Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Giuliani For Mayor of Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you vote for him? Would his management style be good for Detroit? Would it be good for his reputation, should he want to run for Prez again?

I just saw him on MSNBC, looking almost bored talking about McCain, except to say they are friends.

Giuliani seems like the kind of guy who needs a challenge, or he gets himself in trouble. Also, as an "outsider", he's not in anybody's political pocket, so to speak.

What do you guys think?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2755
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After having lived under his regime for 10 years, I say, "Fuck that guy."

Jerseygirl
Username: Jerseygirl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the current Mayor is that much better? You can't deny that he cleaned up NY and could definitely do the same for Detroit.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't live under his regime...but I gotta believe he was a net positive to NYC. I'd take him over KK in heartbeat. Bing is still my odds on prime choice.

YPD

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7853
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELL YES! Of course I live in the burbs and I am not allowed to vote in Detroit...

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha...PG, I say this tongue in cheek, but you could always move back to the city. Small pockets of pro-business people around. We could use some more...

www.bookcadillacwestin.com
www.watermarkdetroit.com

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3010
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be awesome ! We can have our next 9/11 here with Rudys help.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 411
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765: Not based on fact; gotta call you on that one. Was DCs mayor at the time(Tony Williams) responsible, too?

OR, was that a "joke"?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5161
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is stupid.

Why would Rudy live here? Why would he want the responsibility.?

Ask us if we'd vote for someone similar to Rudy.

Jerseygirl
Username: Jerseygirl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lost 2 very good friends in 9/11 and take offense of your comment. I saw the towers come down in person and will never get those images out of my head. You must be very ignorant to make such a comment.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guliani was mayor of NYC during one of the great economic booms in the history of the world. A hamster could have managed nyc in the 90's.

Seriously though, it would be nice to have someone with his connections and resume at the helm.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7863
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A city must be in a position to capitalize on economic growth. Before Rudy, crime was rampant and businesses and residents were moving out, after, total success.

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be Giuliani's biggest obstacle if he were to actually run here?

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7864
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong party, wrong color.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3327
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What would be Giuliani's biggest obstacle if he were to actually run here?

I guess knowing next to nothing about the city of Detroit would probably be an obstacle.

Rudy was not liked by all and there are still very sore feelings about him among both the minority communities and the media. His own hometown paper endorsed McCain in the primaries over him. Heck, he might not have even taken his home state had he stayed in the primaries long enough...

quote:

I just saw him on MSNBC, looking almost bored talking about McCain, except to say they are friends.

Can you blame him? Who doesn't get bored talking about McCain?

Whittier70

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
wrong party, wrong color.

Could a person of such party or race ever be elected here?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4302
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Giuliani seems like the kind of guy who needs a challenge, or he gets himself in trouble. Also, as an "outsider", he's not in anybody's political pocket, so to speak.

But as an outsider why would he give a shit about Detroit? Being "bored" won't be enough of a motivation to do the job. Someone who has ties to or cares about the city is needed.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too little too late maybe?

NYC got Guliani in 1994. Here in Detroit, the damage was already done.

By 1994, half of the population & city itself is gone.

Detroit would have benefited more if we had our own Richard Daley or Bill Campbell/Shirley Franklin during the elections of '70 or '74 (Detroit still had a diverse population, 1.5 million people, much of the building stock not destroyed during the riots and was the economic center of SE Michigan).

Maybe if we get (I think) an honest businessman who's a relative loner, then we could save what's left of Detroit.

However, the chances of that are slim (although not impossible).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 23, 2008)

Whittier70

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if it were between Guiliani or Tyrone Biggum? who would you vote for?

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never too late. NYC was on the verge of not making bond payments, payroll, and pension back in the 1970's. Almost went into receivership.

The question is how do we do it?

Fiscal conservatives, like myself, usually start with ideas on how to attract business and economic development. Some focus on need for security. Some want to fix schools first, to stop people leaving. We all want a goverment free of corruption and scandal.

Maybe what we really need to is to focus on our perception of ourselves individually and of our region. Deal with the healing of our relationships with each other and with the city.

We are sometimes like two neighbors arguing over property lines, while both our houses are on fire.

Is Giuliani the man who could fix that? I'm not sure. I think we need a person who brings the same business & city building skills of Oakland County while also being able to earn the hearts and trust of the City of Detroit residents.

