It's a waste of money too. Let's build more soon to be abandoned buildings (gift shops and restrooms).

Quote:

"...but (The Council) are starting to realize their dream (reopening the aquarium) may not mesh with the financial realities of the city and the desires of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick."

Are they serious? Cripes, show some backbone while working for the residents. This idea is possibly more idiotic than that MCS Police quarters nonsense he was spitting a few years ago.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will never happen. Unless the Conservancy or Penske get behind it, it will not happen. If Kwame wants it, it definitely won't happen.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 779
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Metro Beach is on Lake St. Clair not the St. Clair River. The water from Metro eventually makes it's way to Belle Isle, but has no chance of going up river into the St.Clair River.

Andylinn

Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can also blame the residents of this region who never visited the aquarium or cared about it until it closed."

- the article stated that 100,000 people visited it the year it closed. That is actually pretty good. it is roughly twice the attendance at MOCAD, and let's say, half of the DIA. (hard to estimate because they have not had predictable attendance figures since they began renovations YEARS ago)

aside from 32 hookers, how many people visit the manoogian mansion every year?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Andylinn: Hahaha. You're killin' me! :-)

Registeredguest

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The article stated that 100,000 people visited it the year it closed."

How about the year before that, or the year before that? Attendance has been on a declining trend: 113,000 visitors toured the aquarium in 1995, 86,000 in 2000, and 56,000 in 2004... I am not condoning council, only stating that they're a mere portion of the problem and an easy target for the reactionary types, of which there appear to be many in this region.

"^^^ Metro Beach is on Lake St. Clair not the St. Clair River. The water from Metro eventually makes it's way to Belle Isle, but has no chance of going up river into the St.Clair River."

Thanks for the geography lesson.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So irritating.

I emailed certain councilmembers with my opinions on the subject - which btw I have generally had constructive feedback from many members when writing to them, and they do at least appear to appreciate citizen response.

Either find a way to re-open the aquarium in conjunction with a skate park, or make the mayor live up to his promise of building a grand new aquarium along the riverfront.

Andylinn

Post Number: 933
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

still, my point stands. Aquarium is of more value to the people of Detroit than the Manoogian.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree it’s sad to see the aquarium and zoo go but the idea of a X-Games quality skate park is tantalizing. As the article states, there’s nothing like that in the city of Detroit, which there should be by now, and I know a lot of skaters (such as myself) have been waiting for a skate park in the city proper.

Skate parks draw a different crowd than your typical family/couple coming to town to see a ball game. Skaters tend to gravitate to urban areas and stay and explore. Their confluence at Belle Isle could spill out into downtown, giving Detroit more bodies on the street, thus producing a boon to local businesses there. Furthermore, most skaters are teenagers. If they come to Detroit and enjoy their time there, they may grow to love the city over time, and may, when they come of age, decided to live in Detroit.

If it’s done right maybe Detroit will host an X-Games in the future. How cool will that be?

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah!

I wish it was a Metropark though!

I go to Stoney Creek Metropark all the time in the summer and it seems like its always being improved by either ( Better beaches, cleaner water, new bike paths, repaved roads and bike paths) Ect....

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the Metroparks wanted to buy Belle Isle and make it a Metropark but Coleman didn't sell!

Jt1

Post Number: 11963
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I heard that the Metroparks wanted to buy Belle Isle and make it a Metropark but Coleman didn't sell!

I believe that is correct but would prefer if someone else can validate. If that is the question CAY screwed up. But in the recent past HMCA was approached about BI and they were less than receptive.

The funny thing is that HMCA cries that they are broke but the capital improvement projects doen at Stoney Creek and Kensington are ridiculous. Not the maintenance but new stuff.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7516
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! The Belle Isle Zoo and aqaurium to become a X Games Park. That would bring hip cool skinny jean Jesus haired white folks to Detroit. I hope Shawn White like it.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if we tear down the Manoogian Mansion and replace it with a Clown Hall of Fame?

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of being yelled at, I thought there was still a zoo on Belle Isle. The Belle Isle Nature Zoo run by the Detroit Zoo, no?

As for the idea, this is yet another one of Kwame's harebrained schemes that will not come to fruition. First the maritime academy, now this. Every time I think he couldn't possibly top himself in the asinine category, he goes ahead and does it. Amazing.

(Message edited by DBC on July 25, 2008)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Speaking in a calm voice*

Yes Dbc, that is correct.

However, the full-service (outdoor) Zoo on Belle Isle has been closed for nearly 10 years.

It is funny how they can't afford to maintain an Aquarium (or Zoo) but can open a skateboard park.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a skateboard park would be great for kids in the city. But I think think this is a horrible idea.

The only time an indoor skate park sees steady business is in the winter... and very few seem to stay open these days.

