Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Any Drago's Burek fans here? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to eat at the restaurant in Hamtramck. What a unique experience. A Burek is this giant pie made from Philo dough and filled with ground lamb, cheeze, or sweet stuff like apples. The restaurant was on Jos. Campau and closed about 10 years ago. And a slice was something like $2.50. So about 6 months ago I happened to be at 15 and Ryan and noticed a sign that said Drago's Burek. I couldn't believe my eyes. So I stopped in and the owner came up to me and said, "You haven't been in in a long time. Where've you been?" I know the guy wasn't BSing me. I ordered a Burek and it was still $2.50 (although when I got my bill, it was $2.75) If you've never experienced a Burek, I encourage you to check it out. Just another cool thing about living in Detroit.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Burek is great . Just cant eat it too often because if I recall Drago used to deep fry his.

yum

the good rev

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The location in Hamt was due south of Baker's street car bar. I believe all the signage is still there and the gate is still pulled.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4926
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hit Drago's too sometimes after picking up my hard rye bread at another [still existent] Hamtramck Slavic wonder - The New Palace bakery. I loved it for its old style classic long and narrow hole-in-the-wall layout - a throwback to the 30's -40's. Lots of character and another Hamtramck bargain.

Jazzfan
Username: Jazzfan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two questions for Revaldullton:
1. How the heck can they fry something as big as a Burek? Those things are about the size of a tire!

2. Are there any other Burek places in the Detroit area?

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in "Hamtown" back in the late 70's, that and cheap beer from Lili's, the Bowery,etc kept me alive.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can still catch some very good burek in Hamtramck at the donut shop on the corner of Caniff and Conant.They have some really nice cabbage soup there too. The prices are equivalent to a working mans cafe. Quite reasonable.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jazz, Ive seen burek made about the size of a pizza and then placed in a deep fryer.

As far as any places in Detroit I could not point you anywhere because I live in NYC now.

If you are ever here though, you can get burek all over Astoria Queens.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, New Palace Bakery.

Thanks for reminding me of my age Lowell.

the good rev

Rochestertone
Username: Rochestertone

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure they fry the burek at Drago's

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7051
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can still catch some very good burek in Hamtramck at the donut shop on the corner of Caniff and Conant."

the one cater-corner from Smalls?

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They used to fry it in the 70's.

The owner was my dad's friend and my dad would run poker games on the weekends at his place on Campau.

I can remember my father used to by like 5 pies of each kind. cheese, meat and apple.cinnimon

the good rv

Detroitjim

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, Smalls pub is on the southwest corner.
Just a note they are not open very late in the pm though. I'm not exactly positive but I think only 4pm?

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The European American Market just south of Commor on Jose' Campau had Burek as recently as two years ago. I'll get back to you, maybe tomorrow.

Detroitjim

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Family Donut Shop" is the name of the burek place on the northeast corner of Conant and Caniff

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.