People with these qualities are hard to find, but they're out there.

No, I'm not running for Mayor.

YPD

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giuliani was obviously not responsible for 9/11, but his stupid and stubborn decision to locate NYC's emergency response center in the World Trade Center certainly cost a number of lives.

Giuliani rightly gets credit for the improvement in public safety during his time in office, but I believe the person most responsible was Bill Bratton, and if Detroit could lure him away from Los Angeles I think that would be quite a coup. The chances of that happening are only slightly greater than the chances of Giuliani becoming mayor.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, if you are tired of sex scandals, Rudy probably isn't your guy.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about it is, Detroit and NYC are 2 different animals in 2008.

Maybe in 1970 or 1074, I would have agreed with you guys. Now I strongly disagree.

NYC is the economic center of America. If it died, so did the U.S.A. That certainly was not going to happen.

Detroitr was also the next biggest economic center of America. We help to save this country in WWII. Unfortunately, we didn't get the special treatment we deserved when it was desired the most (not to mention the Automobile industry was branching out & going downhill anyway, so Detroit wasn't as important). Now half the city is gone.

As Helen Willis from The Jefferson plainly stated (this was during the 70s)...

If everyone just decided to abandon NYC, the city would die.

That's certainly happening in Detroit.

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that's changed in the last 20 years, is that for the first time -- I believe -- the suburbs are having to pay a price for a failing City of Detroit. 20 years ago? Gas was cheap, the Ford Taurus was a blockbuster, and I was 10 years old. I'm sure Bloomfield, Southfield, and Troy were just giddy about taking population outside the city.

But something's starting to brew differently now. While I know that L. Brooks and KK aren't down on the riverfront singing Kumbaya, us young folk on both sides of 8 mile are seeing (and saying) that when Detroit fails, we all fail.

Detroit is not going to die. Because -- just as people are saying about Freddie and Fannie -- it's too big to fail. It might not be big in the eyes of NYC, LA, and DC, all of Michigan is starting to feel the pain of a failing urban core.

Maybe for the first time, even?

YPD

(Message edited by youngprofessionaldetroiter on July 23, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets face reality.
1. Guiliani is white and he would never get elected.
2. He would never run for mayor of Detroit.
3. There are better people to run this city but won't because it is too much trouble than running a company and they can make a lot more.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5163
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerseygirl I agree, that comment was absurd, and brought on by a stupid thread no less.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find your way to some of the more productive and interesting threads.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it's hardly fair to blame Guiliani for 9/11. He knew as much about the whole thing as we did.

If anyone, I blame our President. I'm sure Bush knew about the whole plot before in happened. Yet, he chose not to warn anyone.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 23, 2008)

Whittier70

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dam !

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah so we have Guliani haters here huh?

Well personally I think he is a pompous ass just like Bloonburg but if it had not been for him Mr. Nerd you probably would not be living a peaceful life in New York.

Had it not been for him you may as well have stayed in Detroit because NY certainly was headed down that route before he cleaned up Koch's and Dinkin's moronic messes.

the good rev

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 7867
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm sure Bush knew about the whole plot before in happened.

Really, do you have any proof of that? I know, stupid question. Of course you don't.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerseygirl,

Ignore these people on here. They have no heart at all regarding the loss of life. At least not innocent lives in America.

But they weep for a 100,000 imaginary dead Iraquis.

Its more like 5000 innocent Iraquis that perished because of this war and their lives were just as important as those that died here in Manhattan and DC.

People that bash 9/11 every chance they get are truly sick individuals.

the good rev

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3400
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must be from New Orleans, cause he gets a big NO.

Whittier70

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?????????????

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is starting to resemble the Freep.com comment section. We can do better than this, guys...

YPD

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Really, do you have any proof of that? I know, stupid question. Of course you don't."

If FDR discovered Japan was somehow plotting on the U.S. before Pearl Harbor in 1941, I'm sure Bush had some knowledge (no matter how minor or crazy it seemed) about the entire plan, no?

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If anyone, I blame our President. I'm sure Bush knew about the whole plot before in happened. Yet, he chose not to warn anyone. "

It would make a whole lot more sense to say the Clintons knew it was foing to happen because after all, didn't Billy boy let him go numerous times when Sudan offered him up to us?
Yes he did.

