Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » My 1000th post Rant! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what is so wrong with Detroit?
1. The auto industry: Detroit was once a diverse economy but it gave it up to be the arsenal of Democracy, it is now a one industry city that has never adjusted to automation, deindustrialization as well as the flight that started in Detroit in the 50s! Yes I know it made Detroit the city it was but it also has made it the city it is.
2. City Officials are Corrupt! We need to find a way to change that if it means all records are made public to cut down on corruption, than I am all for it, we need honest city officials who have the city's best interest at heart.
3. Public Transit! We need a comprehensive transit system that works at all costs. The cost of gas is rising and public transit rider numbers will only go up!
4. Housing, Detroit has some of the best housing stock in the country, but people should not be able to buy it if the can not afford the upkeep, that said there should be more incentive programs to help home owners.
5. We don't cherish our past, we demolish it by neglect. It just can't happen; We need to have a law stating it is illegal to abandon a building ,and that by owning the building you are 100% responsible for all aspect of upkeep and that if you leave it abandoned for 3 months you relinquish the rights to that building. Also that you can not demolish a building without money, backing and a plan that is approved by an independent committee. Also if the building is over 50 years old all modifications must be approved by Preservation Wayne.
6. Schools, we need to fix our schooling situation, every available dollar should be utilized to upgrade and enhance the learning experience of our youth.
7. Go Green, by going green we will again diversify our economy and allow for much more in terms of job creation and much more in terms of a livable environment for future generations. Not to mention just simple upkeep of all city parks. The Money is there it is just mismanaged! Demand MORE!
8. Job creation I am the prime example, a life long Detroiter with a degree, who loves the city and wants to help move it in the right direction. Yet I cannot find a Job for the life of me and may have to move in order to do so. I have been looking for the past year and the possibilities have been bleak at best. Why is it that a city like Chicago can have 30 non profit job openings a day but Michigan as a state only has max 60 a month? There is something wrong with that equation. I want to stay in my city and make a difference; But as the days go by it looks very unlikely that I will be able to continue to reside in the city where my heart is.
9. Cut off expansion of Detroit water system and with it curb sprawl. If it was scaled back it could increase density in the inner burbs and especially in the D.
10. Demand more from your city, Why are Detroiters so damn complacent with the way things are. We deserve better! Who says when a city is only at half of its max population it has to get half of City services, and representation.

SO that is my 2 cents, for my 1000th post.
feel free to add others and comment!

Felt good to get that rant out.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bad mojo to use a milestone post as a rant! ;)

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the exception of corruption Urban, all I see are dollar signs, sad but true

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, just what this place needs, another treatise where a clairvoyant posts the "truths" they recognize being wrong with Detroit.

Moderator please cross-post in the "7 Truths thread," the "Why I see Detroit through a different lens" thread, the "Detroit needs higher Taxes more Services" thread... on and on ad nauseum.

Discuss!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7721
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moderator, please move the above post to the People Who Carry The Torch of Livernoisyard MegaThread.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 617
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...how about the IDKFTIKPOOOA thread?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My 1000th post Rant!"

We Don't Want Any!

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 22, 2008)

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a few thoughts:

1. Detroit is more diverse than you're giving it credit for. I read an article the other day (that I can't find at the moment) that placed direct employment of the automotive industry at less than 5%. Recent job creation announcements have mostly been non-automotive. I've never understood why so many people are just willing to throw away what still remains a lucrative, high-tech source of employment for a great number of people. People still need cars. The automotive industry isn't going anywhere; the manufacturing portion may continue to shrink.

For instance, did you know that Harman/Becker (think JBL, Infinity, Harman/Kardon, Mark Levinson) is expanding and adding ~100 jobs in the near future? They supply audio systems to just about every automotive company on the planet. High tech, automotive, and growing. That's not the only company, either.

My company has hired half a dozen people so far this year. It's not much, but it's one of countless high-tech companies in the area that are doing so. You'll never see that make the papers, though, when a headline like "GENERAL MOTORS SLASHES 50,000 JOBS" sells more papers.

2. Agreed.

3. I think that's an overly optimistic statement. Shiny new trains running up major traffic corridors will be a plus to the region, but only if they don't bankrupt the surrounding communities in the process. Most people will still have to (or chose to drive) regardless. We're not Manhattan.

4. I'm not sure what you're saying here. You want to make it harder for people to buy a home, but at the same time you want to help them? It would be great if everyone had pride in their home, but it's not something that can be legislated.

5 & 6. No argument here.