I've always thought a free, outdoor, concrete skateboard park on the riverfront would be ideal.
It's something I am definitely planning on suggesting to the DRC, in regards to the development of the West Riverfront. Chicago has 2 parks (1 north, 1 south) on the lake and they're always jammed.

On Belle Isle... what a waste.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Agreed.

Belle Isle should remain a relatively formal park (IMO), with things like museum & zoo attractions (fundamental places).

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about the year before that, or the year before that? Attendance has been on a declining trend: 113,000 visitors toured the aquarium in 1995, 86,000 in 2000, and 56,000 in 2004.

True. Of course, the ironic part is that even with the aquarium's attendance numbers hitting an all-time low in 2004, they are still 5 - 6 times higher than what we'd likely see from a skate park.

Pedlow Field Skate Park in Los Angeles is one of the largest public skate parks in the country. It only gets approx. 15,000 skaters per year.

That's with being in a city that has a population almost 4 times larger than Detroit and where skate boarding is much more ingrained into the local culture.
quote:

It is funny how they can't afford to maintain an Aquarium (or Zoo) but can open a skateboard park.

It's funny. I was thinking the same thing.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""driving range, golf course, beach, fishing""

you think, the Isle is the only place to do these things? ive got them all within 15 minute drive let alone an HOUR and 15 minutes...

""In addition, you can get a healthy dose of E Coli...Ahhhh - the sweet smell of good ole Macomb county sewage""

except im 50 miles UPSTREAM of any tainted beaches in Macomb County (which by the way the bacteria flows right past the island, downstream...)

and i stand corrected, there is the dossin museum. although my wife and daughter would rather visit the American Girl place in chicago...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many children in Detroit proper (roughly 100,000) actually know how to skateboard & how often do they use it?

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This posted to supporters of the Belle Isle Aquarium:

Dear aquarium friends,

It is the intention of the present Detroit City administration to destroy the Belle Isle Aquarium. (Read the Detroit News article below.)

When the administration closed it in 2005, there were few voices and no organization to come to the Aquarium's aid. Over the past three years, the Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium have patiently organized and networked to counter threats to the Aquarium.
To this end, you have to play your part. Please contact the Detroit City Council and the Mayor's Office and let them know in no uncertain terms that you strongly object to this proposal and demand that the institution be returned to its original function, that the Belle Isle Aquarium be reopened.

Article:

David Josar / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The Kilpatrick administration is moving ahead with plans to convert the shuttered Belle Isle Zoo and the Belle Isle Aquarium into new attractions that could feature gift shops, a carousel and X Games-like amenities with zip-lines and skateboard parks.

Several members of the City Council want both facilities, which were closed in 2005 due to the city's fiscal crisis, to reopen but are starting to realize their dream may not mesh with the financial realities of the city and the desires of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

"We never should have closed," Councilwoman JoAnn Watson said Thursday morning.

The aquarium, which had been the oldest operating aquarium when it was shuttered, had 4,000 species of fish that were dispersed to a variety of caretakers.

The building was designed by Albert Kahn and had 110,000 visitors the year it closed.

City planning director Marcell Todd said the cost, not citing a dollar figure, of reopening the facility have increased substantially because of deterioration of equipment that has occurred since the shutdown.

The zoo and aquarium have been turned over to the Recreation Department.

Interim Recreation Department Director Lawrence C. Hemingway said the department is looking at several plans for the facilities that include X Games-like activities. "The city doesn't' have anything like that," he said.

The city has earmarked $1.5 million for renovations but the expenditure hasn't been forwarded to the council for final approval.

The council will revisit the issue in September when the members return from their summer recess.

You can reach David Josar at (313) 222-2073 or djosar@detnews.com

Original article: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080724/M ETRO/807240460/1409/METRO

Esteban

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"City planning director Marcell Todd said the cost, not citing a dollar figure, of reopening the facility has increased substantially because of deterioration of equipment that has occurred since the shutdown."

Absolute rubbish. The Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium have spent three years figuring the cost and setting up the resources to reopen.
This administration just does not want to listen.

Esteban

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the FAQ from the Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium:
http://belleisleaquarium.com/f aq.htm

- Amongst other things, there's a good argument for not building a "Super Aquarium"

Jt1

Post Number: 11964
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

""driving range, golf course, beach, fishing""

you think, the Isle is the only place to do these things? ive got them all within 15 minute drive let alone an HOUR and 15 minutes...

Amd where did I say you don't have that near by? Your claim was

quote:

there isnt any real reason to visit now unless you want to sit in a traffic jam of youths

I pointed out many other reasons. never did I state that you don't have those near by. My apologies if that was hard to follow. Yor claims were inaccurate. I pointed out your inaccuracies.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's what I've been told by the HCMA. The HCMA was interested in making it a Metropark, but they wanted complete management control of Belle Isle, as they have with their other parks. The City of Detroit did not want to give up that control.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.