Wasn;t youur man Billy the one who insisted Israel let go of all terrorists in an Israeli/Palestinian prisoner swap which the ring leader Mohammed Atta was a part of

yes he did

After all, I believe it was under Billy's admn (the libs hero once upon a time until you kicked him to the curb quicker than hugh grant kicked that hooker out of his car) Yes, Billy allowed all of our interests to be bombed by Osama and Co without any sort of reciprocity other than lobbubg one missile into a desert pretending to go after him.

Was Bush responsible, NO. Billy boy was.

the good rev

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But as an outsider why would he give a shit about Detroit? Being "bored" won't be enough of a motivation to do the job. Someone who has ties to or cares about the city is needed.

Maybe not for you & me, Pam. But Super A-types like Rudy need that next big thing. The potential for uber-success IS their passion. So, let's benefit from it. What other mayor has cleaned up their city to the extent Rudy has?

Ask us if we'd vote for someone similar to Rudy.

Like Lee Iacocca, for instance? What about political exp?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't doubt it.

However, the fact is this whole incident occurred under the Bush Administration (which ironically has been brewing since his father's administration).

The point was, why are we throwing all the weight on Guiliani for 9/11? I guess we can blame him for the other 2 planes crashes (one hitting the Pentagon), right?

When those planes ran into 100 story towers filled with people, you couldn't do much but pray everyone gets out of there safely (bless the souls who didn't make it).

BTW Revaldullton, please use an online spelling & grammar check.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2979
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, Richard Daley Jr. & Chicago.

Also Bill Campbell & Shirley Franklin of Atlanta (Bill Campell landed the Olympics & started the momentum while Shirley Franklin saw the population boom & continued the momentum).

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5284
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever credibility Gulianni had went out the window when he tried to make 9/11 his "personal brand" and when he reversed almost every position that he had taken as mayor of NYC for his failed presidential campaign.
There's not nearly enough money to be made as mayor of Detroit for that snake-oil salesman to cross the Michigan State Line, so why not start a thread speculating how Detroit would benefit from the next mayor being a Leprechaun, a space alien or Elvis?
If Detroit is lucky, they might get four years of Dave Bing, as soon as the Kilpatrick Crime Family, (our local version of the Bush Crime Family), loses their grip on the office of mayor...

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People look at Gulianni as some kind of knight riding in on a white horse to help save Detroit from itself. Do a background check on his history as NY mayor. Don't just look at what he did during a major but localized tragedy. He had appointees go to jail on criminal charges. He supported the police on brutality and sexual abuse cases that rocked the department and gained national headlines. He openly cheated on his wife while in office (does that remind you of someone else we know).

He took advantage of a unique set of circumstances (one which I hope to never see again) and was able to parlay that into a presidential run. Other than that he is what he is, A Politician.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn barnes actually said something I can agree with.

Hot Damn, there might be hope for us all

the good rev

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad I asked. And I really enjoyed reading these. Thanks.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Guiliani's cheating ways, association with crooks and poor judgment were common knowledge. Guess not. No wonder he thought he could run for President. After everything that's happened with Kwame, why would you want to bring in someone who abused NYC staff and property to carry on an affair with his mistress and to reward his political buddies? That's what Guiliani did while he was in office. Whatever good he did for NYC, personally, his behavior is no different than what Kwame's done or is accused of doing.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question of this thread feeds directly into the misguided fascination that because he has a connection to NYC, he could successfully lead any city at any time. What's the post-coital glee in this wet dream of having a New Yorker save Detroit? Woody Allen as his chief of staff?

For some on this forum, if you carved "I love New York" into a freshly laid turd, they would wolf it down like it was a doughnut, smiling like they won the lottery.

Fuck Rudy.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fuck Rudy"

More than likely, he would say the same thing about Detroit.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 5166
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't really make any sense, Ferntruth. You met him?

Southofeight, I really don't see that. Read the posts. Most of what I've noticed is hostility towards a Republican and envy/defensiveness toward NY.

I think carpetbaggers are rarely embraced anywhere (with the exception of Hilary Clinton), and I don't see anyone from outside Detroit being able to show up here and get elected.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"(the libs hero once upon a time until you kicked him to the curb quicker than hugh grant kicked that hooker out of his car)"

Revaldullton earns the quote of the week award for this one. I've actually never heard this line before.

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“a small man in search of a balcony.”

Jimmy Breslin

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honesty!

Rudy has better things to do with the rest of his life!

<313>

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.