7. Green is good, but with moderation. A little basic conservation goes a long way. Unless Al Gore's paying, I don't want to foot the bill to outfit the entire country in wind/solar technology.

8. You have a degree, but you don't mention in what. It's not a criticism, it's a matter of supply and demand. A simple degree these days barely gets you in the door. I graduated with an electrical engineering degree, and I have to turn away local recruiters on a weekly basis. A few months back I traded in a good paying job for a 20% raise with a company closer to my home.

9. I don't think this will in itself curb sprawl. I think the price of gas will have a far greater impact.

10. 100% agreed. I live in a city where relatively little happens, and I've found myself at more city council meetings than I'd ever have imagined.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My degree is Social Science with an emphasis in Political Science which I agree doesn't give me a whole lot of direction none the less I can not find a Non profit or social service job to save my life. I check the web sites I know the right people the jobs just aren't there. I have one goal make a difference in the lives of others. It is just hard to find a job in this city doing that.

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoulda used your 1000th post rant to call out all the people and/or comments on DetroitYes that piss you off :-)

After all, you've earned it! Happy 1000!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2930
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Yeah, I'll do that when I hit 5000.

Unfortunately, I'm not trying to get banned. :-)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 204
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump - whatever. Let Urban have some slack. Even though I'll not read the complete rant until maybe Thursday, just browsing, looks like it's a pretty good post. Congrats on having self-esteem and conviction. Not everybody here studies each and every thread for repetitivity.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, nice job on your millennial post. I'm in about 80% agreement with you. I think your #10 reason says it all. Most Detroiters are too concerned with buying shiny hubcaps that spin backward to worry about such ethereal matters as "saving the city".

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7140
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Unfortunately, I'm not trying to get banned.

Yeah... unfortunately! :-)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A job is like a loan, Urban. The trick to getting a job is not needing one.

Let's be useful for a change, kids; let's help Urban with his job search. Answer this, Urban: what is your passion? In other words, if you could get any job you wanted, what would your dream job be (even if it's a nonexistent job you have to invent)?

I know quite a few people in the nonprofit sector (shit, I suppose that includes me, doesn't it?). The common thread is that they're willing to forego wealth (but not eating, or living indoors) in order to make Earth a better place to hang. I suspect many of my fellow DYers also ply trades in that sector. We should be able to accomplish something here.

Youngprofessionaldetroiter
Username: Youngprofessionaldetroiter

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Urban. Your problem is that your job doesn't exist. It's that you are not well versed in the process of selling yourself and finding the job.

Few things:

(1) Most jobs are not posted in craigslist or monster. (or for our over-50 group hehe, the help wanted ads). Most interviews are recruited through networking.

(2) There are plenty of jobs where helping people is central to the core. My ex-gf is a practicing attorney who wants to make the shift to moving into development (fundraising) for a non-profit she really believes in. Those non-profits also need organization administrative help, etc. Figure out your skill sets and passions and maybe one of us can help you get some ideas on what a good target job would be.

(3) Learn the art of the informational interview. Once you figure out what kind of job you're looking for, immediately go after informational interviews with people with those positions. Learn what they're looking for. Ask for referrals to places that might be hiring. Ask for referrals to trade groups where you can network with other professsionals in those fields. Ask for referrals to other people who might be willing to give an informational interview.

All is not lost. Plenty of opportunities here. One thing I'm learning about Metro Detroit is there are a lot unfulfilled needs, but our region has a hard time matching people with the right skills to those needs. Or training potential employees with those skills Maybe it's a 60 year reliance on having 3 major employers in the region, I dunno. It's crazy, IMHO.

But anyway. Opportunities a plenty. Let us know how we can help.

YPD

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My passion is helping people, and providing resources to them that they could not normally get. If I had a dream job though it would be with green building, although I don't have construction experience I would like to educate people on the benefits of building green. None the less I would love to work in the non profit sector at any level for now to just gain experience. Eventually I may want to open my own non profit but that is at least 10 years down the road. I check out comnet.org daily as well as Idealist but options are bleak where as in Chicago they have a site like NPO.net. My Father went to school with many in the sector but there NPO's do not have extra $. I did an internship in 2003 for The Greening of Detroit and would love to do nonprofit work again.

If anyone is willing to pass on my resume I am more than willing to send it to people. Josephrashid@gmail.com
Thanks to all,
Urban

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on July 23, 2008)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VOLUNTEER MORE. Varying capacities.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, did you get an e-mail from me yesterday?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, good g-note rantage.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, can't say I got one SOD.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.